Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wiring an on/off switch to an off-grid Cummins Generator
markfing
# Posted: 14 Feb 2019 08:53

I have a propane powered Cummins 13kW off-grid generator. Can anyone help me identify the wires on the unit to attach wiring for an on/off switch for the generator? I can provide a link to the manual for the generator if that helps. I had this setup with a Generac model that finally gave up the ghost, however, the wiring harnesses in the Cummins model are more abundant and confusing.

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 Feb 2019 12:07

Post the link plus model number.

hamish
# Posted: 14 Feb 2019 19:09

Attach the switch to the ground leads off the ignition coil or coils.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Feb 2019 20:21

I think the OP wants to wire up a remote start system. ??? Surely the manufacturer should have that data available online?

hamish
# Posted: 16 Feb 2019 16:22

Key switch ground to kill the coils, start position to engergize the starting circuit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Feb 2019 12:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I assume its a battery ignition vs magneto, so just open the power to + coil. Magneto, grounding - would be fine. I'd be willing to bet its set up for remote starter kit now, you just have to research it. Heck, my Honda EU6500is is sey up for remote on/off/start.

I assume it has its own 12V battery charging system, so you dont want to kill just ignition, but all other circuits. Still easily doable, plus a push button starter switch.

Give us model, we can research it and come up with an answer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.