Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Zoning issues in the country?
Rio_Grande
# Posted: 7 Sep 2010 04:02

We are looking at a 13 acer plot, I know not much but it is what I can afford. When the property was busted up in 02 the propertys were zoned as single faimly dwellings requiring 1300 sq ft home be built before any other constuction. In that amount of time 2 lots have had homes put on them. All the lots are 10+ acers. The property is in the middle of nowhere, rough and very odly laid out. Basicly 4 ridges and 3 creeks. looks like good hunting property and I can afford it. Problem is I would like to put in a small cabin, maybee 14x14 ish Just big enough for about 4 people to sleep and enjoy the outdoors on a limited basis.

The realator says he thinks he can get some relief on the restrictions to allow a removable building. That would probably make the deal for us. I dont want much, just a get away.

It is septic approved but I intend to use a composting toilet and a simple outdoor shower, grey water can be run into a dry well and leached out. Shower water can collect off the roof of the cabin and we will bring in our potable water. Add solar for the power and I think we would be thrilled, maybee a wood burner to keep the chill off.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? How did it work out?

Jeff

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 19:25

Jeff-

Check with your county.

In a lot of cases, a 200sf 'out building' is allowed.
I wouldn't call it a 'cabin', but a tea house or writer's shack, or maybe even call it a tool shed.

'Removable' is a term to adhere to.
Put your 'tea house' on skids.
Treated 4 x 6s on 2 x 12 x 12 blocks get's the job done.

However (comma)...it all depends on your neighbors, and their attitude toward your intentions. If the development is intended for residents along with HOAs and CCRs, then you're not going to be well received, nor will you be happy. In this case, keep looking.

Back in the 90s we built a tiny cabin just off a private lake. HOAs/CCRs and dues up the yang, but all cabins just the same. Everyone there tended to narc on each other, and after much committee scrutiny and bickering of our cabin, the little woman and I put out the FSBO sign.

Quoting: Rio_Grande
The realator says he thinks he can get some relief on the restrictions

Note: I don't hate all realtors (gotta be one out there I haven't drawn a bead on), but they are in it to close the deal. They tend to tell you what you want to hear........

Hope this helps you, Jeff.

Happy Trails

Gary O'

Rio_Grande
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 20:09

Thanks for the reply.

We had our offer accepted by the owner. The realitor advised almost exactly what you did, it basicly comes down to the neighbors. If they arent complaining then the county dosent get involved. Even then he advised they would not take enforcement action, it would be up to the other landowner to sue me for being outside of the orignal 02 restrictions. I dont see that happening. Where I plan to put the "moveable" building wont be seen from any other property unless they are trespassing. But in my opinion good neighbors are welcome to be there,, bad ones,,, not so much.

We actually found the temporary buildings to be somewhat affordable with lofts pre built in. It dosent look like a cabin and wont last as long, but for what I am looking for I think it would be fine.

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 22:56

enjoy

Rio_Grande
# Posted: 3 Oct 2010 15:36

A follow up to this, I may have found a building inspector that aint all bad. When I spoke to him he even recomended the "removable Buildings from Lowes" I mentioned that they have a moveable building that is 30x30 his reply was "it is moveable right?" I like this guy...

Wont last long but for now we are on good terms. :)

We have had severe zoning issues in the past in our current county. After alot of board meetings and some minimal attorney fees I finally did it the old fassioned way and got me some political influence. Total took about 13 years and well over 40,000.00 to straighten out,,, I will not do that again,,,,,, OK I am fibbing,, I would do it all again... Only way I could stay in business.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 14:56

Build it as a storage unit. Certainly they would allow storage before a home. Stupid restrictions. I hate it when others dictate what you must do. Slows down sales of the land in a time when sales are slow now. Many might want a small cabin, and never a home (recreation property) and that would be enough to make me "pass"

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 15:33

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Certainly they would allow storage before a home.

Not necessarily. Some places want to see the septic first, then the home, then other things. May not make sense but there are places like that. Best solution is to not build there.

Rio_Grande
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 17:11

Spent half day cutting in a driveway yesterday. Amazing how much work u can get done when you have the right tools. Mustang MTL 20 made short work of the trees and started cutting in the drive flat. No more leaning out to get down from the truck.

Gravel is going to be a challenge. I can haul 4000 lb at a time but thata really dosent equal out to much.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 23:57 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: MtnDon
Not necessarily. Some places want to see the septic first, then the home, then other things. May not make sense but there are places like that. Best solution is to not build there.

Well, in my area, a cabin required a septic permit be submitted before a permit would be issued. But only if you have a well on your property. Otherwise, a privy permit is required before a permit is issued. The minimum sq footage issue is limiting it to a small sized home. I think cabin, I think under 1000 sq feet. But in reality,. a cabin ia anything that is occupied not more than 60 days a year.

Rio_Grande
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 11:15

We are going the removable building route. Althought we have septic approval we are just going to dig a pit style toilet and use wood shavings as a composting catalyst.

Using solar for the small amount of power we will need and carrying water in.

I would be supprised if that building is occupied 30 days a year.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.