Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Buyers Remorse (heater purchase, etc.)
t_bell40
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 10:01

Hi All, I am suffering from a little buyers remorse. I was in a big hurry to get heat in the unfinished shed I purchased. I bought a 30yr old heater ,35k btu, off of craigs list. I got a little ahead of myself. I should be finishing off the inside before I start looking at heaters. Then, I should have bought a newer 500 dollar model that just vents through the wall with little or no work involved. Not all is lost. I haven't drilled any holes yet. I will just have to move the clunky heater around while I put flooring in and wall insulation and sheeting. Just feel stupid. Pretty common feeling these days.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 11:48

I think many of us have been there..esp if you think your looking at a great deal. I've bought stuff (usually at the ReStore) then thought...now where the heck am I going to store this till I'm ready to use it for the cabin ! - Drives my wife crazy.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 12:02

We've spent a good part of our lifes working, planning and the last decade building for this cabin.
We have stuff stored in our basement and garage for the cabin due to the location of the cabin. Bringing it up in dribbles because of the U.S/Canada border crossing.
Recently we had somebody we thought we could trust with our cabin and land betray us.
It's just a heater don't beat yourself up about it.

t_bell40
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 12:26

Thanks All !! Kind words !! And Good Thoughts !!!

rockies
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 19:07

And back to the heater. Is it one of those old unvented kinds? If so, they are extremely dangerous since the fumes can build up inside the building. I hope you are installing a carbon monoxide detector.

One thing about great deals on 30 year old equipment is that the technology used to create the item was cutting edge - 30 years ago.

With any appliance that burns fossil fuels I always recommend going with a modern tested model built to todays codes. I hope you can find a good "direct vent" heater. Empire makes a few.

http://empirezoneheat.com/products/direct-vent-wall-furnaces/direct-vent-wall-furnace s/

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 19:19

Don't worry about, we have ALL bought stuff in "future thinking mode" and changed step in mid march... Believe me when I say, I stock piled for quite a bit and a number of things, many used in my projects but a few "left overs" that will hit the Garage Sale bin next spring.

Lemme see:
2 full lifts of 4'x8'x2" PolyISO insulation. Paper Faced - not foil.
1 Jotul 3TD Woodstove
1 Direct Vent Propane Fireplace (might still use that)
2 10' Steel Farm Gates (nice heavy steel ones).
1 RV Propane / 120v fridge.
1 RV type Stainless Cook Stove with small oven

I'm sure there is more too... BUT over winter I'll percolate on this things and upcoming projects and who knows, I may use some of it for something....

Just built a major Woodshed and used up a pile of surplus lumber... surplus because it was warped, twisted, some hockey sticks and a few that would have qualified for pretzels... made for a fiddly and a bit screwy build BUT it's a woodshed and it's darn solid too ! better use for SPF & PT than firewood !

I'm sure most could pop up a list of "extras & more" so don't worry about it and keep on plugging at the cabin.

Eddy G
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 20:10

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one...

Walking though home depot..."what, it 1/2 price?" "we'd better get some of that"......drag it all the way up to the cabin and we're like....it looked better in the store....
Or
Look at this funky looking set of chairs....they'll go great at the cabin...even though that rooms not near done yet and we have no where to put them but IN THE WAY...

Good to know I'm not alone....

Bexeler
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 20:34

This is a great thread that lets everyone know that they are not the only one that has bought something they don't need. I thought I was the only one. For the past year I could hardly get to my work bench and toolbox much less work on anything in my garage. There was so much stuff that we (the wife mostly)needed for a cabin that was not even close to being built. We just had a garage sale to get rid of all the stuff that will not fit into our cabin. I agree with Rockies when it comes to heaters make sure you get a new one and don't take any chances.

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 06:50

Hmmm.... Maybe there ought to be a "Cabineer's Flea Market & Swap Area" for our membership... as I am sure many of us have extra stuff someone else could use & vice a versa...

OK, I won't mail or ship the Jotul Iron Stove but meeting someone down the road kind'a thing maybe.... geez, the Jotul must weigh a minimum of 500 Lbs if an ounce.... lot's of Thick Heavy Iron... LOL

Cowracer
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 10:48 - Edited by: Cowracer

I don't have 'buyers remorse'...

But I have a laundry list of "if only I'd had known/thought about it ahead of time" things.

Little issues like not putting receptacles in where I didn't think I'd need them, only to find out I wish I had, to big things like doing a better job on my foundation piers.

But I always say, live each day like the worst is over. Whats done is done, and nothing really can't be undone, its just going to take more work and $$$

tim

Jebediah
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 16:06

I walked into a car dealership years ago with the intention of buying a Toyota land cruiser (1984), I walked out with a sports car/I was a hunting, fishing, kayaking, outdoorsy guy....about a 2 days later when the "look at me in my sports car" ego wore off I felt ill! My luck it was totaled in an mva a week later. I wasn't hurt and the other guys insurance bought me my Land cruiser!

I hear Vehicle dealerships offer buyers remorse now....there must be a catch though.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 18:10

thx for the reminder. my propane heater spewed massive amounts of black soot last winter. died. and I need a new one.

oh. and join the club. We could talk. 1/4 price 1500 litre water bag. still a bag. or. totally cool 1/2 price siding. well. actually. after two years of sitting in the field my girlfriend made me put it up. does look good.

I guess, like Steve said, you never know. I kept a free beat up old poc woodstove around for a decade. it now resides in my studio. heats great.

Steve_S
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 18:19

Aww Creeky, you made me laugh so hard ! MAN, I NEEDED THAT after an absolutely abysmal week. But I cannot consider the Jotul a POS, it's a gorgeous stove.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.