Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / When turning off water, what else needs to be turned off?
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 10 Jan 2015 22:22

With the deep freeze, I'm thinking about shutting off the water at my cabin. If I shut off the water line, then I probably should shut off power to the water pump. I assume other stuff should be shut off too: water softener, ice maker, etc. Does anyone already have this figured out and can share a checklist?

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Jan 2015 22:37

Cabins are not all the same so the winterizing varies somewhat. First, no checklist as our cabin is different from yours. We likely have stuff you don't and vice versa.

Sounds like you have a well. Also sounds like the cabin will be, is, left unheated. ??? Yes/no???

Where is the well pump? A submersible or not? How does the water get from the ump ti inside the cabin?

When the cabin will be unheated and freezing temperatures are involved anything with water in it needs to be drained, or the pipes and fixtures all need a potable anti freeze solution pumped into them. Water softeners and filters can be a problem as they may be difficult to impossible to fully drain.

Toilet traps need antifreeze especially when connected to sewer or septic as the trap must have fluid in it to prevent noxious gasses from entering the cabin. Porcelain thrones freeze and crack quite readily.

Single handle faucets and shower controls can be damaged by a small amount of trapped water freezing. It is possible to use compressed air to blow out lines, but the single handle fixtures are more of challenge than two handle (1 hot and a separate cold) fixtures. Sometimes those are best treated by removing the cartridge.

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Jan 2015 02:27

I've had trouble with two handle kitchen faucets a time or two also. The valve thing that allows the spayer to work can freeze, as can the sprayer. I blow all the lines with a compressor, but its really hard to get every single drop.

Keeping spare parts on hand for your faucets (or spare faucets)may save time and frustration if it freezes. I've come home from travelling and discovered I didnt have a functional kitchen faucet. Not cool when wanting to relax after a long drive.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 12 Jan 2015 22:01

Yes, I have well and septic. I have baseboard heating controlled by Nest thermostat and keep minimum temp at 50 degrees. However, the Crawlspace is considerably colder and I worry what will happen if there is a power outage that cuts off the heaters. If I use a Belkin Wemo to control power to the water pump, at least I could cut off the water flow after a power outage. I've also thought about using a new water leak detector/temperature and humidity sensor system called WallyHome but I'm holding off on all the SmartHome devices until some better indication of which ones will integrate with a common hub like the Nest or Apple HomeKit.

I am well aware that I've gone a little overboard with tech features at my cabin, especially since I bought it to "get away from it all". But in addition to having a place where I can go to "clear my mind", I like having "peace of mind" knowing everything is protected when I'm not there.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 09:22

I leave a 100 watt light on in my small insulated well pump house...BUT I drain everything at camp including the water heater etc. When I built my camp...I put spigot at the lowest point on main water supply line open it up and open the facets in the camp ...and let it drain before I leave. I put RV anti free in my toilet....take about 15 min to "open camp" ( get the water flowing) ~~when I get back.

Just
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 09:54

Quoting: turkeyhunter
I leave a 100 watt light on

Maybe should be two 50 watts in case one burns out.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 16:43

I should have mentioned that I do get out to my cabin very regularly. 2-4 weekends every month (it'd be every day if it weren't for work getting in the way). So, draining, pouring anti-freeze, etc would be a hassle everytime. I was just hoping to cut power to the well pump (via Wemo and a smart phone app), but then I started wondering about all the downstream effects of not having water (i.e. water softener, ice maker, etc). In the meantime, I just use the Nest to keep the inside temp warmer than my usual "away temp" when the outside temps are well below freezing. I figure a little extra heating bill is better than a big water damage bill...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 17:41

Quoting: Just
Maybe should be two 50 watts in case one burns out.

good idea....I have some 60 watt bulbs at camp...could put a screw in "Y" in the socket....and install 2 ~~~60 watts. Going to be in the 60's on Sunday...so maybe I wont need them at all~~BT ---I am ready for SPRING!!!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 07:49 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

As others have said... each cabin is different.

As for mine... we have a valves at the lowest point in the cellar, so that after the water is turned off... the pipes can be drained. The valves are really just hose bibs, and the hoses drain to the outside of the foundation.

Additionally, I installed a 4 foot baseboard heater (220v) in the cellar, in the area of the pipes. This has a thermostat on it, which I keep around 30 degrees. This prevents the pipes from freezing.

I don't turn off any of the electricity, and I keep the well pump on.

Oh, we also pour RV grade anti-freeze into all the drain traps and in the toilet.

Just
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 09:10

I turn my pump off when there is a chance a pipe could freeze and burst [ spring and fall ] a broken pipe can destroy a cabin if you are not there. I recently had a hose under a sink in my home brake causing 18000.00 $ in damage .[and I was home asleep ].

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 16:55

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
Additionally, I installed a 4 foot baseboard heater (220v) in the cellar, in the area of the pipes. This has a thermostat on it, which I keep around 30 degrees. This prevents the pipes from freezing.

Aha! I had wondered if it was feasible to put a baseboard heater in a crawlspace. Everyone always warns against using a space heater, but I always wondered about a baseboard heater. It is a dirt floor with a plastic tarp. Obviously I'd need to keep the plastic tarp away from the heater, but is it okay to sit the baseboard heater on the dirt?

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 15 Jan 2015 08:16

I wouldn't sit it on the dirt. I followed the manufacturer's guidelines and attached it to 2x4 wall studs that were on the inside of the cinder block foundation.

This way it's kept directly off the ground, and away from the plastic tarp. (my floor is dirt with plastic tarp too)

Good luck.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 15 Jan 2015 08:17

Thanks for the tip on turning the pump off. I think I'll do that too.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 22:44

Ok... Got to our cabin tonight and the toilet tank is a solid block of ice.

Don't forgrt to put RV anti-freeze in the toilet tank!!!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 09:47

I just had a pipe freeze and burst at our cabin, even though I drained all the supply lines.

I forgot to disconnect the water supply (hot + cold) going to the washing machine, so that air could come into the pipes.

Because I didn't do this, one of the pipes froze and burst. Minimal mess since the water was off and the well pump was off. Only discovered it when the water was turned back on.

I think im also going to make a checklist for shutting down/winterizing the cabin.

Hopefully you all can learn from my mistakes! I did.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 14:19

We wrote start up instructions in a spiral notebook for son & gf to reference since they often go on their own. Oftentimes gf will be there by herself.
Some interesting chapters include hooking up the inverter, switching over to generator power, lighting propane fridge.
My next chapter should be entitled pumping your own lake water.
I'm not too fond of arriving to near empty water barrels
But I am thrilled that she/they absolutely love going to the camp.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.