Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Can anyone identify this bird? (By song)
1300_stainless
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 07:14 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Love listening to these guys sing. You can hear them quite clearly from my camp. They are usually active in the evening. I am curious to know what type of birds they are. I asked my mother who is an occasional bird watcher, and she's not sure. Now we are both curious! Location is near Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/carpart/Birds%20Loudest%20small%20file_zpsilox du00.mp4

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 09:53

dagnabit I know it but the aged brain ... ruby crowned kinglet perhaps?

so many regional variations tho.

umm. you might try calling it to see if it will come in for a visual ID. some birds, like Catbird, are very easy to call in. Others not so much.

I have the best luck with a tsss tsss tsss sound. Similar to the dee-dee-dee rhythm of a chickadee. Most birds, especially in low stress environments, are quite curious. (Catbirds you do your best imitation of a cat. A cardinal like whistle sometimes works. etc)

I also find not overcalling to be important. Not to be mister partikalar: but three to 5 notes repeated no more than 3 times.

Unless you get into a battle with a bird. sometimes they will start calling at you. then you can go on and on if you so desire.

My favorite story. I was out for a nature walk with a girlfriend and she asked me what were those distant little birds. So I tssstssstsss'ed to call them in for a better look. She laughed at me. I was such a silly! Immediately five birds flew in and landed on a branch right in front of us. It's so rare I get to be right.

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 10:02

here's a pic of a catbird I called in this spring. he started calling at me as I walked down a treeline to the creek. I began calling to him. He followed me calling back. Once I was settled in the hammock I stopped calling. Suddenly there he was in the tree up above me. I called once more. And he came in to have a better look.

I was playing with a friends camera while she and Ms. M went for a paddle. So it was pretty nice to get this shot.
catbird.jpg
catbird.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 10:40

My sister, an avid birder, identifies it as a hermit thrush.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 11:56

Checked them both out online, Hermit Thrush seems like it may be the winner. Thanks!

hattie
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 12:46

That is a very pretty bird song.

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 15:22

Nothing nicer than pretty bird calls on a still evening or at first light. There is a pair of great horned owls that patrols through my property fairly often and they have lulled me to sleep more than once.

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 18:02

We have a brown thrasher at my cabin... Sings such a beautiful variety of calls. He welcomes us every visit .. Sings to us all day and half the evening. I love that bird. Makes my cabin visits just that more enjoyable.

old greybeard
# Posted: 7 Jul 2015 07:19

Sounds very close to the wood thrush. Which is my favorite birdsong here in the the N.E.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 7 Jul 2015 07:50

Thanks for the responses everyone. I like being able to put a name to the sound. These guys really make evenings at the camp more enjoyable. Their song fits very well with the babbling brook

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.