Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / 15.9 acres in upstate NY with 10 x 24 cabin, 2 ponds and trails for sale
swapsun
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 15:57

The parcel:
This 15.9 acre parcel is located near the historic town of Sidney, NY. The parcel measures 450 ft (450 feet of frontage on a seasonal town road) with a depth of 1540 ft. It is a fully wooded, gently sloping property with two beautiful ponds (one close to the cabin and the other at a slightly higher elevation). Both ponds are spring/rain fed and have great potential to be turned into proper sized mini-lakes with some elbow grease and an excavator. The County installed a little pipe in front of the property that always seems to be flowing with freshwater - I collect my freshwater here when I am out and about at the cabin. Neighbors are pretty far away (the adjoining 10 acres to the left, the 30 acres to the right as well as 50 acres behind the property are also similarly wooded and no permanent structures - perfect place for your getaway). By the way, you would not find any electricity here, if you really must have it, a generator is the best thing to do - I have used a Honda 2000i there while I used to camp on the property.

The Cabin:
The 10X24 cabin is insulated, roughly carpeted and covered with plywood paneling (needs a little bit of patching on the inside). The cabin is about 3 years old, Amish constructed out of seasoned wood and is very sturdy. It has a bunk bed that I had installed which can comfortably sleep two people with ample room on the floor to spare for more people to camp. The camp has a little covered patio in front with space for a little coffee table and two chairs. The camp also two doors, one opening out to a vista of trees in front and the second door behind opening out to a backyard that gently slopes upward. It is very pretty in summers and covered with snow in the winters. The parcel was minimally logged about 5 years back, but is generously covered with a great collection of pines, maples and hemlock.

Nearby attractions:
Sidney, NY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney,_New_York) is a charming little town about 5 miles from the property and has all the amenities that towns this size can offer. For bigger and better recreation, Cooperstown, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperstown,_New_York) is about 50 miles away. Access to the 1314 acre South Hill State (http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/8114.html) is about a miles walk from the property and the hunting opportunities there are good. 15 minutes from the property are the Melondy State Forest (5417 acres), Arctic China State Forest (2858 acres), Steam Mill State Forest (5162 acres) and Oquaga Creek State Park (55 acre lake with ice fishing in winter). Not to mention, access to the famous Finger Lakes Trail is 20 minutes away from the property.

I have loved this place when I bought it two years ago, but have found a larger plot to enjoy the outdoors and am willing to sell this lovely piece of land for $46,000. Please email me for photos if interested.

maf
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 20:39

I just bought a place nearby in trout creek---Are you staying local??

swapsun
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 08:23

Hello Maf,

Nice to hear that you got a place near Trout Creek. It is beautiful.
No, I do not stay local. We live in NJ exactly 3.5 hours away... The drive along 88 is very beautiful...
We bought a place in the Adirondacks (wife and kids loved it) and it was getting difficult to pay the property taxes for the new place as well as the taxes for this place in Sidney.

S.

Rossman
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 09:16

Who wouldn't love a spot in the Adirondacks!

mikehu1966
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 10:20

Sounds Nice, but I just bought in Afton... Good Luck

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:07

This looks interesting...

BTW- how did you find your place in the Adirondack Mountains

swapsun
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 14:36

@Rossman,

Very much agree with you... We were up there on Dec 29th and the place was heaven. Foot deep in snow, we had to trek quite some to get upto our cabin in the Adirondacks (ADKs).. Once inside, got the wood stove going and it took about 3 hours to get from 15F to 75F. Love the ADKs...

@mikehu1966,

Afton's very nice too... I am glad...

@TheCabinCalls,

Finding our place in the ADKs was pure luck... Surfing through the site landandfarm.com (my wife disapproves of this habit of mine), I ran into this place in the ADKs that was just right (easy access to the woods, mature trees, minimal shrub cover, trails (both walkable as well as snowmobile), a dug well, no electricity, wood stove, enough space to 'feel lost' around the cabin, tree cover and most of all, no neighbors... It was quite something to convince my wife, but when she saw the place, she liked it very much and supported my efforts.. Could not bring the price down too much, but I took a second mortgage on the thing and we got it. Not only is it an investment, but it is a place we go to unwind almost every other week. It is about 4 hours from home, but who cares...

maf
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 22:06

Good luck with it...this is my first cabin---have lots to do, but over time

UpstateNYADK
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 09:24

Good Luck with your cabin in ADK. We built ours this past year. Its 5 hours from NJ, but its turned out to be worth it....We are in the western foothills of the Adirondacks...up there last weekend and it was a winter wonderland...We drive through Sydney on our way to the ADK's.

swapsun
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 09:34

Photos of Sidney Cabin
Sidney Cabin approach
Sidney Cabin approach
Small pond on upper elevation in Sidney cabin parcel
Small pond on upper elevation in Sidney cabin parcel
Verdant
Verdant
Spring at Sidney Cabin
Spring at Sidney Cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.