Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My Simple Solar Story
rmak
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 00:13 - Edited by: rmak

Since we finally have the solar power operational, I thought it might be a good idea to post what we did in detail in case anyone else is looking at a simple solar set up.

Our cabin is just a weekend get-away so our needs for power from the sun are simple, lights, a fan, a radio and a laptop.

I bought a Honda generator and had an electrician friend build a switched box so we could run from a generator if we wanted to vacuum, make coffee, etc. I also bought a deep cell battery charger in case we needed to charge the batteries for any reason from the generator.

I have to thank all the solar experts here. I never would have attempted it if I didn't have all the support and good information from the members.

I have posted the biggest frustration on the forum already. I got a lot of conflicting information from companies on the internet on exactly what components I would need.

I finally found a company in mid Ohio who does solar for Amish farms. This was what I was looking for, someone to discuss our needs face-to-face. The guys I talked to were honest, straightforward and of great help. Here's how they set me up.

I only needed one panel. Since I don't have a constant draw on the batteries, the one panel keeps the batteries filled up nicely.

The panel feeds into a charge controller that feeds two six volt deep cell batteries hooked in series. (you can see the switched circuit breaker box and charger in my battery shed). There's a fuse on the positive terminal for safety.

I ran the inverter to an inside wall of the cabin along with a display that shows me how things are going. Now I only have to switch on the inverter and the cabin has power!

I know that this is the simplest and basic solar set up, and things can get more complicated fast. However, some folks might just want to keep it simple. The whole set up cost me around $1,400, but I was able to buy parts in stages so I didn't break the bank.

I highly recommend giving it a go. As soon as I put the last wire in place, the panel started to charge even though it was an overcast day and the sun wasn't directly over the panel.

It's certainly better now then the projected $6000-$8000 to run electric to our cabin site.

I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice!

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 06:56

Congrats! What size is the panel?

Bret
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 07:14

Looks exactly like what I need to do. Can you give us a component list and wiring diagram. It would be a great help. Thanks
Bret

Scott G
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 08:31

Congrats. Very cool setup and looks like you could grow if required.

rmak
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 08:53

Chuck, the panel is 38 inches by 62 inches.
Bret, I'll try to draw up a diagram in a day or two.
Scott, adding power is possible, but with the generator option this is probably all we will need. I think with more power would come more things and gadgets. That's something I want to avoid.
Thanks, guys, for your comments!

Steve961
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 11:08

rmak:

I have a small solar system similar to yours with just a 300 watt Morningstar SureSine inverter and transfer switch for generator backup. I have found though that I haven't needed to use the generator for close to two years now.

Most of the work I do at the cabin now can be done with rechargeable or low wattage tools (drill, jigsaw) which my inverter easily handles. I have even started using hand tools such as pull saws and miter boxes instead of hauling up the generator and miter saw. We make coffee with a french press and I even found a small low wattage vacuum cleaner that works great - Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum.

Not having to haul, start up, and listen to a generator has been one of the better quality of life improvements to my cabin since I installed solar.

Steve

groingo
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 13:46

Simple yes and very nicely done, not far from what mine will be shortly.

rmak
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 14:03

Hi Groingo,
I'm sure you will have the same feeling I had when the charge light came on. Wow! A power source all my own, not beholding to anyone.

Steve,
Thanks for the tips. I think you are on the right track. It will be a great learning experience to see just how little we really need, and how to make do.
The coffee press got me to laughing. We used to drink really strong coffee using a French press. Then news came out that all the acids and oils, combined with caffeine was bad for you, so we got a drip coffee maker. The funny part is that I just heard on the news recently that doctors say now people should drink more strong unfiltered coffee. What has proven to be healthy is all the stuff we weren't supposed to have a few years ago!

beachman
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 19:38

Just got back from our cottage and we too installed a very similar set up. We have a 235 watt panel and a Blue Sky charge controller, two Trojan deep-cell 6 V batteries and a 1000W pure-sine inverter. I have a gas generator that I use for tools, run an extension cord through a window. I have no switch or set up for the generator and I am not overly concerned about it right now. I plan to run some wiring to a distribution box to get a few outlets and lights in the cottage to compliment the gas lights we have. I was concerned about lightning so I installed a ground link from the panel to a grounding plate, then grounded (or will do this) the system to the same grounding plate. I also put in a lightning arrestor to the wires at the panel. We too only use the place on weekends and the occasional week during the Summer. With the grounding now in place, I can finally leave the panel working all week while not there with less worry.

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 21:44

Quoting: Bret
Looks exactly like what I need to do. Can you give us a component list and wiring diagram. It would be a great help. Thanks Bret

Wonderful thread.

Can't wait for the list and diagram.

I just may be able to do this (without a PHD).

Cheers, rmak.

Gary O'

rmak
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 20:48

Here is the promised diagram listing the components. For some reason photobucket can't seem to reduce it for me. Administrators, if this is too big you can have a go at reducing it, or I'll try later. Thanks.

Bret
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 07:46

Thanks for the diagram. Bret

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 07:57

Curious.. About how much did this system cost?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 15:20

Great setup! Congrats. That is very similar to what I have envisioned for our little retreat. Thanks for sharing.

rmak
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 15:21

Hi Rich,
The whole set-up cost around $1,400. I bought the batteries, cables, fuse, inverter and battery charger and ran the system by charging with a generator every once in a while. That cost about $700.

The panel, cables for that, charge controller and meter was another $700. I was able to save up for the second go round and not go into debt.

I just remembered that I didn't figure in the circuit breaker box. An electrician we know built it incorporating a switch to run from generator or solar, a female plug for the generator, an outdoor covered plug and ground rod. All this cost $350 installed, but I think he gave me a deal.

Still, the whole set up came in way under the $6,000-$8,000 bids I got to run underground wire from the grid. System works flawlessly for our recreational usage.

Thanks for your interest.

VTweekender
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 16:43 - Edited by: VTweekender

Very nice install, love your cabin as well. Hard to tell by the pic' but your clearance between your solar panel and your roof might be a concern, it is recommended to be 4 to 6 inches,... Heat build up will damage your panel in a hurry from being to close not allowing enough air flow underneath. But hard to tell by the pic, you may very well have the clearance, not trying to be critical.

rmak
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 19:43 - Edited by: rmak

Nobody told me that! I do have the capability to tilt it up for more clearance. I appreciate the tip. Thanks VT! That's why I love this place...

I might have dodged the bullet with damage up to this point. The panel only gets an hour of two of direct sun daily, which has been enough to keep the batteries charged. Plus, it's rained and overcast more than sunny this summer.

See, I knew there must be some kind of advantage to living in Ohio!

Scott G
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 21:28

I hear you on less is more. Totally.

VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 21:15

What company in mid-Ohio did you use? Just curious because I would like to talk to them about my future set up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.