Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Another Generator
paulz
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 19:35

Sheesh, people keep giving me generators. Just drug this home, I guess it's an RV generator. Anyone familiar? Are they quiet? Looks like it has electric start.
0203181547a.jpg
0203181547a.jpg
0203181547b.jpg
0203181547b.jpg

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 19:44

Pretty cool. I gotta use a portable but if you can have a little generator barn that looks sweet.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 08:27

Geez, that is a very NICE gift to be given. Onan Gennies are tough machines and that being 7kw isn't a slouch. Docs etc are online so you should have no problems getting info.

ILFE
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 08:53

AND, the fact they turn 1800 RPMs is nice. I had an old Onan my brother sold me for cheap, years ago. Rugged gensets, for sure.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 10:52

Yes, they are "4 pole" units meaning they spin at half the speed (VS 2 pole) making them nice and quiet. Onan is great stuff. This was a nice score!

paulz
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 13:46

Thanks guys. I'm not sure this has ever even been used. The small town where my cabin is located has an emergency supply container and the disaster coordinator called and said come get it (me being the local mechanic/pack rat). They are probably getting a more portable unit, I didn't ask any questions! Should come in handy at the cabin. Nice to know it's a good unit. Now to find those online manuals...

ILFE
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 14:09

Quoting: paulz
I didn't ask any questions!

Neither would I!!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 16:43 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Now to find those online manuals...

Will there be anything else?
NHM 6800
http://www.rvrepairmanual.com/manuals/OnanNHMmanual.pdf

ILFE
# Posted: 4 Feb 2018 16:58

toyota_mdt_tech

paulz
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 09:51

That should do it TMT, thanks!

Just read that it has remote start capability, might open up some possibles, particularly since I don't have solar (not enough sun). I could put it in a shed away from the cabin and start it from the cabin when needed. Or (just thinking out loud), hook it to a timer and have it run when I'm not there to charge batteries or maybe even keep a small fridge cool. Oooh, that would be nice.

ILFE
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 10:41

... particularly since I don't have solar (not enough sun).

At risk of sounding like a smart a$$, where do you live?

paulz
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 11:34

I'm in the redwoods of the north west coast. Cabin is surrounded, as is my entire property. I've played with test panels, when the sun hits them it's only for a few minutes before it goes behind more trees. I've wanted to put them at the top of a tree but they are 150' or so high so not sure it's feasible.
0727151227a.jpg
0727151227a.jpg
overhead.JPG
overhead.JPG

ILFE
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 13:52

Would wind or hydro be an option?

paulz
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 14:59

Rarely any wind, it's a sheltered valley under a north slope. My creek is very small at the bottom and no water up above. About the only natural activity going on is the trees growing and producing oxygen. If I could find a way to harness that I'd be in business.

ILFE
# Posted: 5 Feb 2018 15:10 - Edited by: ILFE

Rarely any wind, it's a sheltered valley under a north slope. My creek is very small at the bottom and no water up above. About the only natural activity going on is the trees growing and producing oxygen. If I could find a way to harness that I'd be in business.

Well, it's an absolutely beautiful place to wake up each morning. Would be nicer to stay there without a genset. But, hopefully the one you use is as quiet as my Honda inverter.

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Feb 2018 07:25

For the occasional quiet evening
there's always genny charged batteries, as you mentioned

About the only natural activity going on is the trees growing and producing oxygen. If I could find a way to harness that I'd be in business

keep a fire

creeky
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 12:20

I have a friend who has a heavily wooded lot. Gets by on 3 hours of iffy sun. He put his small panels on a tree which he had limbed up. Below the top of the tree.

You show a bright lit slope. What about there?

If you go lithium batteries you can charge at quite a rapid rate. So just oversize your panels and away you go.

Gas money will quickly pay for the set up. Peace and quiet ... priceless.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 16:53

Hi Creeky,

That might have been a mid-summer photo, but yeah the sun does come through. I took some photos this morning. At 8am the sun peeks through to the east pretty well before going behind the trees on the hill to the south (behind the cabin). The sun actually clears the hill all year long, but with another 1/2 mile or so of dense trees no amount clearing on my property would do much. At the end of the day the sun comes through another gap to the west.

Another photo shows straight up. In summer the sun actually follows that open slot pretty well.

Another photo from my front door looking to the north, at the deck I'm building. You've given me an idea, I may be able to mount some panels on a platform high above the deck perimeter, that might be worth a shot.
0207180933.jpg
0207180933.jpg
0207180933a.jpg
0207180933a.jpg
0207180933_HDR.jpg
0207180933_HDR.jpg
0207181002.jpg
0207181002.jpg

ILFE
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 17:40

Maybe enlist some squirrels, chipmunks, or other tiny woodland creatures to run in squirrel cages belt driving an alternator?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.