Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / xantrex freedom sw 3000
machzman
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 16:51

has anybody used one of these units for a small cabin and if so
how did they work for you i can pick one up fairly cheap
thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 17:18 - Edited by: MtnDon

It is a good inverter, if a recent version. There are two generations. I know nothing much about the older ones. The current ones have a built in charger I know, not sure on older ones.

That said it is a big output for a 12 volt DC input. If you plan on using up to the capacity you will need 4/0 cables and short ones; no longer than 5 feet. And sufficient battery capacity to feed it.

One shortcoming, if there are any inspections; it has no provision for an AC conduit connection which is present NEC. But inspectors vary on that.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 20:01 - Edited by: MtnDon

The charger is 150 amps... that gives an indication of the battery bank they probably figure you should have... 150 x 10 = 1500 amp hours at 12 volts. Lots of battery!

The specs don't seem to mention the 'tare' current draw... how many amps it draws while just sitting there.

BTW, what is the good deal asking price?

machzman
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 20:11

I have 6 batteries all 6 volt

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 20:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: MtnDon
The specs don't seem to mention the 'tare' current draw... how many amps it draws while just sitting there.

Found it in the oweners manual...

No load power draw <3.5 A

If we take that less than 3.5 amps to be 3 amps, 3 x 12 = 36 watts. That is NOT an insignificant draw just sitting there doing nothing.

A comparable Samlex (inverter only - no charger) has a tare load of 0.55 amps at 12 volts with its power save on. It also draws about 3 amps without the power save feature. The main drawback to the power save feature on this type / price of inverter is that they take several seconds to 15 seconds to turn the full output on.

The power save delay, on an Outback VFX is less than a half second. Personal experience. And it is fine tunable to the users needs.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 23:47 - Edited by: MtnDon

Had another thought on the charger portion. Some inverter chargers, like the OB ones, have user programmable amperage limits. That lets you tailor the maximum charge to the batteries. Look in the user manual for that model to check.

Quoting: machzman
I have 6 batteries all 6 volt

... three series strings in parallel, for a 12 volt system? Golf cart batteries? GC2's are normally 208 - 225 amp hours each. If that is what you have, thr 3 series strings in parallel = approx 600 to 675 amp-hours total at 12 volts. That means the recommended charge current maximum is about 75 to 85 amps with 60 to 65 being a more conservative maximum. [ C/8 or C/10 where C = the battery amp hours.]

machzman
# Posted: 3 Oct 2014 13:16

mntdon the price in the box 400
i own a marina in canada and one of my suppliers has it and is just trying to get rid of it
i want to set this up because whem iam at camp i hate the sound of the genny at night

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Oct 2014 14:15

A super price on that! I'd buy it and give it a try. Just watch the battery(s) if you use some heavy loads.

I totally do not like the sound on generators running too.

creeky
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 09:23

The older 3000 is much beloved by repair guys as it is easy to fix. But do you want an inverter that is that well known in the repair community?

The ats/charger are suspect also. The charger is user configurable for the size of your battery bank though. You turn a little dial to the size of amps.

I tried one (used). Ended up with a TBS which uses less than 1 amp idle and has an even lower power saver mode. I use led lights tho, so I leave it in standard mode. But the TBS is pricey.

What loads are you running? It might be worth just getting a lower powered inverter...

machzman
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 13:18

mainly want it for night time when i only have lights and a tv going
six lights
if i need to go run the coffe maker or water pump i turn on the genny
i just hate the sound of the genny at night

creeky
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 14:24

Couple hundred bucks gets you a basic 1000w pure sine. Watch for the Canadian tire sale. Or check online.

A 600 watt morningstar would be a good reliable choice. Plus super low overhead. And I know on my last 3kw inverter I thought, well, 3 amps idle ain't much. Until I multiplied by 24.

You'll definitely save some gas. Heck you could add a propane camp stove and a 12v water pump and really cut back on the genny time.

Then you'll want a couple of solar panels. ... lol...

machzman
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 15:43

i already picked up the xantrex 3000 sw for a fair price
and mntdon has give me some good advice
i picked it up because i did noy pay alot

creeky
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 14:42

good luck. let me know how it works out. the price was really good.

Scott G
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 22:14

Love to hear how it all works out too.

machzman
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 12:59

hopefully hooking it up in two weeks
i am in the boat bizz so very busy doing winterizing and storage
and servicing atvs for the hunt coming up

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.