Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Radios for good reception in northeastern Ontario
getoutdoors
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 10:33

Hi: I have a cabin 100 km south of Chapleau and we are trying to find out what radio might be good. We did take an inexpensive Eton one up but it just doesn't seem to pickup or hold stations for longer than a couple of minutes. Are there any models people have had success with?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 13:00

Grundig short wave radio, with the optional remote dipole antenna. Hang it from a tree., Rolls up in a handy little wind up spool.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 14:32

I'll second the Grundig, but if you are looking for std broadcast (AM/FM) go to C Crane Company. I just bought a used one from a friend and I have quadrupled the number of standard broadcast stations I am able to receive, and I haven't even done the external antenna yet.

getoutdoors
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 16:03

Thanks so much for your responses. Was there a particular model of Grundig or CCrane that you recommend? Also re the dipole antenna, where would I find that? I'm very new to the remote stuff, so appreciate the help. Also I would like to get a good pair of two-way radios - recommendations?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 10:50

The dipole was listed as the options. Go to the grundig site, find a model. They have the optiosn also. They will do sts AM and FM also, but also 160, 80 40 and 20 meter ham radio, so it doubles as a nice bug out radio also for the zombie apocolypse. I'm a licensed extra class ham operator and like this little unit.

I have found the best prices to be on Amazon.com

I have thsi unit:
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030

I can not fid the dipole wind up antenna, but I have one and its made by Grundig. Maybe discontinued???

getoutdoors
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 12:51

Thankyou. I have an opportunity to get an GS350DL and the on-line manual says it takes an F connection antenna. Would you recommend an antenna that uses that kind of connection? I checked and the wind up is not available anymore.

Anonymous
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 17:17

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/ccradio-ep.aspx#.UJGQCiRZ5Iw

This is the CCrane model I have; bought it from a camp friend when he copped a super deal on a Grundig at a flea market and couldn't pass it up.
For such a small radio I am very impressed with its reception ability both on AM and FM. There are external antenna inputs for both AM & FM. I experimented on the FM band by connecting my VHF rooftop TV antenna which is highly directional and I was able to receive signals that just "weren't there" with the antenna disconnected. I plan to attach an omni-directional FM antenna on my TV mast and run a separate cable to the radio.
I think the F connector is pretty common for higher end radios.

Now for the Grundig, its much more expensive than the CCrane radio, but you certainly get what you pay for:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=718711
This is his radio and he couldn't pass it up for $200US.
This radio is awesome but I don't know what your budget is.
With just a wire for an FM antenna he is getting reception on almost every digital FM frequency. I am very impressed with this unit.

bobrok
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 17:21

Sorry, that was me above. I'm traveling and my phone refuses to log me in on occassion.

getoutdoors
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 17:49

THanks - this is very helpful. Really appreciate all of the information. I'm going to check them both out.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 18:10 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I found a dipole or wind up antenna, made by Sangean.

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/ANT-60-p1843.htm

They sell the Sangean radio too.

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 19:55

You in by Aubrey Falls?

getoutdoors
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 19:58

Yes, very near. Off of Hwy 129 just a few kilometers further north. How did you know that?

getoutdoors
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 20:01

That looks exactly like what I need. I did get the CCrane radio. It seems to work pretty well here at home - I'll see how it does up north at Christmas time.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:41

Another option is an older radio, a GE Superradio I or II has excellent reception. Superradio III's are not quite as well made.

Many car radios offer better-than-average long distance or "DX" reception. Consumer reports may still rate car radios on this performance? Kenwood was rated high at one point (have not looked recently). If you will run off battery-only, make sure the unit does not use power in the "off" mode. Reprogramming presets due to power off could quickly be annoying, too.

AM or FM radios that have an external antenna connection should also be considered, as previously mentioned, an antenna can make a good difference. Google "longwire antenna" for AM reception. An old TV VHF antenna mounted up high helps for FM reception. Aim antenna towards desired signal. (I've opted not to use an external FM antenna since burglars may think I have a desireable TV)

bobrok
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 16:54

Quoting: getoutdoors
That looks exactly like what I need. I did get the CCrane radio. It seems to work pretty well here at home - I'll see how it does up north at Christmas time.

I think you will like this radio. I just looked up 100km south of Chapleau...jeez! you're practically in the US!! At any rate you will NOT have any problems with reception unless you're hiding in a metal box or underground or something

I'm in the ADK mountains in upstate NY and I can get nighttime AM reception from all over the east coast: NYC, Phila, WVa, Chicago, etc. and in the daytime I'm pulling in clear AM from 100+ miles away.

FM should present no problem either. One of our favorite FM stations broadcasts from New Hampshire and another from Maine! I receive signals out of Canada.

I enjoy trolling around the airwaves to see how far I can pull from.

You should be very pleased with your new radio.

getoutdoors
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 17:28

Thanks. Yes, very close to Sault, Michigan. A beautiful, remote area - just wish I could spend more time there. Some day.

Well, you are in my very favourite place. I spend lots of time hiking in the ADK's - just came back two weeks ago from another visit, trying to get the 46er's in.

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 12:50

Quoting: getoutdoors
trying to get the 46er's in

Now there's a challenge!! Good luck! I'm too old for that . I'd rather play with my radio!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.