Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / PowerHouse(tm) Inverter Generator (feedback requested)
Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Nov 2015 07:29

Good Day folks,

I'm presently using a Champion 41552 (7200/9000) Generator during my building phase and it runs everything very nicely, albeit with serious noise @ 74dBA. It's big, heavy and quite thirsty for gas BUT it can handle my 3HP Compressor, small Mig Welder and everything else I've chucked at it without a blink.

Thing is, as a backup Generator it's capable but not so sure if I'd say suitable. Loud, Thirsty, Manual Start (electric but no remote) and you have to furtle with the choke to start it.

Therefore I have been looking at the various Inverter Generators out there. I KNOW, I KNOW... Honda, Subaru, Generac BUT Budget issues being what they are, I'm having to look at alternate solutions.

My Needs: The Big Champion can be used for "industrial applications" like Mig, Compressor, Table Saw etc...

- 3000 Watt output to supply Inverter/Charger (120V-30A L5-30R) {no 240v in my system}

- Auto Low Oil shutoff ! MUST HAVE - ALWAYS !!
- Electric Start, preferably with Remote Start, better IF can use external start mode (my inverter/charger can signal Gen-Start)
- Clean Pure Sine output a MUST !
- Auto Choke Operation. Who wants to get up @ 3AM to furtle around with a cranky choke @ -25C raise your mittens !

I came across this Powerhouse PH3100Ri Inverter/Generator yesterday on my quest for electrical bits for $1000.00 CAD (New Old Stock [2 yrs]). It certainly meets the requirements and the Price Point is excellent. I looked at reviews online and there are certainly some negatives and several repeated ones...

Has anyone here in our little gang had experience with this Brand / Model ?? If so share.

I've also been looking at the Energizer eZV2800 which is $800 CAD. Which has a fair amount of good review and a few bad.

On reviews I red online. There are always dud's in any product, regardless of who makes it and lately it's come out that there are a lot of bad reviews posted purposefully by competitors etc so I take them with a healthy dose of salt.

groingo
# Posted: 7 Nov 2015 12:47

I have a little Powerhouse 500 watt inverter and it is very poorly designed, things like carb bowl overfow that dumped right next to the muffler, super short pull cord that rubbed inside and outside the case and was way too short at inly 16 inches, fuel cap they forgot to vent, but the topper was the large chunks of aluminum that kept coming out of the crankcase, had to flush with light oil seven times and when I contacted the vendor and told them the problems they didn't hesitate for a second to refund my full purchase price and when I asked them where they wanted me to ship this unit they said the manufacturer doesn't do returns so keep it do what you want.

I kept it, fixed the problems and it works good as a backup.

I just replaced my moms Honda 2000 generator with a Champion because she needed electric start, a bit thirstier but so far after three power outages it does things very well and is very quiet.....I'd stick with Champion unless you want much lower fuel consumption then Honda and Yamaha are your uber choices.

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Nov 2015 20:03

Thanks Groingo, good to know a "Personal Experience" I like my Big Champion and it's been working quite hard and not skipping a beat. I do think it likes the Pure Synthetic oil (0W40) I use in it.

Sadly the only Champion Inverter Generator that has Electric Start is the Model #75537i 3100W Inverter Generator Which is only available in the USA.

Cabela's Canada has the Energizer eZV2800 which would do what I need, sadly they don't carry the Champion 75537i in Canada but do in the States at a GREAT DEAL... bummers...

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 11:23

Yep, too bad we can't that bigger Champion model here. My little 2000 watt inverter model runs like a champ. I would not hesitate getting another Champion.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 14:01 - Edited by: ColdFlame

@Steve_S: No experience with these, but worth a look?

King Power KCG-3000i. Remote electric start, etc... Quick google search found it for $999 CAD: http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=18101

According to the manufacturer's spec page (below), it's rated for 57db.
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=417&ID=21934

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 17:37 - Edited by: Steve_S

Thanks ColdFlame,

I can't find any current reviews on this model. I did find a couple of older reviews but they were of the "Everything made in China is Krap" gang.... Ironic how they are using a computer & screen made in China... The Local BMR Carries King Tools so I'll check it out and see if they have one, if not what it would cost from them... Reason being if the thing pooches out, I have a collar to grab and shake vigorously if required.

