Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Residential Greywater Recycling
rockies
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 21:48

http://greyter.com/residential/

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:16

There are a variety of greywater systems being offered by different companies now. I saw one installed that had a 30-50 gallon tank underground and then pumped the water into trickle pipes underground in the landscaping when water flowed into the tank. The owner said, "I can tell when my son has taken a shower because the flower bed is wet".

These systems are off-the-shelf and are expensive. Also, if you have a pump it depends on electricity, not so good for off grid. They all overflow into the sanitary just in case.

Systems that can be built of yourself are gradually gaining ground too. The idea is to make a 'septic system light' so to speak. A smaller tank for settling out the solids, and smaller drainfields that are easier to install. I saw one product from a manufacturer which was just a flex plastic drain line encased in some kind of thick filter. They claimed all you have to do is dig a trench and lay this in at minimal depth, unlike a septic drain line which must be deeper and requires gravel or large chambers.

So the idea is you divert your grey water to this separate system, a small tank (100-300 gallons) separates most of the solids, then the water drains into these shallow drain lines through your garden and keeps the plants looking nice. Far less expensive to install than a septic, but still you need a septic in addition to this system (or this in addition to a standard septic). So why use it if you need a septic anyway? Diverting a majority of your water away from the septic system will make it last a lot longer. Maybe in the future they will allow downsized septics so long as you maintain a greywater system.

For remote locations, perhaps a greywater system in conjunction with a composting toilet setup is enough. But local health departments are probably a long way from accepting this.

Google 'grey water drain pipes"

Links:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/building-science/how-install-branched- drain-graywater-system

http://oasisdesign.net/greywater/misinfo/

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 23:00

bldginsp,

I'm a bit confused. What solids are present in grey water? Maybe it depends on the state, but Oregon, for instance, doesn't permit you to use water from the kitchen drains for reuse because of the potential for grease and food particles/contaminants so it wouldn't qualify as "grey water." And, of course, no black water from the toilet. You can only use the grey water from the shower/tub and bathroom sinks for drip irrigation.

You can also hook up a system that uses the shower and sink grey water to flush the toilet. I plan to do that because it's fairly simple and you don't need a separate permit for it. It's covered under the plumbing codes. Otherwise, grey water systems require an application, state permit, annual renewal, etc. etc. It just doesn't seem worth it for landscaping. There's always rainwater storage.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 23:20

Julie- most greywater systems don't use a settling tank like a standard septic, so whatever solids are present go directly to the drainfield, whatever that is. Soap, dirt, whatever. So the problem is that the drainfields clog up fairly quickly.

Shower and sink water is definitely greywater, but kitchen sink is debatable. Laundry seems like greywater, but throw some diapers in there and it's black water.

Lot to think about.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 02:22

Thanks, bldginsp! It's always a balancing act.

Biolan has a nifty greywater unit that uses European peat moss to filter greywater, very similar to the Puraflow septic system that the state of Oregon and others approved. No approval for Biolan, though, grrr. Envirolet offers their incinerating toilets plus a Biolan greywater unit in package deals as full home solutions.

But you just can't afford to do it AND install a complete septic system, too, so it really doesn't make sense.

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 20:34

Another way of looking @ Grey Water is that you need a Catch/Trap to catch the "matter" going through it... This is hair, small food particles (from kitchen sink) and such... NOT Coffee grounds or Garborated food. This is simply accomplished by having the water enter into a filtering container which can use Moss, Cedar Chips or even washable mesh and then proceeding to the drain tank / lines depending on config chosen.

My own system is designed in a way that when it leaves the cabin it goes into a buried 50 Gallon Olive Barrel, which has two 50' long, 4" Perforated & socked drainage tiles flowing downhill, 6' deep. These are set on top of 1' of 3/8" gravel and then buried by another 1' of gravel on top and back filled with soil.

Prior to going out of the cabin, it will go through a resealable container with a form of plastic mesh (the stuff I am using is a reusable washable furnace filter material) which can be taken out and cleaned / replaced as needed. I figure 3 times a year will be sufficient as it's just me & Maggie.

SOMETHING TO NOTE ON MY SYSTEM:
I chose NOT to run the drainline through the concrete slab, rather I elected to exit above the floor. This makes installation a tad tricky & the shower has to be on a raised base BUT this keeps all plumbing Water in & GW accessible & above surface in case something goes amiss. THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION for everyone.

I designed my system taking various ideas currently in use as well as historical systems used 100's of years ago... (I'm an archeology & history freak... so... I borrow from the past both near & far and take the lessons learned). Additionally, I did not want to e dependent on some vendor / supplier or other and be able to do everything in a self sufficient manner.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 4 Jul 2015 02:40

You're so lucky you can do that, SteveS. Btw, that Biolan system I mentioned has been approved as A SEPTIC SYSTEM by some provinces in Canada when used with a composting or incinerating toilet. It uses European peat moss to trap and filter the contaminants from the greywater.

The peat thing is awesome. I should contact Biolan and ask them to submit their greywater system for use in Oregon. Oregon approved a similar system for septic so it should be a no-brainer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.