Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / possible solar setup
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 04:24

Hey All

I hope that I can tap into the knowledge base here. have a look at what I am thinking of getting and please share you thoughts.

I own 2 12volt 17Amp hour batteries that we are charging at home and bringing back and forth to the cabin. We have very low electricity needs.

Im thinking of getting a morningstar sunsaver 10 ($71) and a 90watt enerwatt solar panel ($150)

IS this a good match for my batteries? is it a good price?

Thanks in advance

VTweekender
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 05:35

I think those would be fine with your batteries.....price would be just a little high here in the states, but very well may be inline in CA. Think about the length cable you will need for the panel so you don't get one to short, and whether you will be using MC4 connectors or not.

ILFE
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 05:47 - Edited by: ILFE

Regarding the "match", typically, I would look for 10% of the Amp Hour rate as a good charge rate for your batteries. In this case, you will be charging them in parallel. So, 12vdc, 34AH at a 10% charge rate, would be 3.4 amperes. A 90 watts panel, derated about 75% would be 67.5 watts. That should provide the rate you need:

67.5 watts / 14.4 charging volts = 4.68 amperes.

Keep in mind though, this would be in full sun. Where you live and the number of actual sun hours per day will play a big part in this. (I live in Cambodia, where we have about 6 hours of good sun throughout the year. So, I assume a lot here that doesn't apply elsewhere in the world.) So, I have to think the following way.

Personally, I would consider going with a 100 watts panel, just to be on the safe side. The controller will prevent the panel from overcharging the batteries. A 100 watts panel will generate about 5.5 amperes in full sun.

--------------------------------

Regarding purchasing solar panels, there are too many distributors across North America. Since I live in Cambodia, that hasn't been an item I have sourced from the US or Canada. I understand there are places that sell panels, shipped, for under $1.00 USD / watt. So, according that bit of information you should be able to find a panel cheaper?

--------------------------------

I think, depending on shipping costs to your area, you may find that controller cheaper at:

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Alternatively, you can check:

Eco Direct

I have found cheap pricing there. (I was looking for lowest pricing for the MorningStar SureSine Inverter, at the time. I found it there. I have done little comparison shopping there for anything else. A quick look shows they seem to be fairly competitive, though.)

I wish I could help more.

Paul

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 08:15

I have two small systems.

The smaller of the two is a portable system with (1) 18ah battery with a 20w panel and a sunsaver 6. Works and charges great. Easy to travel with or keep at location and easily hidden.

I also use a 50w, 108ah, sunsaver 10 nightly. Extremely happy with that as well. The battery is larger then needed but has worked out great.

Depending on what you're powering and sun conditions I would go with a 50w and sunsaver 6 for a weekend place with the two small ah batteries that you have if your power needs are small to reduce your costs.

I've gotten my charge controllers from Arizonia W&S and panels through Amazon.

I like small systems

ILFE
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 04:48 - Edited by: ILFE

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
I also use a 50w, 108ah, sunsaver 10 nightly. Extremely happy with that as well. The battery is larger then needed but has worked out great.

That is only about a 2.5% charge rate (without system derating), at 12vdc. If you really tax that battery and then try to recharge it with a 50 watt solar panel, it will be a long, slow process.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 10:18

Quoting: ILFE
That is only about a 2.5% charge rate (without system derating), at 12vdc. If you really tax that battery and then try to recharge it with a 50 watt solar panel, it will be a long, slow process.

Agreed, battery is over sized for it's current use as this setup receives light use as is. Usually just a 12v 10" lcd tv, small 12v led light and cell phone charging. It's my first 12v power experiment. Small, easy to break down and move, and it's expandable with a larger panel.

I have eight 145w panels that I'm not currently using if I needed to use this setup in a more taxing way I can easily replace the 50w with a 145w panel for a faster recharge which I have done once to see how it would work out.

I also have another 108ah Sun Extender battery so I have a pair and I alternate each one weekly. I have a several different size charge controllers including a 24v morningstar so I can throw together a larger system with the larger panels and both batteries if needed.

Depending on your needs, use and pocketbook you may not need to spend a lot on a system for a weekend place that would have more recharging time if left in place and a small system is easily hidden or can be taken with you if you're concerned about theft. For me I couldn't be happier with the set up I have.

I've had my large panels and other emergency items, generators, etc. for a while just for an emergency situation, before the last big storm, but what happened before hurricane Sandy and especially after was an eye opener...no secret but supplies disappear quickly, generators sell out quickly, long gas lines, food, etc. I don't think it would be to easy to find solar panels and solar supplies locally, for me any way if I needed them so I have all the components I need in place...except for a large battery bank.

What I found interesting is that I found plenty of 12v batteries. I bought 4 large matching marine batteries at walmart that I ended up not needing or using and I was able to return them a week later. I thought that was great. I now find myself checking out battery supplies whenever I'm in a walmart or an auto store to see what's on hand.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Be prepared.

ILFE
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 10:38 - Edited by: ILFE

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
I've had my large panels and other emergency items, generators, etc. for a while just for an emergency situation, before the last big storm, but what happened before hurricane Sandy and especially after was an eye opener...no secret but supplies disappear quickly, generators sell out quickly, long gas lines, food, etc.

I recall as a young boy, how we were unable to find many things after hurricane David blew through Savannah, Georgia, my home town.

You are a stronger man than I, though. Had I all that hardware, it would be collecting sun and sending it to batteries, even if flat on the ground! Heck, I was outside at night installing my first array here, like a boy on Christmas Day. I wasn't Blessed with patience.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 10:54 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 11:09 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.