Many moons ago I bought & used King Canada tools but that's back when they were still made just outside of Toronto I think and that stuff was Well Built and lasted forever & a day.

I'm not sure where the King products are designed/engineered but it's all made in China now... I've looked at their current tools and compared to the old stuff, no comparison. I got an OLD King Planer @ a yard sale... made in the late 60's, cast aluminium and heavy steel and works like a dream and boy is it loud !

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Nov 2015 19:15

Sure enough, today I went to that RV Supplier and they had Test Run that PowerHouse Inverter Generator this weekend... It lasted a Grand Total of two hours before it blew the Head Gasket and spewed oil everywhere... Gee Wiz !

Did some more Checking and Tmbr-Mart / BMR Building Centres does carry the King 3000w Inverter Generator @ 999.00 so will check that out and see what the scoop is. Good Lead there ColdFlame ! Thanks.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 10:16

Steve:

Keep us up to date how it goes, good real world info is priceless these days!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 11:22

What groingo says! If it starts up easily and the remote feature works reliably, this would move quickly to the top of my wish list.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 12:45

I'll be curious to know as well. It's too bad that King has shifted away to being produced more cheaply - as you stated, their products used to be bullet/bomb proof. Some of their old tools will likely outlive me and weigh an absolute ton.

And you're welcome - I hope it works out for you! I'm happy to try to lend a hand here or there as I'm able. If I could come lift a hammer or two to help, I'd be more happy!

groingo
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 00:13 - Edited by: groingo

Take a carefull look at the King and the Powerhouse, except for color and graphics they look to be made by the same manufacturer, but being they are made for a customer means if that customer is willing to pay more it could be a different beast, just be carefull and double the due dilligance.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 06:38

Many generators like other things "look" the same but aren't. All things being equal, the sum of their components makes the difference.

How many Inverter Generators look like the Honda or Generac Models ? and the wide variety of colours to go with it...

It all comes down to the designer & engineer spec's. I know a few folks around here with King Generators (non-inverter types) and they seem on par with the Champion brands anyways. The people (manufacturer/assembler) will put together whatever is designed to that spec...

If it's good design & engineering or not is not the sub-contracted manufacturers problem. That now seems to translate across the board entirely. Just like Engineered Failure Rates - ever amazed at how things always seem to fail 2 months after warranties expire ? Like yesterday I had to replace my Nokia Cell Phone... 2 month past warranty... Nokia being a good stable product. Maggie has 3 dead Samsung Phones... all died just past warranty period....

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 12:20 - Edited by: Steve_S

The DEED IS DONE

Well, I went to another of my favourite building supply dealers and low & behold they just unpacked a King 3000 Inverter Genny... Promptly I said to the tech there.. I'm interested and want to "see the guts" before I buy... Out come the tools and off comes the cover... within 10 minutes a small group is standing around giving this the once over... They like tearing things apart to inspect new toys... LOL.

Unlike the PowerHouse Brand (tm) which is mostly plastic and tin, this is heavier steel tubing, HSLA Steel panels with Thermo Foam acoustic on the inside. Cast Aluminium parts are made using the Lost Foam technique... Nicely made IMO.

So we fill the oil up, hook up the battery and dump a gallon of gas into it. Push the electric start switch and a second later it's purring along quietly... let it run for a minute and shutdown, oil check... All Good !

We dragged it outside and I thought, give it a pull start (figuring a virgin engine gonna be a PITA) NOPE, Starts on FIRST PULL !!!

OK... 3 of the guys have Honda Inverter Gennies and jaws drop ! LMAO... Remote Start and voila... Vroom to life. Auto-Electric choke works a treat... No furtling around to do... Within 10sec of start the Power Available light is on and good to go.

So let's Load It ands see, flip switch to Eco Mode and it idles down, barely hear it running... SWEET even when running full out it's quiet @ 56dBa. 1st we put a HD Grinder on there... didn't leave ECO mode and just purred along... Then we added a big Heat Gun (2000w) and it cycled up without a blink and still being "peaceful". Let that run that way for a few minutes and all tickety boo.

Here's the funniest part.... 1 of the guys has been pondering a new Honda 3Kw BUT not anymore, he ordered one on the spot ! For $1,000 CAD it's a No Brainer ! and with 2 yr warranty.

It is bulky but @ 130 Lbs Dry Weight not hard to manage.

