Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Hunting/Loafing Cabin Ideas
trailtec
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 08:14

Hello to all on this forum, I am a brand new member, I am looking for ideas, I have a mountain location that I want to build a small cabin, approximately 12x16 and deftinitely want a front porch and back deck, most of my materials will be hauled in by farm tractor or sxs, building area will be fairly level, possible looking at buying milled logs by the foot or a stick frame and siding, I can't seen to find any plans, thanks for any help, I am in East Tn.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 08:42

I used http://www.townandcountryplans.com and you can adjust the floor plan around with white out if needed. If you see a layout, but want more footage, stretch it out on the gable ends, this wont change the load carrying properties of the structure. I used white out on mine, submitted to county, no issues.

I have no skin in the game with this website, just found it useful for me and at a decent cost.

I would use real plywood and stay away from strand board or OSB. But that is just me. Inside smells nice, not like a glue factory and if it gets wet, doesnt swell and mush up and get all soft to where you can throw a dead cat right through it.

ILFE
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 09:50

First, here is a list of building resources that I add to, as I locate more of them.

Here is a fairly recent thread that may help you, as well.

ILFE
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 09:52

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
... or OSB

Why was that stuff even developed? Is it cheaper than typical plywood? I'm 52 and remember it on homes and such as a boy. (My father was a general contractor.) It never seemed to be of any decent quality, honestly.

rockies
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 18:29

I would not choose OSB as a sheathing material. For walls I would use 1/2" plywood and for roofs at least 5/8 (3/4 would be better). I also think that whatever piece of lumber is required structurally you should go one size larger. Better strength, more room for insulation.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 18:55 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: ILFE
Why was that stuff even developed?

New construction with all plywood (during construction phase) smells like a lumber mill or a cabinet shop inside. OSB homes during construction smells like a glue factory.

I basically banned it from all my property, I don't even allow it on the grounds. I will allow the particle board, but only for counter tops. I wont accept particle board furniture (3 times as heavy, 1/3rd as strong)

I find OSB T1-11 at $42 a sheet, while genuine plywood T1-11 was $36. OK, Its not primed, but I can prime before I paint. So genuine plywood siding is cheaper. Just plain plywood, there is $6 difference per sheet, ie the plywood being more. Looks ugly, so builders cheat and plywood roof overhangs only where you look underside of roof. Rest is OSB. I hate OSB with a passion.

old243
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 21:45

One thing to be aware of, porkupines love chewing on plywood, and I expect osb as well. Cabin undersides , should be protected, to keep out all the critters. Also walls where they can reach. We used, used roofing steel on outside walls and underneath. After painting steel looks good, or you can purchase new colored. Good luck with your build. old243

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Sep 2018 08:05

I started wiring houses back in '92 and being young I moon lighted with all the trades to make extra money and learn. OSB is a pain and cheap. Water hits it and it swells like a sponge. With that being said when I moved to the south I found this product. And i will tell you i took a piece, tossed it in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and a week later it look, felt and snapped just like the new stuff. And no glue smell. i used it to side my hunting shack and have been very happy with it.

https://lpcorp.com/products/exterior/siding-trim/products/panel-siding#secondaryNav

snobdds
# Posted: 1 Oct 2018 13:56

Plywood has gone downhill in quality over the years, where OSB has gone up in quality. The individual layers of wood in plywood have a lot of voids it seems these days. Put a piece of plywood down on a floor that has some missing veneers and you will notice the bounce in the floor. It will always squeak and no amount of nailing will get rid of the void.

OSB is solid throughout the sheet. I have used OSB for years and not found it to be sub-par to plywood. Give me a sheet of Advantac OSB or plywood anyday.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.