Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / solar power with backup generator power wiring diagram
foxdud
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 17:21

Hello All I am new here and was wanting some suggestions on wiring my cabin. Basically what I have done is take all the wiring from my old camper and transfer it to the new cabin almost exactly except I used regular house wiring in place of the 12v wire. I am wired from the generator into a breaker panel which distributes to the celling fan bathroom light and the receptacles from one of the receptacles under the sink I have a 120w to 12v power converter plugged in and the 12v leads going to a fused 12v distribution panel which in turn powers all of my 12v lights, water pump charges my deep cycle marine battery, and powers a small 400w power inverter which powers a small refrigerator I have recently went to Harbor Freight and bought a 45w solar panel set up and a 1000w power inverter and have planned on wiring it as shown in the picture. basically making only one receptacle hot from the generator feeding the 120w power converter to charge the battery and run everything when lugged in after unplugging the generator the batteries should be charged and taking over my power needs? Suggestions please.
cabin wiring diagram
cabin wiring diagram

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 18:43

Look's good to me,foxdud.That 1000 watt inverter has probably got a little cooling fan in it.You might want to unhook it when not in use.You will have to keep us posted as to how the solar set up works for you.

foxdud
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 22:40

Will do, I'm thinking the inverter will most likely kill the battery if left on through the night but that's the only way to keep the fridge cold. Ill let you all know what happens after I get it all installed next weekend.

Haltzy
# Posted: 29 Jul 2013 15:02

foxdud,

I have been working on my sytem for about 1 month now, experimneting, adding swapping parts etc..

I was originally using 100watts of panels, did not work.

Upgraded to 300watss, still not enough juice to keep stuff going.

Added another 200watts and we will see this week how it goes. Again this is largely based on power sonsumptions and there where multiple people using the power from our solar generator. My goal is too keep restriction on power to heating elements and power tools, and to have the batterybank charged by the end of the day each day.

I posted a JPG of my system in another post. Have a look.

One more thing I would have done right away, was to spend the money on an MPTT Charge Controler. $150 lesson there.

Chris

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Jul 2013 17:04

Quoting: Haltzy
have the batterybank charged by the end of the day each day.

...not just charged but into a float charge mode after the absorb charge period is completed. Systems should always be able to float every day under average use and average sunshine... that will provide best battery life when combined with never exceeding a depth of discharge of 50%, preferably less.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.