Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Stove damper location
Hart Ridge
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 10:20

Is there any guidance on how high up the stove pipe the damper should be installed? Should it be as close to the stove as possible or does it matter?

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 10:37 - Edited by: MtnDon

What kind of a stove are you using? Modern stoves are usually designed to be used with no damper in the flue. Air control is done with the air inlet. Dampers were used back when wood stoves were poorly sealed and leaked air into the firebox. It was the only way to slow down a burn.

We have not had a damper in the flue since 1978 when we bought our first quality made and sealed wood burner stove.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 10:58

Some poorly designed modern stoves probably need dampering, for the reason MtDon related. I'm thinking the cheaper vogelzangs made in china, which some people say are so loosely constructed that the air control doesn't slow it much.

Anyway the basic answer to your question is that it doesn't matter exactly where the damper goes in the stovepipe. All it's doing is restricting flow, slowing it down, and it will do that higher or lower so long as the stovepipe is fitted well and not leaking itself.

Hart Ridge
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 11:29

Thanks for the responses. It is, in fact, an old stove that leaks air and the only way to slow the burn is with the damper. The stove pipe is modern (double walled) and I sealed it up well so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 21:03

I like them high in the pipe, as below the damper the pipe generates more heat.

Owen

creeky
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 16:01

thx owen

Hart Ridge
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 14:33

Owen, so your saying if I wanted less heat from the stove pipe, lower would be better?

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 15:43

won't make much difference either way. Put it where its handy.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 17:05 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Yes, there a lot of extra heat below a closed damper. Often in a closed up air tight stove, cool air comes down along side hot gases going up in the chimney. The damper would be the mixing point most of the time. this is also the point of the largest creosote build up.
But yes, Fishhog is also right, have it handy. I know I sometimes try to find mine in the dark. Ouch!

Owen

Hart Ridge
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 10:26

Installed is yesterday, about mid way up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.