Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Sometimes it pays to fiddle with your charge controller
groingo
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 14:35 - Edited by: groingo

Ok, I have this oddball Renogy PWM charge controller with LCD readout that has performed satisfactorily....this controller has been famous for having features not made clear or simply omitted in the manual.

The find yesterday was the ability to adjust incoming power parameters from the panels, instructions didn't elaborate and once you did it saving the setting was pretty much guesswork.

Long story short charger was limiting input to 13.6 volt default which also meant my incoming amperage was severely limited typically the high amperage seen was maybe 5 amps tops regardless of battery level but after changing the parameters from 13.6 to 14.8 I now have seen amperage input as high as 20 amps and you can hear the batteries bubbling and the ticking of the PWM.

The point of this, don't be afraid to fiddle because now my charge levels are waaay better and now my amperage input from the panels now shows....all from just fiddling and seeing what would happen.

Now heres the twist, Tuesday I will get another Midnite Solar Kid and their tech guy back east is going to help me tune it to my system and he guarantees I will be very impressed...sounds good to me.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 15:24 - Edited by: MtnDon

You have me confused.... Do you mean limiting input or output? I can understand why a CC would have adjustments to limit output; different battery types for example. But I don't understand why there would be any input adjustment. Makes no sense to me. The job of the CC is to take what is coming in and tailor the output to the battery and the battery state of charge.

Good deal of getting to try out The Kid. It should win over the Renogy hands down. By the very nature of the way basic PWM operate, they waste power some of the time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.