Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wiring generator to outbuilding
slim
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 19:35

I have a 6000W generator that I would like to power my isolated pole building. The buildinghas no power (not connected to any grid). The generator has a bonded neutral and ground. This is what I plan to do....Any problems??

I plan on having a generator power inlet box outside on the bldg. Inside I will have a subpanel with about 3 or 4 circuits. I plan on driving a ground rod next to the building and connecting the ground from the service panel inside the building to it. The generator is portable, and will be set about 20' from the garage when in use. Because the neutral and ground are bonded at the generator, I will not have them bonded at the subpanel. The neutral from generator will be connected to neutral in sub, and ground from generator to ground in sub.

I would appreciate any advice.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 21:22

Good plan

slim
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 21:49

Thanks for the response, MtnDon. I wasn't sure whether the ground rod should be at generator with gen connected to it, or at bldg, with sub connected. Don't know if it makes a difference...I can't see where it would, but I am no electrician.

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 08:00

@Slim, a good friend of mine, commercial electrician recommended to me that I have a ground with my Genny (7kw) as well as my panel. But then I intend to use the genny for more than just backup, for powering other equipment which would be powered just from the generator directly. In any case, I see no harm in having the extra ground @ the generator. Erring on the side of caution, especially with electrics is never a bad thing IMO.

I'm building a "dog house" for the generator to keep foul weather off it, with a rod punched into the ground next to it but well ventilated for cooling etc...

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 09:26

Ground rod at the genny is ok as long as that is only to the metal frame of the genny and does not include grounding the electrical wiring. If there is a connection between the metal frame and the wiring ground wire that can result in troubles. With two separately connected ground rods connected to the wiring that can form loops that can cause the flow of loop currents that can play havoc with electronics.

slim
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 12:09

So if the wiring ground, that is bonded with the neutral, is connected to the genny frame, then there should only be one ground rod, either at the genny or at the bldg (subpanel). If the frame is isolated from the wiring ground then two ground rods are ok.......Is that what you are saying MtnDon?

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:17

yes

slim
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 14:40

Thanks for the replys, MtnDon and Steve_S

Pookie129
# Posted: 25 Nov 2014 04:49 - Edited by: Pookie129

URL URL FOR GENERATOR SHED

Generator Shed / Enclosure

Pookie129
# Posted: 25 Nov 2014 04:50

PS - turn down the volume, not sure who picked the sound track, but it is a little much...lol

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.