Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Class II Wetlands
sabiggs
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 21:11

Hi everyone:

Could anyone give me an easy-to-understand rundown of what my class II wetlands classification means on my 10 acre property in terms of future build potential?

My brother and I are hoping to build a cabin on the land this summer. No septic, water, electric, etc. Based on our proposed site, it's no closer than about 150ft. from the closest property line. We're in VT by the way.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 07:26

Isolated Wetland – Definitions, Classes, and Exemptions.
As per 327 IAC 17-1-3, the following are definitions of the three classes of isolated wetlands.
"Class I wetland" means an isolated wetland described by one (1) or both of the following:
(A) At least fifty percent (50%) of the wetland has been disturbed or affected by human activity or development by one (1) or more of the following:
(i) Removal or replacement of the natural vegetation.
(ii) Modification of the natural hydrology.
(B) The wetland supports only minimal wildlife or aquatic habitat or hydrologic function because the wetland does not provide critical habitat for threatened or endangered species listed in accordance with the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.) and the wetland is characterized by at least one (1) of the following:
(i) The wetland is typified by low species diversity.
(ii) The wetland contains greater than fifty percent (50%) areal coverage of nonnative invasive species of vegetation.
(iii) The wetland does not support significant wildlife or aquatic habitat.
(iv) The wetland does not possess significant hydrologic function.
"Class II wetland" means either of the following:
(A) An isolated wetland that is not a Class I or Class III wetland.
(B) A type of wetland listed in subdivision (3)(B) that would meet the definition of Class I wetland if the wetland were not a rare or ecologically important type.
"Class III wetland" means an isolated wetland:
(A) that:
(i) is located in a setting undisturbed or minimally disturbed by human activity or development; and
(ii) supports more than minimal wildlife or aquatic habitat or hydrologic function; or
(B) unless classified as a Class II wetland under subdivision (2)(B), that is of one (1) of the following rare and ecologically important types:
Waterways Permitting Manual – Monday, February 27, 2006 1

sabiggs
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 07:51

Hi turkeyhunter. I have seen all the write-ups online as well but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the post.

However, I'm looking for more basic terms of how it will affect me (if at all) getting permits to build a small cabin. Will it affect me? If so, how?

sabiggs
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 13:03

OK, so it turns out my land is not on class II wetlands, but instead, "deer wintering" area. I was a bit surprised about the wetlands, so I'm not shocked I was wrong. Thanks for the help.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 17:11

Quoting: sabiggs
"deer wintering" area

sounds like a great place to HUNT!!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.