Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Complex vs Standard building codes
bthompson
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 11:56

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone can provide me with some answers. I'm thinking of building a small cabin at Alison Lake BC Princeton. I see in some documentation here:

https://princeton.civicweb.net/Documents/DocumentDisplay.aspx?Id=162

There is documentation about a "Complex" vs "Standard" buildings. I'm wondering if anyone knows why there is this distinction? When I review the document linked above I don't see any obvious differences in fact the "Standard" building seems to have more requirements (Only thing I see is Standard is less than 600 square feet). I know that at Alison Lake this area is considered residential and not recreational.

Anyways thanks in advance. If anyone has any info or where I could get some more info that would be great.

Thanks,

Brad

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:43

"exceeding three stories in building height under the complex whereas standard is 3 stories or less was one thing I picked out as well as the sq footage. those seem to be key

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:59

Quoting: bthompson
(Only thing I see is Standard is less than 600 square feet). I know that at Alison Lake this area is considered residential and not recreational

Admittedly, I did not read through the whole thing...bylaws and codes are such a snooze but I am thinking that being zoned residential you may have to build over 600 sq. feet anyways and therefore you would have to follow the complex codes.

What are the sq. foot requirements for residential zoning? and are you sure your area of Alison Lake is zoned residential?

razmichael
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 14:06

The break down is fairly well spelt out in section 2 (if you read it two or three times). Firstly, the size boundary is Square Meters, not feet! Assuming it is not a care/detention, assembly occupancy or high hazard industrial then the next breakdown is over 600 Sq M or more than 3 stories. After that it depends a bit on use but I suspect the OP aim has nothing to make it a "complex" code build. I suspect the meters/feet mix up is the cause for the concern.

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 14:26

Sq metrs... doh! Living in America too long.... I saw 600 and didn't read the meters...

bthompson
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 15:28

Thanks for the replies guys. It is zoned residential which is odd I think for us it will be recreational though. We were trying to see if building a "Standard" building is easier because of easier building codes or something maybe this is not a factor.

I must say the documentation for building permits/codes is written in an almost undecipherable way. It's almost as if they don't want you to read it and just hire a professional to handle it all

Thanks again,

Brad Thompson

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 15:44

Quoting: razmichael
The break down is fairly well spelt out in section 2 (if you read it two or three times). Firstly, the size boundary is Square Meters, not feet!

Ha...my brain didn't register that either! Duh!
So what are meters equivalent to in feet?

Many places here in the US zone residential to protect the "live in" homeowners who don't want to have some little "shack" thrown up next to them-even if it is around a lake or clearly more of a recreational area.

I agree with you on the writing of those codes...one can hide a lot in page after page of legal mumbo jumbo can't they!

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 18:54

600 sq meters = 6458.35 sq feet. Should be no problem getting a house under that maximum. So as long as none of the others items that trigger a project to the "complex" category it should be possible to build under a "standard" permit.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.