Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Mold in shed
Klicky1
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 12:08

Hi,

I built a new 10x12 shed last year and soon after it was completed there was fuzzy, greenish, now black mold on the rafters. Not sure it's the bad black mold. Some said if you buy lumber, which I did, from big box stores, it's already damp and that could be the problem.

The eaves are open so I don't understand how lack of airflow could contribute. There are no vents up high though in gable ends or roof, but do I need that in such a small, open place? I do leave the one window cracked. I don't think it's spreading, but it's even outside, under the eaves on the roof sheathing. A friend said I need to paint it, even inside. Any advice on this? Would KILZ be the product of choice? I did spray it with a concoction of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and boric acid I think it was. Found this on the web as post said bleach only kills the surface, peroxide or vinegar helps draw into the wood more.

Thanks.

spelk1
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 12:53

The only way to truly get rid of mold is to remove the cause of it. To me it sounds like a ventilation issue. Even though the eaves are open, the air is not flowing along the rafters out the top of the roof as there is no vent there. Rather the air flow will be flowing from eave to eave or through the open window.

Klicky1
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 13:03

Do you think 2 gable vents in each end would do or does it need to be in the ridge? I hoped the guys who did the roof left a gap before putting the tar paper and metal roofing on, but maybe they did not.

Gary O
# Posted: 9 Oct 2010 00:09

Sounds like rain country.
Spelk1 is quite correct.
Gable vents minimum.
However, you too, Klicky, are correct in thinking it's such a small place that just a bit of ventilation should help, but cabin design is key in that vein of thought.
Do you have photos?

Another consideration might be in the materials;

Quoting: Klicky1
soon after it was completed there was fuzzy, greenish, now black mold on the rafters

If you didn't buy KD, then there may lie the problem.

My first thoughts would be gable vents, and heaters to dry that wood out. Then bleach. Then towards the end of a dry spell, I'd put a finish on the exposed wood.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 20:59

Sounds liek you have too much temp variationa nd not enough moving air. Both will get you mold. I build a 12X16 toolshed and in the summer, was warm outside, cool inside and everything metal would have beads of sweat on it. I put in a 12" X 12" vent on each gable end, problem GONE!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.