Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Pocosin as a cabin site?
Scott_T
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 15:20

I am considering purchasing land for a small cabin in the coastal plain region of NC and wonder if anyone has experience/concerns/advice about building on pocosin topography around Albemarle or Pamlico Sounds?

Pocosin is a term for a type of palustrine wetland with deep, acidic, sandy, peat soils. Groundwater saturates the soil except during brief seasonal dry spells and during prolonged droughts. --Wikipedia

The area is appealing for many reasons not the least of which is the diversity of wildlife, proximity to water and tranquility of the rural NC setting. However building a cabin in or near a swamp is likely to have some serious challenges. Opinions welcome!

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 15:56

Pontoons!

Ok, no I don't have any experience but it seems like a house that would 'float' on the bog might work. Alternately if you can sink some sort of piling to solid ground. What is the local wisdom?

I was born in Virginia. When I was a kid we used to loop down through that area on our way to visit cousins in Charlotte. Very beautiful country.

Scott_T
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 18:28

I thought of that as an option and indeed there are some (albeit illegal) cabins literally floating in swamps amidst some beautiful bald cypress groves.

The site I'm interested in (~20 acres) has a small area that seems to be "solid" enough to put a cabin on stilts as the owner is claiming there is perc site which suggests it may be suitable for habitation (but probably with many conditions!). Thanks for the input...will share if this develops further.

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 19:07

I don't mean to be glib, but what about hurricanes?

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 21:53

Yes hurricanes would be problem!

Scott_T
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 09:55

I recently acquired the 20 acre swamp (pocosin). I was undeterred by the prospect of hurricanes, flooding, mosquito swarms or venomous snakes. Time will tell if I will be able to do much with it. My plan is to reforest the really wet area (which is about 70%) with mostly bald cypress. There is about 2 acres that appear to be suitable for a small cabin (on far left side where pine is). There are a lot of regulations to be mindful of in wetland areas (as I am learning). I meet with a Corps engineer next month to determine what freedom I have to do certain things. Most people think I was nuts investing in swamp land but I feel pretty darn good about it from a conservation standpoint. Over 70% of NC wetlands have been eliminated over the last 60 years and yet they have a huge ecological value. The area I am located (Albemarle Sound) has some great paddle trails and bird sanctuaries. Hey Bugs you would love it for the critters. BTW my wife(y) ;-) is an entomologist too (and both of us former Canucks)....but snakes scare her...

Cheers!
NC wetland
NC wetland

Rob_O
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 10:52

Hello Scott, congratulations on the purchase. My mother lives in Richmond VA and we've been vacationing on the outer banks since before it was fashionable

If you don't mine me asking, what county are you in and how much did 20 acres of swamp set you back?

Scott_T
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 11:03

Rob - it is in Tyrrell county and I paid $15K.

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 16:23

Scott_T,

Congratulations on your purchase! You have bought for all the best reasons. I am familiar with the Outer Banks of NC, having stayed in the Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo area before. This is indeed a special place along the east coast. I love it! Good luck.

Scott_T
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 17:20

Thanks !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.