Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 110 - 12v question
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 9 Jul 2018 16:47

I have been powering my 12 volt surflo pump from my small 12 volt solar setup, now that my 48volt system is running I dont have a direct source of 12 volt. Whats the best / most efficient way to convert from 110 - 12volt? the pump can draw 7.5 amps.

thanks.

ICC
# Posted: 9 Jul 2018 17:10 - Edited by: ICC

Look for a 48 VDC to 12 VDC converter. Samlex might still make them; I have a couple as well as 24 to 12 VDC converters. You can probably also find some on ebay, from chinese sellers

creeky
# Posted: 9 Jul 2018 17:41

or buy a
shurflo revolution now in 115v

bbandeddie
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 13:23

What creeky said and then sell the 12V pump. RV owners are constantly having to replace their pumps so selling it should be easy.
Certainly you could get a 48-12V converter but it is just adding inefficiencies to the system - I.e. lost power and as creeky mentioned to me on a similar question, it’s adding another system component which adds another point of failure.

creeky
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 16:28

btw. i was out at the farm. two weeks ago my new shurflo. freshly installed. developed an air leak. I'm like what??? after all my careful installation.

Sadly it developed the leak sometime after I had left the farm. It ran for days solid without water.

Long story short (the leak was in a valve not the system) and once the air leak was found, valve tightened, the pump works great.

ran dry for days. fixed. right back to work no problems. huzzah!!!

ICC
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 18:01 - Edited by: ICC

I assumed, and I know assumptions are bad, but I did.... I assumed the 120 VAC was coming from an inverter being run off the 48 volt battery. Therefore a DC to DC converter might be more efficient than running the inverter to power the pump. ???

creeky
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 19:57

yup. it will be. but if you already have the inverter running for lights etc.
plus
a high quality 48v inverter is 94% eff. so you're up there.
the better dc/dc are 96. meh. my 2%?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.