Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Ideas for lawn and landscaping
stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 07:12

I'm building my pole shed barn and cabin on the edge of a farm field. It's all dirt, well mud this time of year, and I started to think about what to plant around the buildings to make it more user friendly, control erosion, etc. I really hate the idea of grass and having to cut grass. A friend of mine planted straight clover, which does require cutting but not nearly as often as grass. I only need to cover a small area around the buildings and walkways/driveway. The rest of the area will remain farm crops.

-Brian

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 09:13

Have you considered some sort of mulch if it is not a big area like wood chips? I see in your picture there are lots of trees nearby, you could possibly rent a good sized wood chipper and quickly make some mulch and do clean up at the same time.
At my cabin I have an area in the front and a pathway from my parking area that was basically dirt and it would get slippery when it rained. There is a sawmill close to my cabin that had a big pile of sawdust. I pulled in and asked what he did with the sawdust and his immediate response was if you want it take it. So I grabbed a shovel and filled the pick up truck with it and spread it around at the cabin. I wanted it about 3-4 inches thick so it would last so I ended up getting about 3 truck loads. It looks great, packed down nicely and when it rains, the ground is not slippery or muddy. I plan to top it up this year. Now the area you have may be bigger then what I have to cover.
Just a thought to keep you from having to mow grass!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 09:33

I had the same problem as you. I did a ton of research. I found the native plants in my area that don't need to be watered and sorta take care of themselves.

What region/zone are you in?

Things we found very user friendly:
SUNNY AREAS
- Black Eyed Susans
- Butterfly Bush (purple haze)
- Maiden Grass (or any other native grasses)
- Cone flowers
- Daises
- Knockout Rose (will need trimmed once a year)
- Hydrangea Endless summer or Incrediball
- Coreopsis
- Mugo Pine
- Boxwood
- Cranberrybush
- Dwarf Blueberry bush, blackberry, strawberry
- Saint John's Wart

SUN/SHADE:
- Henry's Garnet Sweetspire
- Winterberry
- PJM Rhododendron
- Sweet Woodruff

SHADE:
- Solomon's Seal
- Azalea
- Spice Bush
- Yew
- Oakleaf Hydrangea
- Hosta (if no deer)
- Bleeding Heart

TREES:
- Autumn Brilliance Service Berry
- Dogwood
- Canadian Hemlock
- Red Maple woodland cross (fast growing)
- River birch (if you soil is right)
- Jack Frost Brunnera

razmichael
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 09:37

I'm a fan of clover as it can grow quickly even in lousy soil. White clover tends to grow outward and is a persistent grower while red grows more up and may need to be reseeded after 2-3 years. We used clover around our house many years ago due to the poor, clay soil with low pH. It took over nicely and after a few years enabled us to spread grass seed as well. At the cabin the only landscaping we have done yet since the build was spread clover around to grow in the clay, sand and mud around the construction zone. In one summer it filled in very nicely. It takes a beating well and we have not bothered to cut it. Another advantage to clover - very cheap.

There are a number of slow growing low maintenance grass mixtures available as more and more people want to reduce the time spent watering and cutting lawns.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 09:58 - Edited by: TheCabinCalls

Clover is good for the reasons stated and will actually put nutrients into the soil.

The bad part of clover is when it flowers it attracts bees and we had three people get stung wearing flip-flops.

There are other ground cover that grow quick, but you'll need to find out which aren't invasive for your area.

Also mulch is a good temporary solution and can be used around plantings. But try to find a tree trimmer in the area that will dump wood chips - they will most likely be free. That is what we do.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 10:57 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Gravel and flagstones might work. Weedblock fabric down first will delay weed growth, but eventually enough nutrients will mix in with gravel to allow some plant growth. An occasional used of a sprayer can help keep weeds down, not nearly as much work as mowing. Gravel is fairly cheap, and often flat rocks can be found in creekbeds (okay, I'm a scrounger...). Rock has the added benefit of forming a fire barrier around your property.

Rubber mulch is nice but expensive. It lasts a long time, doesn't encourage wood-eating bugs (not good near wood structure) and doesn't float away with downpours. It is generally dark stuff and will get quite warm in direct sunlight, and like rock without shade, can radiate heat to your cabin.

Some strategic shade trees would be a nice touch with either of the above.
Small section of gravel flagstone path
Small section of gravel flagstone path

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 3 Apr 2014 16:12

Thanks everyone. I'm in north east Ohio and my USDA plant hardiness zone is 5b.

-Brian

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.