Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Property Question (Building in Saskatchewan)
hitanktank
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 20:05

I am building a "tiny house" on a piece of property I am renting from a guy who owns a lot of property. It is essentially middle of nowhere off grid, no ties to utilities at all. My concern is I build the thing and some representative of the Municipality comes and tells me to take it down or move it. This is actually the email him and I exchanged---Im still concerned--any thoughts?

no i checked we are good and if that ever were to happen i would subdivide it for u

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2012 2:56 PM
Subject: quick question

not sure if we went over this

When I build the tiny house on your land some RM guy isnt gonna come along and make me tear it down due to some kind of regulations or anything, are they?
Im completely unaware of bylaws about this or anything

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 20:18

Before building it is up to you to check on the local laws and regulations regarding small buildings. Sounds like in your case that would be the Rural Municipality. You may find they allow buildings under a certain size to be built without any permits. If that is the case ask if they mean storage sheds or tiny houses you can live in. Many places allow storage / utility sheds but draw the line at buildings with running water, kitchens or sleeping quarters. Much better to ask now, before building, than to have to tear down or move away at some later point.

IMO, with what I know, subdividing won't get around any issues with buildings that might be or might not be permitted on the existing piece of land. Normally, around where I am at least, subdividing opens whole new "cans of worms" that must be dealt with. Unless the issue is with too many homes on one piece of land, that is. But then who pays for the subdivision costs?

hitanktank
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 20:23

well theres no doubt I am the only house that would be on this piece of land, and for miles around no less. I agree better to know now than build and have to tear it down. Ya I cant see subdividing being relevant in this case. They are gonna have their bylaws and thats that. I'm gonna call tomorrow and see whats what.

I cant find it online. Some RM's have their building bylaws up. This is RM 250, Last Mountain Lakes in Saskatchewan. Maybe someone can see something I cant

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.