Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Legal issues regarding tiny houses
SantanaWoods
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 00:55

Howdy
I am sure many of you have heard about these tiny houses which are a hot topic right now. I wonder if you guys know what are the legalities of building one in your region. No matter where you are, if you know anything about it please share. I myself live in Quebec Canada and in city zones it is not possible to park one in one's backyard as far as I have found out so far.

thanks in advance

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 08:43

I know lots of areas require a minimum square footage, but these are becoming more popular, they are definitely green. If someone has an area to sleep, cook, bath and meet sanitation needs, I dont see why he/she needs so much square footage if they dont want it. Smaller footprint, less resources used to make it, less used to reside in it ie heating and cooling cost. I'm no greenie at all, but see no issue with someone who doesn't want a huge mortgage and wants a smaller footprint. I understand the flip side too, don't want what looks like a shanty town. But if its build nice and doesn't look like a shack...

There is a trend and its moving that direction and its "green" so its probably just a matter of time rules will change and favor smaller homes.

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 10:25

I understand the flip side too, don't want what looks like a shanty town. But if its build nice and doesn't look like a shack...

Funny thing is that there are a few full sized homes in my suburban neighbourhood that look absolutely horrible.

SantanaWoods
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 11:41

If by green you mean sustainable or better for environment believe me there is nothing green about tiny houses I have seen on internet except that they have composting toilets instead of flush toilet (and some recycle material to save on cost)
They use the same material and construction procedure in fact due to lack of insulation they are consuming a lot more energy to heat or cool per sqr ft. The word green is often so mis-used that people have gradually forgotten what the criteria for it are.

My question more specifically is : does your municipality allow a tiny home parked either on land or backyard?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 12:10

I watch all these TV shows where they spend $50K plus and build these tiny houses. Seems to me an RV is better figured out than any of these. I also don't see how any of these is road worthy to be towed and would pass any DOT requirement.

The term composting toilet they way they use it always makes me laugh. Do you really think a couple of people using a toilet for weeks will compost faster than additions.

Last, the limited storage space in these pretty much requires you to live on two pairs of clothes. The other way I see any of these tiny houses working is if you are in the backyard of a bigger house you have access to.

NorthRick
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 13:40

Quoting: SantanaWoods
My question more specifically is : does your municipality allow a tiny home parked either on land or backyard?

No. I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. Other parts of the state are more of an almost anything goes situation.

The city is, however, currently reviewing the zoning laws to possibly allow this. There's the usual push back from people who don't want their neighbors doing this to developers who see it as a threat to their business.

Princelake
# Posted: 16 Oct 2018 10:18

Might as well just move into a trailer park.
Buy up some property put in septic and water start your own "tiny house park"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.