Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / No more cold butt!!! Outhouse tip
trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Feb 2013 20:23

Thought I'd pass this along for all who have cold winters. It really does work and you can leave it right in the outhouse.

Styrofoam toilet seat. Just set it over the regular seat and it's AMAZING
outhouse
outhouse

Dillio187
# Posted: 14 Feb 2013 23:32

I hope to have an outhouse for next winter!

sugarriver73
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 07:42

Like the Idea.
Has Anyone ever used a heating pad? I don't know what the power consumption would be as far as off grid?

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 09:24

The styrofoam actually feels like it is heated and I mean immediately-not after your body heat warms it up! I was really surprised and I love how it can stay right out there and not be brought inside the cabin.

Dillio-when you make your outhouse plan to have some sort of overhang over your door so that the snow doesn't build up and block the door from opening oh, and don't put it too far away from your cabin

TheWildMan
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 09:50

the amish have used styrophoam seats since the stuff was invented and an amish person got a hold of some. though they have seen a recent trend towards compost toilets built off the house instead of accross a field.

I just use a wooden seat, just plain wooden seat i got cheap, not a coated/painted one. the wooden seat (unless wet and having high moisture content, rare under normal conditions, doubly so in the cold since its so dry) is temperature neutral as well.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 11:34

You cant beat styrofoam

creeky
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 14:17

got to gets me one of those.
-17 C or 0 F is my record. and that was one cold ponder of life's mysteries indeed.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 14:30

Lol! -13F motivated my husband to find some styrofoam and carve ours out!!! So nice to have...I always hated not only the cold but the dang frost! This eliminates both!

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 16:05

-48C is out record. much needed styrofoam.....

ClimberKev
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 17:30

My inlaws have a removable seat that they keep in the cabin. Not the most attractive cabin decor. But the seat is warm when you take it out to the outhouse. I like the styrofoam idea better.

Popeye
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 19:17

The key is to sit down clothed first to warm the seat up

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 20:27

I have used styrofoam seats on an outdoor latrine at a balmy -47C. Thankfully there
Was no wind. After about 4 days of that I was sitting out there, basking in the sunshine and thinking it had finally warmed up substantially....so I checked the thermometer and it had warmed up to -38C! Styrofoam rocks!

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 21:26 - Edited by: trollbridge

I see many of you are newer members so I would like to welcome you
It's always nice to get to know new cabin owners or dreamers!

Some really cold temps mentioned above, and that makes for some hardy souls! Who else would want to use an outhouse in the middle of winter?

groingo
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 23:58

Have been using the carpet toilet lid covers just tape it to the seat, cut a hole and no more frozen butt!

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 23:38

here is an idea.
socks
socks

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 13:15

Did you think of that cabi?????? That is too, too funny!!!!

project_north
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 13:21

I just heard about the socks idea yesterday!!! Fantastic.

aktundra
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 15:17

I like blue foam the best. Tried socks and they weren't my favorite at -40.

iammyowntroublemaker
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 16:50

if using socks...i would recommend not the old scratchy wool ones.

for insulation - they do make high compressive strength rigid insulation...for those serious contemplation sessions...

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 06:50

no...the socks were a funny joke to me.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 13:15

scratchy wool gives me a rash. that could be embarrassing ...

you folks who get the -40s... yikes! takes me back to when I was a kid living in northern Canada (sask, man, nwt). I hear that -38 suddenly feeling warm, but no thank you.

still haven't found a styrofoam seat. maybe it's time to try out my carving skills.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 13:40

Quoting: creeky
scratchy wool gives me a rash. that could be embarrassing ...

funny
Quoting: creeky
maybe it's time to try out my carving skills

That's what we did-just followed the same outline of the real seat

Cabinfun
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 10:53

I just ordered this insulated seat. Worth 25 bucks to have a warm butt for family.

Insulated Seat for Outhouse or Privy

View Full-Size Image
Quantity:
( Separett )
$24.95

The # 300 Insulated Seat with Cover assures a good seal over the privy when not in use. The molded foam seat warms with your body on contact making the colder seasons more pleasant. The lid has a location for a tether to assure the lid is not separated from the unit.

http://www.separett-usa.com/
Insulated seat
Insulated seat

Salty Craig
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 15:02

When to frigid for touchdown, hover.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.