Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Log Home Building Class...
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Sep 2016 09:08 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

...OK, I still want to attend the LHBA classes, but I found a very local guy who does the same, in fact, attended LHBA class years ago. He has been constructing log cabins all over his property and have them set up for hands on schooling. Anyway, sounds like a great opportunity. I will attend in October, cameras allowed. Looking forward to it, going to be fun.

Cowracer
# Posted: 23 Sep 2016 09:23

Hosting a hands-on class sounds like a great way to get free labor. LOL Anyone want to come over to my place for a "How to get rid of 30 metric tons of leaves" class next spring?

Tim

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Sep 2016 11:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

We are not really building anything. He has props of small scale log walls, and he just uses it to demo lifting logs on the wall, ridge log etc. He has a enclosed section where he has the rafter system exposed (in a building to keep it dry) for demo and we do chink a small section of a log wall. All the log buildings on his property, he built himself and are complete, the demo stuff is smaller scale unfinished. But the graduates do volunteer to help out other grads for hands on experience too.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 27 Sep 2016 22:31

and where is this class?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Sep 2016 08:44

Quoting: RedTailHawk
and where is this class?

Are you in Washington? Its in Onalaska.

http://onalaskalogbuildingschool.com/

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Oct 2016 21:38 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, graduated with my certificate. Nice certificate. It went very well. Went well into full construction starting from planning, set backs, then each aspect, foundations, harvesting timber, best time to cut and peel, insects, what building depts want, most inspectors will ask "what am I supposed to look for" as this is not the normal inspector stuff, but its just log diameter and how its bolted or pinned. Also, log care, finished, log lifting in place just using 2 and 3 pulley blocks and lifting piles. It takes 2 people, one can do it, but a buddy is perfect. He had working small models where we got to lift wall logs, rafters and ridge logs. How to roof it, insulation etc.

It appears all have to be engineered now. But basic rule, wall logs at 8" to get R value, rafter logs 7", at 4 foot spans, ridge log (load bearing) 12" and bigger and usually a center support for the ridge. The supports goes to the footing/foundation on its own pad.

Had a couple from Florida and Tennessee who flew in for the class. Rest within my state, I was the closest. It was 9 students, 2 pairs were couples. A local graduate was building, so today, I went to look at his project. The on the way home, the wife and I stopped at a cool place for lunch ranchhousebbq.com

Anyway, full weekend, its gone, didnt get any yard work done and now I have to go to work tomorrow morning.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.