Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Formaldehyde in OSB
paulz
# Posted: 24 Sep 2017 11:10

As a complete construction rookie, when I built my cabin 2 years ago I used OSB for the sheathing, walls and roof, the stuff is everywhere around here on track home developments. I still haven't finished the interior walls and you can smell it strongly when you first walk in. So I did a little reading about OSB and apparently formaldehyde is a bad thing to be breathing. Guess i better step up my game on the interior. I do get itchy eyes and plugged sinuses when I sleep there but it doesn't seem to bother my wife.

Bad stuff eh?

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 25 Sep 2017 01:38

There is quite a lot of modern building products that contain formaldehyde. It really depends on where it was manufactured and what the specs are for that factory producing a product. I think its nasty stuff. I have noticed it in a lot of the "cheap" click together laminate and MDF trims around here seem to have a lot of that stuff that will choke your sinuses up. It does take quite some time to off-gas, though I am unsure if it ever completely stops off-gasing. Hopefully you get the interior finished and it stops bothering you!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.