Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / The Poop Deck
honusbam
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 01:07

No, this is not a navy-related post.

If you followed my previous post, you know that I have problems trying to go to the bathroom in my state. I solved my problem and had fun in the process.

I realized that I was going to need to use some type of pop-up temporary poop shelter. I decided to use the Grand Trunk Goods Dunny Shelter (much cheaper on Amazon). Yeah, it is pretty big, but I like to have room when I am pondering the mysteries of the universe. Also doubles as a room for a nice shower.

Next, I needed a toilet. I decided to go with the PETT/WagBag solution. I agree, the use of these bags is a little expensive, but the benefits far outweigh the costs, IMHO. Much better than having to haul off a bucket o' poop. We will take lessons from the composting toilet and add some sawdust to our business to help with odor control.

Finally, I wanted to make this fit well into my future camp plans, so I built the poop deck tonight. I will be adding a railing (for hanging towels, etc...) around the deck with the 'entrance' to the left of the picture you see. The deck is 6'x8', made from pressure treated lumber. Once the lumber dries out I will stain it.

Anyway, my county/state shut me down on most other options, so I decided to make the most of it. I have been pretty anxious to get to work on the property, but the snowpack has been prohibitive, so it is great to be able to build something.
P1010848.jpg
P1010848.jpg

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 07:19

That is cool. I was actually going to do the same thing to accommodate a shower using an ice fishing hut before I built an inside bathroom. You can heat this, too, when temps drop.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 07:41

nice!!!!!!!!!!!

honusbam
# Posted: 5 Apr 2011 18:22

So, my daughter and I put the finishing touches on this last night, and it is amazing how a kid's mind works. I am explaining to her how the toilet will work, where it will be, etc.... She asks me with a lot of concern 'what about when I have to go in the middle of the night?'

I explained to her that we will be able to bring the toilet inside at night.

I also realized through this experience with her that kids worry about some of the same things my grandpa worries about: where to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, who's going to feed them, who's going to bathe them, who's going to change them. I guess life goes full circle!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.