Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Frost-proof sink trap?
SE Ohio
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 14:18

Anything commercially available? I don't want to have to add antifreeze to my drains every time I leave the cabin, and I do want to have traps due to kids dropping things in drains, etc.

If not commercially available, I would think something could be rigged with flexible piping that will allow a freeze without splitting?

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 15:33

There are traps made that have a screw on cap at the bottom of the weir. They can be hard to find. Easy to drain the trap that way. Works unless you are connected to a septic or sewer line; good for grey water system.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 15:36 - Edited by: wakeslayer

My bathroom sinks at home have little cleanouts at the bottom of the traps.
At my cabin, I just run a pint or so of the pink stuff down the drain. RV is GRAS, generally regarded as safe by the FDA. I use the RV in my boat engines, also.

Steve961
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 18:27 - Edited by: Steve961

What you want is the HepVo waterless valve. I bought these for my cabin sink and shower so I don't have to add antifreeze when I leave. It also lets me use the cabin in the winter without any worries.

HepVo Waterless Valve

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 19:53

Quoting: Steve961
What you want is the HepVo waterless valve. I bought these for my cabin sink and shower so I don't have to add antifreeze when I leave. It also lets me use the cabin in the winter without any worries.

Wow that is awesome. I've been thinking about this same issue for our upcoming build. I didn't want to have to use the pink antifreeze each time we use the place in the winter, and this is a great solution. Thanks.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 20:12

Hepvo valve

Thanks Steve- I'll check it out. One less worry when I leave the cabin during winter!

DirtBikeMomRN
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 19:32

Thanks Steve! we're just starting our indoor plumbing (after roughing it for 10+ years) and this is definitely a concern, as we do use our cabin in the winter. Thank you again! :D

Rob_O
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 20:16

Fernco makes a rubber sink trap that's supposed to be freeze proof.

larry
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 07:53

Quoting: Steve961
What you want is the HepVo waterless valve

thanks Steve. I will be completing my water closet this spring and that is exactly what i need!

groingo
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 10:36

I just pour veggy oil down the drain to fill the trap, works fine.

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 12:35

Quoting: groingo
veggy oil down the drain to fill the trap

Awesome. So simple, but you have to have a 'checkout list' and always do so when leaving.

larry
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 21:18

Quoting: groingo
I just pour veggy oil down the drain to fill the trap, works fine.

are you on a septic? if so would you be concerned with a thick scum layer or does it break down?

Conrad
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:15

We are the importers of Hepvo valves in the US. The valves are used almost exclusively in the RV industry. They replace the p-trap and the secondary vent. They do not trap water so you don't have to winterize them because there is nothing to freeze. You can purchase Hepvo online through several RV suppliers. Gary Bunzer the RV Doctor has a video on YouTube. If you wish to view it here is the linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QV6drbFbK0. If you need information or have questions you can call 800-241-5236

SE Ohio
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:16 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Spam.

PS - The rubber sink trap mentioned earlier in this thread has worked well, no winterization required.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:40

I don't think it's spam if he states up front that he is a distributor, and tells of numerous suppliers. Spam is deceptive and/or unwanted advertising. This isn't deceptive, and it is wanted, since the original question was:

Quoting: SE Ohio
Anything commercially available?

Suppliers have a right to tell us what they supply if they do so appropriately. I'm glad he did cause I need this too.

Conrad
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 12:15

My Hepvo note is not spam. It is a legitimate product manufactured by Europe's largest supplier of plastic plumbing. Here is their website if you need more proof. http://overseas.wavin.com/overseas/Soil_&_waste_systems.html

SE Ohio
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 13:07

From dictionary.com

spam: disruptive messages, especially commercial messages posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.

The thread has been dead since March of 2012, now some seller finds this thread and adds to it. Spam in my book.

How many other posts does Conrad have? A search for poster Conrad yielded only the two posts in this thread. Not a regular user, an opportunist spammer.

No thanks, Conrad. We can perform our own internet searches if we want to find an importer.

Conrad
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 13:25

SE Ohio

Just trying to help someone with a problem. I believe the question was "is there anything commercially available" not "what is the definition of spam"

creeky
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 13:28

I'm in a situation where i'm building a rather overly ambitious washroom and one of my concerns is how to maintain a greywater system that may/is likely to freeze. the waterless trap solves that problem.

Thx Steve for the link.

tho some PR department might be working a little too much overtime...

SE Ohio
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 13:39 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Conrad,

Congrats on your third post here.

I was the one who posted the original "commercially available?" post in February of 2012. You are a little late to help me with my problem from a year and a half ago, and as I also posted, the rubber sink trap I ended up using has worked rather well.

Here is a link to the rubber trap, and no, I don't own Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Inc-PFT-150-Flex-Rubber/dp/B000BQRY4S

At $8 and some change, this might be a cheaper solution than the "imported valve"?

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 16:48

I was told you can pour what is called RV antifreeze into the traps. It won't harm the septic system. Anyone have experience with this?

Steve961
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 20:39

Yes, you can definitely use RV antifreeze, and it shouldn't harm the septic in the small amounts you would use to freeze proof the trap.

BTW, I'm the one who recommended the HepVo earlier in the thread. I have had these installed on my kitchen sink and shower for over a year now and they work great. The best part for me was being able to install my shower trap, a horizontally mounted HepVo, indoors under a shower platform.

rockies
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 20:45

http://www.hepvo.com/
I usually try to include a link to a product I've found that may help someone in particular or just be interesting to the group. It's usually more helpful than generic statements like "you should look for something like a ....... on google". I don't work for any manufacturing companies or represent any products, but I do look around a lot and it's amazing how often someone in the world who has had the same problem ended up designing and manufacturing the solution, but because they aren't part of some huge company nobody hears about their invention.
For example, I plan on using a composting toilet in my cabin, but I've heard that the composting process can be disrupted by the addition of urine to the mix. Big companies like Sun Mar and Bio-let are often the choice for a composting toilet, but with their designs everything goes into one compartment. By chance I saw a tiny ad for a product called "Natures Head" http://natureshead.net/
It separates the urine from the solid waste. It seems to be a better choice, and I like showing people stuff like this because I'll bet most people don't know it exists, or even that there might be a problem with "everything" composting in one compartment. ( BTW, I don't like "SPAM" either, except with Monty Python) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
ENJOY!

creeky
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:31

steve961. are you using the hepvo in freezing conditions?

what i like is the appearance that the hepvo could remain functional while winter is upon us. the rubber trap is not going to break when it freezes, but it's not going to let water through either.

Steve961
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:04

Yes, I do use the HepVo traps in the winter. The nice part is that I don't have to worry about freeze proofing the drains every time I leave. I do drain all the supply lines once in the fall though, and just use jugs of water I bring along with me.

creeky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 08:42

coolio. put two on order. ouch. the "shizzer shack" costs keep rising

larry
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 23:34 - Edited by: larry

Hepvo waterless trap!!!! i have 2 and they work great. get them, you won't be sorry. does a frozen p-trap flow??? i think not

SE Ohio
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 16:51

Correct, a frozen p-trap doesn't flow. Doesn't need to, 'cause if it is below freezing inside the cabin, I'm not there (or have just arrived and am starting a fire, and will be thawed in an hour).

Hepvo valve http://www.hepvo.com/ $22.75

Rubber P trap $8.xx

$8 trap has worked great, and I can retrieve a lost ring, etc if it gets dropped down the drain.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.