Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / list of to do's at the property.
cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 07:11

1-try to get in shape to be less feeble-er!walk more.heck! walk some.how do i expect to be ready to build when i sit and watch the grandkids and crochet all the time.i wont be ready to build in the spring at our woods.also stay away from the resturants.good money going down the drain.eat woods foods.Oatmeal,beans and rice and fruit n veggies.not tacobell.
2-when we have been cleaning off the land which has been 11 yrs now.i gather wood from the ground.There is tons of it down.i gather a pile and stack up for the burning time,only we hardly ever get there to burn when the time is right.Alot of times hubby tells me this or that pile needs to be moved.Now i am not so eager to move one pile to another area.now i just want to tarp it and set it on fire one day.maybe i need to keep the piles in openings where its not near trees.then i would not have to move it so much.now we are getting this much more property and we wil have 2 old camp over campers to tear down and burn and a trailer with a built on room to tear apart and lots more land to clear off...of which we are still hand clearing the other land.
3-i will have to go thru and cut down these strange plants that grow in our drive there but now we will have a circle drive and we will have to go thru and clear that area and cut down all these weird plant that seems to crop up and multiple everywhere.u pull it up and the roots tunnel all thru the ground.grr.our neighbor Mel told us to just keep attacking them and eventually they go away.
4-come spring we are building our new place.so we will be clearing off another spot.
5-i think the new land has a well but if not...one day very soon we will be digging our well.
6-we have the big meadow.it is probably one acre of meadow.that will be our garden one day.we have to have a load of soil brought in.our good buddy Mel did and i think someone tricked him.He paid 700$ and his new dirt looks like the old.The soil there is pumice.so we will have a garden there but have to haul in good dirt.
we will have to have clear out the grass out there but after hauling tons of logs and all the woods-it will be easy.we have to build a green house.and keep all the varmits out of the garden once in.
7-root crops are the one thing for sure that grows good in that neck of the woods-i want to grow jerusalem artichokes so and always have wanted to grow them.have to find out if it is just to cold there.
8-will have to get a stove with enough fire under it for canning .
9-so there is alot to do and alot to look forward too.the big guy told me of a good thing i did not know.he told me this last weekend.it is that we will be spending a week or two up there this coming summer.be still my heart!
so do u all sort of have a to do list in your mind? of things u need to do before u move out to your dream place?

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 09:42

hey Cabi
I don't see any naps on our list............

islandguy
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 12:30

I have the inevitable "honeydew" list. (honey, do this, honey do that...) It seems the more I cross off the damn thing, the more stuff gets added. The list is growing faster than I can cross stuff off...how is this possible?
Really, i have my list seperated into small, medium and large jobs, with installing our living room ceiling the last remaining large job, and lots of little jobs, such as a lock on the bathroom door, an attic doorway, ect.
The list is, like death and taxes, permanent, ever expanding, and sometimes, like Gary, the best way to handle the list is to just toss it away, and go have a beer. The list will be back. The list ALWAYS comes back....

hattie
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 12:55

Hi Cabingal3....I have some suggestions....You mention canning - we use our propane barbecue with a side burner to do our canning. Keeps the heat and humidity out of the house. There is another plus to canning. You mention you have some strange weeds growing in your drive you can't get rid of. We discovered (quite accidentally because I didn't want to dump all that boiling canning water down the drain in case it affected our septic), that after your canning, if you take the big pot of boiling water (wear really good gloves) and dump it on places where the weeds are growing, it will kill 'em good. *S*.....We have a gravel drive and hubby was using Roundup weed killer, but the boiling water method works just as good, you are using water you have already boiled and it isn't toxic!

A great way to condition soil is using a composter. It will be a year or so before you have anything that you can use, but just keep throwing garden waste, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags, ripped up newspapers, leaves into a composter (its a great way to get rid of your garbage - but NOT meat, bones or plastic). People say it will attract bears, but we have bears here and they just walk right past our black composters without so much as a sniff at them. The soil you get from a composter is black gold. It is amazing what a difference it makes growing plants in it. We use it in our greenhouse and have experimented with store bought soil and straight compost. The plants growing in the compost are huge compared to the store bought soil! We have two composters. One is active (we add to it regularly), the other is "cooking" (it has already been filled and we are leaving it for a year to break down). This system seems to work well for us.

Are you SURE you want to grow jerusalem artichokes? Many places consider them a nuisance weed, so be careful. Also I found this quote: Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:

"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

Here is a website about them: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-1-a.html

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 13:17

- finish paint/trim, insulation and stairs at first shed
- finish fencing 80 acres to keep the cows out
- build second shed (mine)
- move first outhouse up the mtn. and install
- build/install second outhouse at second shed
- build first cabin shell
- cold drink followed by nap (Thanks Gary!)

