Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Great site
jrbarnard
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 06:53 - Edited by: jrbarnard

I just figured to make a post stating I am having a blast with this site. The pictures are just awesome and it makes me want to go out and spend more time at my ranch.. heh

Tons of ideas, just soaking them in. Thanks for all the answers and advise.

Still coming back and reading and looking ;)

We will not be building my cabin till next March (last day of March first week of April actually) so no pictures till then.. heh.. just planning and re-planning ;)

Russ
Rocksprings, TX (The ranch that is..home is in Round Rock, Texas...I must like rocks!)

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 11:43

Bet you'll be counting down the days till March/April!

hattie
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 12:27

Planning first is always a good thing. *S* Do you have any pictures of your property? How much land do you own?

jrbarnard
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 13:17 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Troll: Yea.. I am wishing I could go to sleep and wake up and it is March 30th ;)

My biggest thing now is, "how much room is enough?"...i.e. I am SO liking some of the designs on here that I might be inclined to downsize my plans to offset the cost of building it a different way (I love the log cabin look).

When I head out there Saturday, I will be staking the area out to see how much space it will actually be, then make a determination.

Hattie: Been planning already since April.. lol. We have about 230 acres, total.

I have TONS of pictures, let me see if I can link a few, but the rest can be found here:

Our Ranch Website (and family)

Valley shot The aerial shot

This is a view from the BACK of where we are going to build the cabin. We have to clear some of the stuff out to make room, but the view is great:

Cabin view

Russ

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 14:00

You will have a beautiful view won't you!

BELIEVE me when I say that I have had to really learn patience during our whole project too. Sometimes it is really hard!!!

May I suggest that you continue planning and researching and really thinking about what is important to you,what kind of space you really need and how you will use it. It would perhaps also be of help to bookmark photo's from a website or magazines and keep a collection and after a while you will notice similarities. Remember there are a lot of ways to incorporate a lot of wood and post or beams from logs if you can't afford to build a log cabin.

Good luck!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 14:02

Already on that, but thanks.. heh

I have my PC full of other people's photos etc, things I like or do not like...etc.

It'll all come together eventually. I just sent in the application to get the electrical pole installed. NOT looking forward to a 2-3k dollar outlay for a pole.. heh

R

hattie
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 22:50

I love that million dollar view!! Good planning to take advantage of that!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 10:12

We will be building up front, closer to the actual view and a little to the left, but the cedars were blocking the view till we cut them down, so I took a photo of this view.. heh ;)

Russ

jrbarnard
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 21:12

Well, that building site is out of the question :(

We were out there this weekend and it would cost over 8k dollars to get the road to go where we want it to go and another 3-5k just to hook up the electricity...this is all the "at least" price guesses.

Then, we might not even be ABLE to get the building supplies up that road.

So, I am going to build down in the valley instead. I have a few good spots in mind and am going to scale down the size of the cabin to focus on cooling and heating it well.

I have about 6 months to plan it.. er...re-plan it.. so will be looking at all options.

My goal is a 1 room with 1 bathroom and at the very least a 10-ft porch (covered)...maybe a loft as well.

R

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.