The wheels IMO are too small BUT they are bolted on and bigger replacements can be installed easy enough without having to mangle anything.

The chassis and casing is well insulated and protected and the ground terminal is easy to plug onto.

Something "small" but thought about, even the gas filler cap is attached to the tank with a chain... Not even my Champion has that and many I've seen don't...

CAVEATS:
* No Hour Metre ! Ughness !!
* Remote's use the weirdest batteries I have seen 12V cells. I got 2 spares and King is sending 2 more cause the dealer called them to complain that one looked a tad manky.
* Draining the beast of oil... uses an extraction tube screwed into the filler neck. Don't like that but.... Ces't la vie.
* The exhaust port is dead centre of the back, it's not big and it appears I could hook up an extension to route exhaust away BUT THAT WILL WAIT.
* Spark Plug changing will be a tad involved (it's tight in there) but they include the tools, even screw driver etc...
** The 120V-20A plugs are NOT CGFI

It's now sitting in my Powerhouse and staying dry while I got rained off the property as it was just coming down in sheets. So I figured a quick Update & Initial Review of the New King 3kw was in order.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a reasonable genny that has been scratching their heads. While it's only run about an hour now for testing, time will tell but it's off to a good start anyways.

Steve

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 12:33

Congrats on the score Steve and thanks for the great review. Sounds very promising. I just crossed out the top item on my list for Santa :p

Look forward to more intel and pics/videos of course.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 07:48

I'll post more on the Genny as things go along.... I've got my digits crossed but if it's goes wonky, it WILL BE POSTED, NO DOUBT ! Practical Experience & Lessons Learned Dept are important to share IMO.

hamish
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 19:32

Steve,

Overall its not that bad of a genset. The biggest issue as with most of them is not being used properly. Only use the economy setting when appropriate (ie not when running yer skilsaw etc...). Massive power fluctuations are hard on the inverter unit, these generators do not have the same peak wattage potential as there Honda/Yamaha counterparts. Let the thing warm up before hitting it with a big load. Be mechanically sympathetic with it.

Most repairs I do on any generators in the shop is from misuse or neglect.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 20:14

Good to hear Hamish,

I do not abuse my equipment or tools and take good care of them always. Even my big Champion beasty is living on pure Synthetic oil now that it's broken in and seasoned.

The King will hit 3100 watts but only for a second or so... This "little" fellow will have limited duties as it is intended as my "shore power" to Inverter/Charger unit. Champion Beasty is for the heavier nasty stuff and I've even been accused of babying it ! LOL...

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Jan 2016 11:15 - Edited by: Steve_S

Further Update on the King 3kw Inverter Genny...

While I have been using the biggy Champion for the Tablesaw, compressor etc... I have put the small King Genny to good use as well... Charging batteries, running some lights & lighter tools and I must say it's working a treat ! It's actually much easier to start with the remotes than I EXPECTED... The automatic chioke kicks in perfectly and it's started up in the serious cold (-30c) or the wet rainy cruddy weather without a blink.

I have taken Hamish's words of caution to heart and allow it to start and run for a few before I power up anything. One more oil change and then it's going on Synthetic oil too.... I always break in a new motor with conventional oil 1st and then switch, this allows for proper wear in and seasoning first. (just something left over from my racing & hot rodding days)

Only have One real complaint !
The danged wheels on the bottom of the genny are small... too small and certainly not intended for anything more than an asphalt / concrete floor... They like to anchor in on snow, muck etc... Fortunately the casters are simply bolt on and easy enough to access. Next Oil Change will all see a new set of All Terrain Slicks replacing those silly little 1-1/2" wheels... Aww I may even just build a cart with a little cover over it to keep rain/snow off the genny when I pull it to where I need it.

I hope the big one doesn't get jealous It's getting work too though, so hoping not too jealous...

EDIT:
I forgot to mention... It's surprising the amount of heat this little Genny creates... The underside get's hot enough to melt snow & ice away quickly, as well as about 8" all around the unit. I don't think it's hot enough to ignite anything but highlights the need to ensure proper airflow all around the generator for it's own cooling.

ILFE
# Posted: 10 Jan 2016 22:32

Quoting: Steve_S
It's surprising the amount of heat this little Genny creates... The underside get's hot enough to melt snow & ice away quickly, as well as about 8" all around the unit. I don't think it's hot enough to ignite anything but highlights the need to ensure proper airflow all around the generator for it's own cooling.

