Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Driveway erosion....water bars?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 12:14 - Edited by: Smawgunner

My drive was graveled about 6 years ago but it's in rough shape again. Problem is that water literally pours off the hill and down the side, creating a rut at the edge. I don't get a lot of rain coming down the driveway that's NOT from the hill. The only serious rut is at the side from water off the hill.
Question....should I use water bars say every 30 feet...or should I use some kind of drain tile on the side down the length of the drive? There is LOTS of debris and I fear the drain would clog quickly.
EAEB2DC7B82E46ED9.jpeg
EAEB2DC7B82E46ED9.jpeg
6123FE849B33467DA.jpeg
6123FE849B33467DA.jpeg
6E9AB5AB2F3642E5A.png
6E9AB5AB2F3642E5A.png
AA32E382ED604FF4A.jpeg
AA32E382ED604FF4A.jpeg

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 13:11 - Edited by: DaveBell

Can you post some pictures from the bottom of the hill looking up?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 13:31

Just added one.

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 17:27 - Edited by: DaveBell

You have to divert the water from the hill before it gets to the driveway by digging a ditch on the uphill side.

You then need grade/slope the driveway one way or the other to handle the rain that falls onto the driveway. Probably grade it high on the hillside and low on the street side. You can go either way on sloping the driveway, just need to not allow the water to get a running start.

Water bars by them selves will deteriorate over time from tires and water flow.
Ditch_and_Grading.jp.jpg
Ditch_and_Grading.jp.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 17:31

Look at Andrew Camarata videos on youtube, he is a master at diverting water from driveways.

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 17:48

Is that a nice poison ivy vine growing up that left tree?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 18:31

Quoting: DaveBell
Is that a nice poison ivy vine growing up that left tree?

Virginia creeper

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 20:19

Thanks all. I've been digging a 4-6 inch trough every year at the right where the hill comes down. Problem is I'm getting older and it's a muther. It fills quickly with leaves and mud. Is there a drainage pipe I could use or would that just get clogged?

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 20:30

Rent a big backhoe. They deliver. I'm 61, I let the hydraulics do the work.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 20:42

Just a thought, could you ditch out the high side a bit and line with 4-6” rip-rap?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 21:09

I thought about rip-rap. I think it'd get buried in mud/leaves and then I'd have to dig it out for plan B.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 08:27

A larger ditch should let most of the leaves flow down with water but I’m not sure there is anyway to stop a ditch from slowing filling in.

old243
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:08

I would recommend thinning the bush out on both sides, let the sun in to dry it out. Ditch it on the upper side , or a culvert across part way up if necessary. old 243

snobdds
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 10:42

The problem with water bars is they eventually fill with sediment, then you're back to square one.

I have seen people use old highway guardrails dug into road way as a water bar. They work surprising well. Plus it's easy to clean out the silt a couple of times a year. You can drive over them with no worries of breaking them.

Youtube has lots of videos on how this is done.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:51

My driveway is steep and also cut into a hillside. Always been a mess with water cutting trenches down the middle. Last fall I dug a ditch along the uphill side and also cambered the driveway towards the ditch, figuring it was safer in the event of a vehicle mishap.

Been great so far, no more trenches down the center.

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:23

Like snobdds said. Water bars will just fill up or worse. Erode a few spots real bad.

You have no high side ditch so will never fix the issue with out one. Re direct all the water coming off the hill to the top side of that culvert. Yes this is going to be work and you may loose a tree or two but there's really no way around it. Dig from the top side and put the dirt on the low side, then re gravel. If you have spots that are flat use driveway fabric to keep the stone mixing with the dirt.

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Feb 2020 13:46

Plan on taking that hill back six feet, 2 feet for the ditch and at least 4 feet to bevel the hill. Then plant some nice ground cover on the bevel to control/slow erosion. You can save that right hand tree at the bottom. Make that driveway pretty Marine!

Quoting: Brettny
Dig from the top side and put the dirt on the low side

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.