Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / basic electrical double check question
vidaliaman
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 12:18 - Edited by: vidaliaman

purchased some DC 12 volt LED 5 watt light bulbs, put my multimeter on DC10A and hooked up to 12volt deep cycle battery, reading showed .45 amps while lit. how long can i run this light on a freshly charged 12volt/115 amp deep cycle battery to 50% depletion?

did i do this correctly?

dave

razmichael
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 13:57

Assuming your battery is a 115 amp-hour battery (20 hour rating) - 50% depletion means you have 57.5 amp-hours to play with so .45 amp light gives you over 127 hours (over 5 days). Because you are drawing this at less than a 20-hr rate you would likely get more but then temperature and other factors come into play as well.

If you are not aware of how the rate of discharge impacts the amount available, look at the ratings for a Trojan T-105 battery (this is a 6volt)

5-Hr Rate 185
10-Hr Rate 207
20-Hr Rate 225
100-Hr Rate 250

This is why it is important to be sure that you understand the rating of a battery (as some manufacturers may provide misleading numbers if not specifying the rate). Also, not all deep cycle batteries are made equal so be careful with the 50% number- continual depletion to 50% before a recharging will not provide the longest battery life - although that might not really matter in your case.

vidaliaman
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 16:45

good info

thanks raz

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.