Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Great new tool for cabins: a rechargeable transfer pump
justins7
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 11:50

I just had to share this. I've been looking for a solution to my winter water situation. I only have running water in warm weather months (using an artesian well with water coming from springs nearby). Last winter I had to carry buckets over 200' back and forth from my pond. So I started looking for some kind of pump for this year (while I save up for a well or underground pipe situation).

I discovered that they now make battery-powered transfer pumps. So I bought the Milwaukee brand — and it's awesome! Just charge the battery, turn it on and stick one end in the pond, and out of the other side it shoots water down the full length of hose with pretty high pressure. It seems very useful for cabin life. I've also connected it to buckets for portable powered wash, etc.

There's also a Ryobi-branded one that's cheaper.

I was originally going to get a submersible pump, but that would've meant being tethered to a really long electrical cord. And then I was thinking about a gas-powered pump, but that is twice the cost and needs gas. This is quieter, and can be charged through an outlet.

I love these new battery-powered devices — very useful for cabin life!

Thought it might be useful to someone out there...

creeky
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 18:55

Cool. I can use this for sure. Thx.

Simon
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 22:13

Great thanks for sharing

Atlincabin
# Posted: 19 Nov 2017 09:35

How is the noise level on these? Would they be a potential replacement for a shurflo 12V pump?

justins7
# Posted: 20 Nov 2017 16:36

I'm don't have experience with the Shurflo pump, but I can say that the noise level is tolerable. (It's low enough to carry on a conversation with someone nearby.) There are youtube videos that give a good sense of the sound level.

I have to say that I LOVE this pump now that cold weather has really hit and I am using my new system. I unfurl the roll of hose from the cabin up to my pond, and there I use the cordless pump to run the water back down. The pressure — even from 200' and down through a hose reel, is enough to fill 5-gallon buckets in a few minutes.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 10:24

When our hot water tank blew at our main residence on January 1st this year, the plumber that came out used one of the Milwaukee cordless transfer pumps to drain the tank. It worked quite well and I don't recall it being overly loud, considering what it was and how it was powered. I recall being pretty impressed with the runtime as well.

WetCoastCabin
# Posted: 8 Feb 2018 19:01

I have used the Ryobi transfer pump a few times and it works well. I bit loud, but doesn't take more than about 10 minutes to move water from a 55 gallon drum. It was less than $100 CDN. I had to buy it in the US about 6 months ago ... maybe it's available in Canada now.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.