Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / AGM vs. Flooded Batteries in a Radio Repeater
paulz
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 10:39

My area has an emergency radio repeater on a hill. 5 years ago I replaced the 4 AGM batteries with regular flooded deep cycle bats, not aware of any drawbacks. They want them replaced again as a precaution. Flooded are 100$ each, agm 225. They sit in a waterproof enclosure, connected to solar and rarely get used. The flooded show a touch of corrosion on the terminalsl, othetwise all looks fine.

Is there any particular advantage to gping to agms again? Same life expectancy?

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 14:30

The first thing that comes to mind is way less maintenance, no checking water levels monthly. Second they will withstand deeper discharge.

That said if you/someone is willing to do the maintenance and ghe FLA worked well for the last 5 years.... save some money.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 14:38

ditto

NorthRick
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 16:44

Properly cared for, FLA will outlast AGM. If the batteries do not get used much and just sit in float most of the time, water usage on FLAs will be minimal.

I inspected the fuel systems on diesel powered mountain top microwave repeaters and the backup batteries for those were FLAs. Clear cases on racks. You could tell the water level at a glance. Some of these sites are only visited once or twice a year.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Nov 2019 10:44

FLA it is. Thanks guys!

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Nov 2019 14:07

A precaution of what? Usualy batterys slowly die not completly shut down over night. If you really want to test them wait until the coldest night with a dark day before and start gabbing away.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Nov 2019 16:44

This repeater is used by the emergency disaster people. They have a bunch of liaisons with radios spread out over the area. It's not something I necessarily believe in but it is what it is, they have a lot more money than I do. Their concern is that there will be some major disaster (the epicenter of the 1906 is just a few miles away, plus it's hilly, windy and heavily wooded. The recent NorCal fires have put the fear in people) and radio communications will be down. The battery guy told me (as you might expect) that batteries in this situation are routinely replaced after 5 years.

Anyway, I get the old batteries, 'cause I have bunch of dead cores. I got a couple years use out of the last batch.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Nov 2019 17:13

And cores bring about $15 here.

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Nov 2019 07:14

You get the old ones?....change them out! Lol

offgrididaho
# Posted: 21 Nov 2019 12:35

Paulz, you're totally missing the big picture here. Tell them they need to be swapped out with Lithium, on the same 5 year rotation plan, and in five years you get the old lithiums

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 19:13

Quoting: offgrididaho
Paulz, you're totally missing the big picture here. Tell them they need to be swapped out with Lithium, on the same 5 year rotation plan, and in five years you get the old lithiums

paulz
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:44 - Edited by: paulz

Don't I wish..

So I got 5 of the old FLA batteries, the fire chief pilfered one. They are holding 12.7 volts, looks like I'll get some good use out of them, at least a couple going into my new carport.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed to admit I never checked on them since installed in 2014. Fortunately they all have water covering the plates, but they do need topping up. Which brings up a couple of questions: best water to use, the local market has spring water, purified water, distilled water... Second, I remember hearing somewhere not to add too much at any one time or in total? Looks like they may be an inch below the little tube that indicates full.

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 13:37

Distilled is what I always use... and as long as the plates are covered I have always just filled them up. Interested if there is a different, or "proper way" !

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 14:14

ALWAYS use nothing but distilled water. Minerals and chlorides from tap water will harm the battery.

For topping up the easiest way is to buy and use a battery water filler with an auto-stop spout. Google "battery water filler". Most auto parts stores still have them, as well as Amazon, Walmart, etc. No thinking required.

It is true that one should not add too much water at a time. The battery should be fully charged before adding water. If the level is low adding some water and then charging is okay. The plate tops should be covered with fluid before commencing the charge. Then when the charge is complete add some water and recharge.

The fluid will expand when charged so if you add a lot of water and then charge it is possible to overfill. Another wintertime danger is to top up with water and not recharge right away. The water is less dense than the acid and will sit on top. If it is quite cold that could freeze. Always best to add water to a fully charged battery and then charge some more. The bubbling will mix the electrolyte.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 14:16

If not using an auto-stop filler then fill only up to the bottom of the split you see in the inner top portion of the battery cell.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 16:37 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys. Back from the market, gallon of distilled water, $1.79. Such a deal. Batteries filled, topping of charge again. Also stopped at the auto parts, no filler thingy.

As long as were talking FLAs, I believe the not leaving on concrete thing dates back to the old tar cases, right? And what about a battery that gets left outside and gets wet, enough drain to worry about?

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 16:46

Quoting: paulz
I believe the not leaving on concrete thing dates back to the old tar cases, right?

Yes

what about a battery that gets left outside and gets wet, enough drain to worry about

Never had one that was any good laying about outside. One tractor that sits outside gets rained on a lot, no problems with it.

I would worry more about accidental short circuits with the bare terminals when a battery is left sitting around.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 16:48

Also stopped at the auto parts, no filler thingy.

Maybe they are more common around here because we are a bunch of older guys who use old flooded style batteries in a lot of our machines? Most younger people have no idea what they are as most cars and trucks used "maintenance free" batteries.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.