Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Subfloor insulation at 8500 feet in Colorado.
etkeeney
# Posted: 20 Aug 2016 11:50

Love to hear some suggestions on insulation techniques under the sub floor of my cabin. I've read R-10 between joists is good. But not much about vapor barriers and/or additional plywood covering the R-10 underneath. I even read one recommendation of spray foaming everything underneath instead.

Ideas?

Thx!
Eric

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Aug 2016 14:58

FWIW to you, minimum energy code floor insulation inCO is R19. See map and data ... http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/?state=Colorado

I believe every county in CO enforces zoning and construction by permit only. I would start with checking the AHJ, authority having jurisdiction for their requirements.

You might also want to Goggle "building science" and search thatsite for relevant info oninsulation and air & vaporbarriers.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Aug 2016 15:12

At 8500 ft I'd consider more than R-19, even if not required. It's really easy to put R-30 between the joists, but you do need 2x8s or 2x10s to accommodate it. It will keep your toes warm in the extreme cold. As for the plywood beneath, it may cause moisture problems if not vented. To keep out the mice, I'd look into using 1/4" wire mesh.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 22 Aug 2016 11:14 - Edited by: Atlincabin

At our cabin in northern BC, we put R40 rock wool between the joists and covered the bottom with 1/2" pressure-treated plywood. Our cabin is on concrete piers with easy access underneath for cold air, people and critters, but so far no issues with critters getting in. Porcupines will chew on plywood (they apparently like the glue), particularly at edges, so it is useful to put some hardware cloth as mentioned by bldginsp, or heavy staples over the edges of each sheet to discourage them. Floor is always toasty warm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.