Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / How far from home to your cabin?
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
TomChum
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 01:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Hey folks, wondering how far away is your getaway?

What are the specifications to your "Labor of Love"? Please post some details about how much "trouble" it takes to get to your cabin.

Mine are:

135 miles from home to cabin
Time is 2:45 door-to-door

Other details:
12 miles to nearest supermarket
12 miles to nearest building supplies
2.5 miles walk from plowed road (when snowed-in)

smitty
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 03:03

500 miles
8.5 hrs
The site is about the same distance to town as yours.

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 08:35

We are 17 Kilometers from our home to our cabin . It takes about 15 -20 minutes to get there . We are 10 kilometers from the closest town and approximately 10 Kilometers from a popular beach.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 08:41

30 min drive from home to camp
9 miles to a small grocery store
15 miles to home depot
never snowed in :-)

Rob_O
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 08:48

Google maps says just over 20 miles and 30 minutes. 10 minutes to the grocery or wal-mart

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 09:06

3 hours 45 minutes to the cabin !!!
3 miles to town
30 minutes to Home Depot

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 09:27

240 mi (386 km)
5 hrs in the Jeep (with a tail wind), 3.5-4 hrs in the Buick depending on pit stops (tail wind or not).
$48

Reverse robbery mini mart, with laughing hyena proprietor (when you lay your cash down), 11 mi (18 km).
$50 (for anything if you don't have change)

Gas 20 mi (32 km)
$5

Big box store 60 mi (97 km)
$15

Having a cabin, no matter where.........priceless

Quoting: TomChum
Please post some details about how much "trouble" it takes to leave your cabin to go home!

20 minute battle to get cabi in the Jeep (what with the flailing arms and kicking and all....the screaming doesn't bother me when I keep my good ear on the lee side.........)

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 09:45

We are about 3 hrs & 45 minutes also but it usually takes us half a day to get there because we'll stop at HD or Lowes or Wally World to do our parts and food shopping on the way. We make a day of it getting there but we usually stay for a week when we go and rarely have to make a run for anything. I am specifically excluding ice cream from the mix because its always worth a trip to town for that!

Town is about 10 minutes in one direction or 15 in another and we vary but usually do the 10 minute one.

Hardware stores both places in a pinch. Small mom and pop places that you really like to wander around in. Good selection - higher prices.

We are also 1.3 miles up a pretty rough logging
road that we spend more time maintaining than does the logging company.

Have a snowmobile to get in during winter months.

projectnorth
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:01

It's 265 kms (164 miles) from my condo in the city to the boat launch. Then it's 8 kms (5 miles) in my little tin boat to my place. That's about 2 1/2 hrs in the truck, then another 20 mins in the boat if I go directly and don't stop for anything. So it can take 3 hours on a good day to get there.

The nearby town (7 kms) from the boatlaunch has basic groceries, hardware, liquor store, gas etc, and a couple of restaurants.

30kms away is Parry Sound which has all services and larger stores (home depot, rona, sobey's etc.).

dabones
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:43

we're about 300Km's from Home to Land.. most of this is via Freeways, with the last (on the way to land) ~85Km via 2-Lane Blacktop that runs trough many small towns..
We also have Customs to deal with at the Border..

Usually we make it in about 3.5hrs down, (did it in 3 hrs once, but used too much fuel to drive that speed) cuz we leave early morning when there is no wait times getting into the US.. on the way home we always have a half-hour or sometimes hour wait to get back into Canada, there have been a few select times where there was no lines, but that is very rare..

our Land is about <15 mins from a small Village with a decent grocery store, bother & brother hardware store and dollar store.. and we use the McDonalds washroom and free wifi all the time..

then about 20 mins the other direction is a bigger town, with Walmart and Home Depot, and other big box stores, and a ton of restaurants, etc..

we're on a paved road, that has very basic maintenance done on it, our property has 450 feet of road frontage, so it's pretty easy getting into our driveway..

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:49

Quoting: dabones
did it in 3 hrs once, but used too much fuel to drive that speed

dabones,

HA, that's funny. You are indeed a rarity: a CDN who actually drives at the speed limit! 8-o
My experience: You need a NASCAR co-pilot to make it up or down the QEW on a normal day!

hattie
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 12:36 - Edited by: hattie

Before we lived here full time, we were 3 1/2 hours away. Going home after a weekend here was always very quiet and stressful - that's why we moved here full time. *S*

The closest grocery store is 30 minutes away. For big shopping (Walmart, big grocery store, big hardware stores) we drive 2 hours. Small hospital is 30 minutes away, but they just patch 'em and ship 'em...The closest big hospital is 2 hours away.

The road to the town that is 30 minutes away from us is paved, but very twisty with frequent rock slides and LOTS of deer on the road. There are no street lights. We don't drive it at night unless we have to.

We don't have any stores or gas stations in our town.

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 12:48

135 miles away.

2 hrs. 20 minutes driving time.

15 minutes to big grocery store, 30 minutes to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

Good thred. Interesting.

dabones
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 13:12

Quoting: bobrok
HA, that's funny. You are indeed a rarity: a CDN who actually drives at the speed limit! 8-o
My experience: You need a NASCAR co-pilot to make it up or down the QEW on a normal day!

haha.. yeah I know.. I piss off alot of ppl on the QEW!! I drive over the 100Km/h speed limit, but I stay below 115km/h most of the time.. most everyone else does atleast 130k..

sometimes if we think it'll be really busy, we'll take some back roads from Niagara Falls over to Hamilton area, but then it adds another 30-40 mins to the drive..