We have three building sites. Each will get a shed first, composting outhouse second and then a cabin. This is the to-do list for next year. Makes me tired just looking at it.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 14:29

gar -haul a board-hammer it on-nap!
pick up wood and pile it-Nap!
eat-nap!
sleep-nap!
talk and drink coffee-nap! lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 14:30 - Edited by: cabingal3

hey.thats not his honey do list...thats mine for me
i dont just sit .hee hee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 14:35

from hattie to cabingal3

Hi Cabingal3....I have some suggestions....You mention canning - we use our propane barbecue with a side burner to do our canningcool idea.thanks Hattie Keeps the heat and humidity out of the house. There is another plus to canning. You mention you have some strange weeds growing in your drive you can't get rid of. We discovered (quite accidentally because I didn't want to dump all that boiling canning water down the drain in case it affected our septic), that after your canning, if you take the big pot of boiling water (wear really good gloves) and dump it on places where the weeds are growing, it will kill 'em good. thumbs up to this gal.thanks for this so much*S*.....We have a gravel drive and hubby was using Roundup weed killer, but the boiling water method works just as good, you are using water you have already boiled and it isn't toxic!i like this for sure.i hate roundup

A great way to condition soil is using a composter. It will be a year or so before you have anything that you can use, but just keep throwing garden waste, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags, ripped up newspapers, leaves into a composter (its a great way to get rid of your garbage - but NOT meat, bones or plastic). when we are out there we can do thisPeople say it will attract bears, but we have bears here and they just walk right past our black composters without so much as a sniff at them.we have a composter.yeah.good idea.forgot about composting.thanks hattie The soil you get from a composter is black gold. It is amazing what a difference it makes growing plants in it. We use it in our greenhouse and have experimented with store bought soil and straight compost. The plants growing in the compost are huge compared to the store bought soil! We have two composters. One is active (we add to it regularly), the other is "cooking" (it has already been filled and we are leaving it for a year to break down). This system seems to work well for us.

Are you SURE you want to grow jerusalem artichokes?all my life.now maybe i do not.snicker.thanks Hattie. Many places consider them a nuisance weed, so be careful. Also I found this quote: Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:

"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 16:40

well i did look up sunchokes.it says it can give people gas.well we have gas anyway.lol
but it grows two to 5 pounds for every plant.well i guess i would like to try.if i could find some in a store somewhere i could test them out.trying to get a way to grow food that is according to some pretty tuff weather there will be a fun challenge.I will talk to one of our neighbors cause they have like a garden of eden out there.so theres another fun project to look into .i love all the root crops.turnips and rutabaga's and beets and such.so i will have alot of canning and drying.probably drying is a good option for up that way with the wind and all the sunlite.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 20:34

Quoting: islandguy
The list is growing faster than I can cross stuff off...how is this possible?

It just is.

Actually, cabi just showed a wee bit of the things we have planned.
Trouble with me, I'm a type A, and press myself beyond reasonable capability. The daunting things are the ones that must be done right away, due to weather, once started. Everything else, in due time, right islandguy?
Careful planning will be needed once me and the little woman commence this next build. But we've proven to oursleves that we still can. We're quite a team; as I'm bulling my way thru, the wife (risking a tirade of air tainting verbiage) offers suggestions, of which usually saves my back, our money, and our project. We don't work as hard as we used to, but we laugh harder.
This winter we are setting goals for physical improvement, as my days of working into shape are long gone.

The attached excerpt of my journal is a prime example
excerpt.JPG
excerpt.JPG

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 20:58

its a wonder we did not die with getting hit in the head when those 14 foot boards fell our way.angels were watching over us i think.they knew we are two old boogers trying all kinds stuff.hee hee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Nov 2010 22:50

MikeonBike-thats quite the list u have. good luck.i guess it maybe its not good to write the to do list down.seems overwhelming...but it is so fun to get a homey retirement place ready to move onto one day.a way to live pretty cheap in the retirement years.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 12 Nov 2010 23:17

Quoting: cabingal3
MikeonBike-thats quite the list u have.

Yeah, your right, I probably shouldn't write it down. It's a lot easy to deal with in my head where I can trivialize each item.

I will probably have to cross one of the outhouses off the list. I also think we will throw some money at the fencing effort and hire some young muscle to help.

This first cabin is for my mother. We are trying to get her to retire. She is still running her store at 72 and the hours are really wearing on her.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Nov 2010 21:27

getting more and more excited to get going and doing out on our land.
wish we lived closer better yet on it cause then we would already be home.i think of so many things to do out there.i could never be bored.
cannt wait till roads clear and we can get at it.

Rob_O
# Posted: 16 Nov 2010 20:18

Quoting: cabingal3
so do u all sort of have a to do list in your mind? of things u need to do before u move out to your dream place?

My list is long so I'm hitting it a bit at a time as I can afford it. Near the top of the list are...

Level out trailer parking area
Gravel on the driveway
Grass seed on the dirt
Water tank or barrels
Outhouse shed (Humanure buckets) and compost enclosure
T-amp and decent speakers for tunes
More electrical power (urrr, urrr)
Wire spool (table) and some more chairs
Small 3-sided cooking/storage shed
Deer resistant garden enclosure
Save money for cabin
Build Cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.