Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pine t&g nath question
Steeny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 14:34

My 10x12 office shed ceiling measures 110-3/4". It is a single slope, starting at 8' high and going up to 10' at the front.

I have pine tongue and groove paneling ready to put up there. Each piece is 5" wide. Just put it up on the back wall and it looks great.

The question is should I bother trying to mess with that 3/4 of an inch extra and somehow mathematically figure on cutting the first board and the last board so they are both partial boards of equal size? Or should I just use 22 boards and cover the 3/4" gap at the top end of the ceiling with trim?

If tge former, what size do I need to cut the boards? I am terrible at math.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 15:51 - Edited by: bldginsp

If you leave a bit of gap between each board, it will eat up the extra in a hurry. You should leave a gap to allow for expansion. You can mark out the rafters at 5-1/8" increments and put the boards to these lines.

Or just start at the bottom, work your way up and do what you have to at the last one. Just be careful to keep them parallel as you go. What seems like an important aesthetic decision to you now will be completely forgotten later. That is, unless you have friends or neighbors who scrutinize the spacing of T+G on other peoples ceilings. If that's the case, I'll never let anyone in my cabin, because one gable is 5/16" lower than the other- for shame!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.