Looks like you got a dual purpose genny, Steve_S. Supplies you with electricity and will heat your cabin / workshop as well, in winter.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 11 Jan 2016 10:32 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Thanks for the update Steve. Caveats aside, this sounds like a great little gennie for the price.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 11 Jan 2016 11:55

Thanks for the update, Steve. I'm glad to hear that it's working out well for you!

ColdFlame
# Posted: 21 Oct 2016 14:06

Hey @Steve_S - been thinking about these again and had to search to find this thread. Any further updates now that you've been running that King 3KW generator for just shy of a year now?

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Oct 2016 18:46

Well, she has worked out quite well and not a blink. I did replace the cheapo battery (Lead Acid) that came with it, with an AGM Battery with a little more capacity.

It runs my water pump, small devices, chargers, lights etc... I must have 200 hours on it now and still a treat. BTW they just went on sale at BMR.

Caveats after long use... They could have used Loctite in a couple of places as two screws like to loosen... a dab of blue and fixed. The larger side panel can rattle a bit, solved with a glue on rubber pad (1/4" dia) from a buck store, no more rattles at all. Changing oil is a tad tricksy because you have to use the screw in tube but in a way that makes sense given the casing design.

ONE pet Peeve... Those darn tiny wheels - easy to replace and shall be done very soon. Don't try to drag it on soil / gravel but on concrete / asphalt peachy.

Overall, very happy with it and it's working lots ATM as I have a lot on the go - very soon, she'll be in her "doghouse" attached to the Solar System for backup charging.... Love that remote feature !

Dragonflame
# Posted: 12 Jun 2019 22:03

When I first noticed mention of the Power House Inverters, I found my local RV parts and repair place was a dealer. Like you, I wanted to save some $$$. I ask if they had one one the floor and was told no, but one could be brought in if I was perhaps interested to buy. Not being real serious I didn't ask for a demo. Therefore, the Power House Inverter story has been followed closely. I took note of a post by you some time ago, that you 'went for it'. Nice to see the follow-up report. Here I what gets to me. Folks go out and buy an Inverter, bring it home and report right way, on how quiet it sounds. Not even adding a load or checking it's operation at various loads. They ALL seem to report their unit (whatever the badge name) being quiet according to what I read, with NO LOAD. But most, who don't care about egg on face, report, at full load, they scream. Some operate up to 5400 rpm. Most of us folks like to brag ya know, about about our choice in what we buy, but here is the deal. I have an old lawn mower with burned out muffler, when cut to lowest rpm, sounds mild. Throttle up and watch for neighbors looking out the windows. Some act just like RV'ers.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Jun 2019 07:39

Wow, old post returned from the ages...

Well the King 3Kw unit finally croaked and BAD... I overloaded it and not realizing it, I had a dying motor (bandsaw) which when it went, took out the electronics on the King 3000 Watt inverter. Would have cost more to repair it & parts are near impossible to get as they discontinued that model.

I then went and purchased a King Canada 4Kw Inverter Generator... kept it for 3 days & returned it. Quieter yes, problematic YES and filling / changing oil was the dumbest setup I have ever seen ! 100% guaranteed to make a mess IF you don't short out the wires...

I then bought an "Energizer" 3200P (wanted a Champion but they were not available). The Energizer (nothing to do with the battery company, just a Chinese Label) is CRAP ! Not well made, not that quiet, they say engineered / designed in Canada (right and I live in Doggerland). From the start the carb surges & sputters, went in for warranty repair as it just decided to stop... 3 weeks and all the electronics were replaced in it. Got it back and surging along like no tomorrow. Can't return it and quite PISSED about it.

NOTE: These are ALL High Frequency Inverter Chargers and that CAN cause issues with some things.

At least, I rarely need a genny and the Solar System doesn't even whisper... so....

creeky
# Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:32

So does this thread speak to the idea of "saving money". I got a genny with a Honda motor. Luckily it was on sale. But it was still pricier than the cheapest genny.

Its 10 years old. I have changed the spark plugs twice? (I know, I should do it more often) oil 3-5 times. Not really sure actually. Had to drain the gas out of it when the gas went bad for reasons unknown once or twice.

It sits in a forest plugged into the well pump.

It still starts first pull. Occasionally I have to rev the motor to get the rotor unstuck and generating.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.