Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / land prices
<< . 1 . 2 .
elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 01:12

IDAHO:

We paid $28k for a little over 2 acres. It skyrocketed to over $380k (county assessed value; market higher than that) at the height of the market.

Latest assessment is $80k. I think land values got completely out of control in the past 10 years and are starting to come back down but still have a ways to go. Most land on the market still is reflecting some of those higher, inflated prices. Ultimately things are worth what someone is willing to pay. I'd love to find land around here at $350 an acre!

iwhitewater
# Posted: 15 Feb 2011 16:47

7 years ago I paid $2000 an acre for a little over 10 acres in northern Arkansas. This is on the north side of the Buffalo National river. There are 5 to 10 acre plots going for as low as 3000 an acre in that area. Larger plots can go cheaper and can have caves, woodlands, streams, wildlife and more. There is land close to some lakes in that region as well as access to excellent trout fishing on the White river. Branson and all the glitz and recreation including Table Rock lake are within an hour drive from this area.

Scott_T
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 17:33

I hope I don't jinx myself but I am about to close in about a week on a 20 acre tract within a half mile of Albemarle Sound (NC) where I plan to eventually put a small cabin (then I will register as a small cabin "member" at this site. :-)

The prices are coming down rapidly in many places - especially coastal areas where it was insanely over priced. I can attest that no offer is likely to be considered a "low ball" offer right now. Mine will close at half the list price!

hattie
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 18:03

Good luck Scott_T. Keep us posted how you make out.

Scott_T
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 21:03

Thanks hattie. Will do.

neb
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 21:24

I bought 65 area's for 1000.00 an area that borders the Yellowstone river. There is a lot of cedar tree's but still I think I paid to much. This is a great piece of land.

dvgchef
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:46

Land values are a head scratcher - I paid $4K/acre for an 11 acre tract just north of the Catskills in NY State; 3 years later my next door (although there are no doors!) neighbor is trying to sell 26 acres at $8K/. Go figure.

And Neb - I would be thrilled to buy land like yours for $1K/!

hattie
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 12:26

neb....Congratulations on the land. That is a beautiful view!

neb
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 21:14

Yes land is expensive and for me it really was a big deal to dish out that kind of money. I am far from rich so it was a big deal. I'm total excited about this land. The picture is at one of the most rugged parts of this ground. I bow hunt only so it is great for me. I have started a small cabin and will finish this spring. One more thing I really like this site. I visit it everyday but haven't posted till just lately. Thanks again for all your help.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 21:27

neb----awesome view of your property......i bow hunt as well, what are you huntng out there??????????
down here in the south , we bowhunt--deer, turkey and wild hogs and some small game.

Rob_O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 21:59

Quoting: Scott_T
The prices are coming down rapidly in many places - especially coastal areas where it was insanely over priced. I can attest that no offer is likely to be considered a "low ball" offer right now. Mine will close at half the list price

My mother and step-dad had a place on the outer banks. Owned it for 5 years and got triple the purchase price when they sold it. That was 10 years ago, it's probably worth less now than mom paid 15 years ago

neb
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 22:24

turkeyhunter, I hunt mule and whitetail deer. There is turkey and all upland game all you want. There is a lot of pheasants and have had them as close as 10 feet from the blind. There is moose that pass through here as well as lion and cat's. Yes it is a great place and the best of all it is one mile from the closest county road. It is very isolated piece of land. I do feel very blessed to own this land.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 06:18

Quoting: neb
turkeyhunter, I hunt mule and whitetail deer. There is turkey and all upland game all you want. There is a lot of pheasants and have had them as close as 10 feet from the blind. There is moose that pass through here as well as lion and cat's. Yes it is a great place and the best of all it is one mile from the closest county road. It is very isolated piece of land. I do feel very blessed to own this land.

i like the isolation for sure....is that WY or MT???

neb
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 08:09

It is in ND I live in MT.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 09:16

10-4...........nice piece of property---headed back to SD in april to chase the gobblers on the indian reservation....... beautiful property there as well.

Martian
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 15:24 - Edited by: Martian

We bought an old homestead in the Kansas Flinthills; 3.5 acres with a well, old stone cellar, and house (which we disassembled for the materials), for $5000. Small properties are practically nonexistent in this area of large native-grass ranches. The only way we could buy it was to agree that the seller could buy it back for the original price if we ever decided to sell. He liked us, but didn't want to have neighbors he didn't like even though his place is over a mile away as the crow flies. The best part is the motto around here, "If you're big enough to do it, go ahead." We did all our own work with no need for inspections or permiting. I plan on dying here.

Tom

bugs
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 16:20

Martian

Do you find there are opportunities like yours to purchase farm yard sites from large farmers? We see quite a bit of that in our area of SK where the smaller farm is swallowed up by a megafarmer and they then subdivide the yard site off and sell it as a acreage for usually a much inflated price.

Martian
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 19:37

Bugs, that does happen on occassion, and you're right about the much inflated price. About the only time property sells around here is when somebody dies. There was a nice 26 acre plot with livable house, barns, and pens that sold at auction last year for $65K.

Kansas has some nice, remote areas that are great for someone who's looking to get away from the rat race. A lot of small towns will give you a building site and waive the taxes for awhile on a new home. Making a living can be problematic, but its doable. I was a yacht captain. Now, I'm a carpenter/cabinet maker/handyman. It works!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.