TomChum
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 14:09 - Edited by: TomChum

Good info. Fun to scroll down the post and read the different miles/times/tribulations. Even if you just write the miles and times it's good info.

Keep on truckin' ,,,

( & on-topic? ;-)

Becca
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 16:06 - Edited by: Becca

Our cabin will be approximately 350 miles (6 hour drive) away on my family's land in south Georgia.

It's not really much of a hassle to get there, but I do take back roads once I cross the SC/GA state line. I always joke that I know when I'm in GA because there's nothing worth listening to on the radio and I have to start passing tractors on the road.

About 10 miles to the nearest grocery store and a good 45 miles to the nearest Lowes and Home Depot.

nicalisa
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 16:23 - Edited by: nicalisa

Wellllll.......for us it depends on multiple factors in our quest to reach our piece of paradise:)

40 minutes to the ferry terminal
???? of waiting time (about 30 min if we reserve:)
45 minutes on the ferry and then off of the ferry
1.25 hour drive to the water taxi......
30 minutes to lug everything from our minivan into the water taxi
15 minutes trip up the inlet to our beach
15 minutes to drag it off the boat and onto the beach.
15 minutes to walk up to the site and get the trailer hitched to the quad and drive it to the waters edge.
15 minutes to load it up and empty it onto our cabin deck
2 minutes to locate a cool beverage.

All in about 4.5 to 5 hours right now. But worth it when you get there:)

local stores.....none unless you go back the way you came or one of the neighbors has it for you to beg or barter to get:) The moral of the story is not to forget it before you leave:)

BlaineHill
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 19:20

If I take main roads, it's 80 miles. If I take back roads it's 65 miles. It's an hour and a half either way.

7 miles to the Tastee-Freez
10 miles to McDonalds
20 miles to the Emergency Room

squirrel
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 19:33

takes me about 30 minutes to get there doesn't usually take me too long to load and go we re about 20 minutes from sunco and 25 from the home town grocery 28 minutes to big grocery which is next to home 40 minutes to wally world. almost in my back yard compared to lots of you. but our home place is close to the mountains just not far enough from people

lawnjoky
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 10:22

From where we are living now 1100 miles. Nearest store 30 miles. nearest building materials 60 miles. Nearest Home Despot 90 miles.

iwhitewater
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 18:01

285 miles 5 hours including one gas stop and a drive through for dinner. Nearest Walmart 35 miles with a Home Depot across the street. Nearest grocery store is 16 miles.

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 19:56

110 miles.
1 1/2 - 2 hrs depending on traffic flow.
Beer/Ice/Necessities store about 10 miles.
Nearest real city/town 1 hour.

neb
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 22:18

24 miles from home
1 mile from plowed road
8 miles from very small town with food supply's

samoni
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 23:53

we are exactly 100km from the cabin

smitty
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 02:15 - Edited by: smitty

"From where we are living now 1100 miles. "

Dang I thought we had a trip to make. That's amazing..

Hick
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 23:42

If takes us 4 hours/ 350 miles. We are 7 miles off the main road. The nearest town with a population of 300 is 27 miles away. The closest main town/city is 1.5 hours away. I wish it was closer!

Jerry
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 08:30

Takes me about an hour to get to my cabin door. A friend once told me if you don't travel at least an hour to get to your cabin, it doesn't feel like you're away from home. Some wisdom there if you think about it.

Once there, you'd better have what you need because it's just about an hour's drive to get groceries, plumbing supplies, etc. I end up bringing more than I need because it's really frustrated to be in the middle of a job and not have that one little fitting or whatever to complete a project. I'm sure many of you have been in that situation. At that point all you can do is declare the work day over and snap a cold one. And what's wrong with that?

Vince P
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 13:31

Quoting: Hick
If takes us 4 hours/ 350 miles. We are 7 miles off the main road. The nearest town with a population of 300 is 27 miles away. The closest main town/city is 1.5 hours away. I wish it was closer!

I feel for you. My place is 270 miles and typically takes about 4.5 hours

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 19:10 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Hick
takes us 4 hours/ 350 miles

Hooo Doggies...that's movin'
350 mi divide 4 hrs = 87.5 MPH average
Gotta be hittin' the century mark on the speedo awhile to average that.....my kinda drivin'.
Toss in a Ted Nugent 'Stranglehold' CD, or a little 'When the Bullet Hits the Bone', and it's pedal to the metal.
Little 'shine' in the trunk tank and now it's a fun money run.
Yeeeeehaaw

OK. Tired now, need a nap.

TG
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 22:17

Blessed to have inherited a part of the, now 5th generation family farm/ranch, and have recently put in an insulated portable building with a small bedroom, VERY small shower/toilet room, and a loft over the front porch, for a starter cabin in one corner of the ranch area down a dead end road, with the picture window opening to a pond about 100 yards from the front door. I hope to replace it with a larger family sized cabin someday, financed by a working ranch.

17 miles/25 minutes from home; but from effect it might as well be 17 hours.

15 miles from Walmart/hospital/restaurants

Come on retirement!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.