Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Why did you go off the grid?
<< . 1 . 2 .
creeky
# Posted: 1 Dec 2017 15:06 - Edited by: creeky

Funny eh. Niagara Falls was a boondoggle in its day. Way overpriced. But the electricity from the falls kick started Ontario's manufacturing.

Btw. Off grid for starting on 8 years now. Lithium batteries rule! Solar power is king!

Just sayin'. I've saved over $3k on propane for my fridge now. How much has the sun I've used to surf, read, cook, boil, bathe, work, light, launder, listen, watch, etc been worth?

I'm off grid for the joy and happiness. But modern conveniences do help (like spell check ;).

Tree feller
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 21:48

I guess there's just something neat about gathering from my surroundings to live, and not just to live but to do it comfortably. I visited my little place last December. I walked the woods and harvested a small dead tree for my weekend heat. I cleared the snow from my solar panel, found a full charge on the battery bank. Firing up the wood stove is like waking the cabin from a deep sleep. Once the cabin reaches 70 degrees I might turn on the tv. There's a freedom up there and that's what I like.

DwainRoy
# Posted: 25 Apr 2018 03:03

Hey...
I am also new here. I was just going through the threads.
this thread is really interesting..
For me, it was almost all the reasons you have mentioned. But if you ask me to specify one, I would say living without any neighbours is the best, also living off the grid has given me chances to meet new people who is living their life on their terms...
And yeah I am also in a bit of similar situation as you... Obligation to parents... I really miss my life....

troybillett
# Posted: 9 Jul 2018 17:07

yeah, I think freedom is the main thing we hear from our customers
it's this sense that you don't have the weight of all these other people or corporations telling you what you can and cannot do but rather just getting to peaceful and worry-free experience

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.