Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Flojet pump not turning off
paulz
# Posted: 28 Sep 2017 15:36

I just replaced my 1 gpm 12v Flojet pump with a 2.9 Flojet (03526-14A) for a better shower. I have a pretty long wiring run, about 50ft. of 16 gauge wire, from my battery to the pump, including a switch and some connectors. The old pump worked just fine, even when battery power was low, but the new pump doesn't shut off. If I jumper a battery right at the pump it turns off fine, but it doesn't like the voltage drop through the wiring. Even with thicker wire and a shorter run I don't think it will turn off when battery power is low.

Has anyone attempted to adjust the pressure switch on one of these?

razmichael
# Posted: 28 Sep 2017 21:48

You will definitely have an issue with voltage drop. The pump draw is 4.4 amps @10psi. 16g wire at 50 ft is almost 15% so 12v to 10.33v. VoltageDrop

Not sure adjusting the pressure switch would help. Can you move the pump closer and just use longer plumbing lines? Maybe heavier wires and/or multiple conductors (fuse appropriately for multiple conductors).

paulz
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 10:46 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks! Yes, I can easily move the pump from under the bathroom to the front of the cabin and eliminate most of the wire. Just pvc pipe, excellent idea! As an added bonus, I will no longer have to walk around to the back of the cabin to turn off the water when I leave.

And thanks again for the voltage calculator, that will be coming in handy.

Just
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 10:58

there is a pressure agustment screw under the pressure switch cover on most pumps .

paulz
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 12:38

Well moving my pump seemed like the answer..until I realized the switch is in the bathroom back by the pump, so wiring length wouldn't change much. So, I replaced the 16g wiring with 10g. Problem solved! Thanks again!

razmichael
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 13:19

Too late but you could also have used a relay at the pump and 16g wire from the switch to the relay. I have three sinks with taps that include on/ off switches built in. They all connect to a relay that sits near the pump with heavy gauge wire (battery to relay to pump).

paulz
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 09:37

Yep, that would have worked, thanks for the thought.

razmichael
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 20:09

As a side note I use these very low draw relays also for 3-way lights for the lofts. Switches downstairs and upstairs. This avoids any issues with voltage drop due to the long runs needed for 3 way switches. Also use them along with a couple of motion sensor connected lights (that actually have internal relays) so a light switch can override the motion sensor and turn the light on “manually”. Bit complicated logic for the wiring but works great.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.