Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / House Sold. Moving off-grid. Systems Design
<< . 1 . 2 .
Scott G
# Posted: 30 Jun 2019 17:51

Not quite facing south
Screenshot_20190627.png
Screenshot_20190627.png

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Jun 2019 18:44

Looks great and if pic 2 is your garden area (smartly fenced ) then envious of that... if that doesn't produce enough to feed ya, somethin ain't right !

Scott G
# Posted: 30 Jun 2019 21:03

Thanks. Yeah that's the garden. It's around 7000 sq'. I'm not planting it very intensive this year with the move and all. I seeded out half with buckwheat that I use for cover crop and winter mulch cover. The bees like it too but no hives yet...to many bears.

Fence keeps the dogs and rabbits out but after solar I'll get some heat around it to hopefully keep raccoons out. As for the bears...

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jul 2019 08:59

Looks good. The travel trailer in the background really brought back some fond memories.

NorthRick
# Posted: 2 Jul 2019 13:14

Quoting: Scott G
Fence keeps the dogs and rabbits out but after solar I'll get some heat around it to hopefully keep raccoons out. As for the bears...

Electric fence for the bears. Or, is that what you mean by heat? Although not 100% guaranteed to keep bears out, electric fences are pretty effective if setup properly.

Scott G
# Posted: 2 Jul 2019 15:04

It'll look better with some panels out there Creeky.

Yeah I meant electric fence/wire. Good to hear it can be effective, even somewhat, when dealing with bears. Saw another one this morning just down the road.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Jul 2019 12:16

Ohhh Scott, something just occurred to me that you should ponder on.

Get a good book on identifying your local snakes and familiarize yourself with them. The other day I caught a 6' Milk Snake (harmless) but the Eastern Brown which looks very similar is NOT harmless and unless you can spot the differences, things could be very unpleasant. There are some dangerous critter's slitherin around... Better safe & knowledgeable than sorry and in a panic.

Scott G
# Posted: 4 Jul 2019 14:32

Never occurred to me. I'm near Rexton, NB. We're in a funny spot. I'm 100 yards from the grid passing by, in cottage country near a river. I'm in a 4 acre opening within 38 acres. All the game passes from water to food to bedding through me. Didn't think about snakes.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.