Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Vermont Cabin Project
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
sabiggs
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 11:41 - Edited by: sabiggs

Hi all. Been following for a while. Have started a project with my brother and wanted to join in the posting and sharing fun. It's a highlight of my day signing on and seeing everyone's amazing work and passion for their own project--I can very much relate.

Last October, my brother and I bought 10 acres in Southern Vermont. We're just undertaking our cabin build-a 20X24 foot cabin set on 16 10'' piers. Since then, we've been doing some site work to get things ready for this summer's build and as of now we're just dying to get it started. We spent the winter months planning and doing some tree clearing. As of now, we've created walking trails around and across the land, done some water re-direction, planted some blueberry bushes, and had some trees removed. Our next step is pouring the concrete for the piers.

Last weekend was our first overnight and it was just amazing. We set up the tent where the cabin will be. We had a massive bonfire and got rid of some of our brush from the winter and just enjoyed the land. Getting away is just amazing and the 2 hour 15 minute drive is well worth it!

I'll do my best to keep this thread up-to-date and loaded with pictures. We're also keeping a blog. Feel free to check it out.

www.halifaxcabin.blogspot.com

Our goal is to finish the shell by the end of summer. We plan to go up just about every other weekend in hopes of getting it done. Hopefully the weather cooperates with us. It has already been such an amazing ride, I can't wait to see what the future hold for us. Thanks everyone. Be well.
Steve
Looking at the Cabin Site
Looking at the Cabin Site
Looking at Cabin Site from Behind
Looking at Cabin Site from Behind
View from Front "look-Out" Spot
View from Front "look-Out" Spot

mag162
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 12:35

Looks great so far!!

sabiggs
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 13:23

Here's a "before" and "after" picture of the proposed building site. These pictures are basically taken from the same spot--behind the cabin site. It's pretty cool for me to see the progress and changes.
"Before" treework and grading
"Before" treework and grading
"After" treework and grading
"After" treework and grading

naturelover66
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 14:33

Beautiful spot !!! I cant wait to see your progress .
Lisa

hattie
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 21:43

sabiggs: Looks like you are coming along great....
That is one cute little totem. Do you know where it came from?

sabiggs
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 21:49

Hey Hattie:

Thanks very much. Actually, the totem is from the land across the street. It's a perfect "landmark" for us since our driveway is directly across the street from it.

The best part of the totem pole, which I'm not sure you can see from the picture, is that it also says "Welcome Friends". Nice.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 22:25

nice looking property...........

neb
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 20:15

Great looking land you have there. Keep us posted on the cabin?

sabiggs
# Posted: 12 Jun 2011 20:46 - Edited by: sabiggs

Just got back from a day trip to the site. We had hopes of augering the holes for the foundation, but quickly realized we need to take more trees out first to give ourself a bigger space and be safe for falling limbs. It was frustrating to not get done what we wanted, but in the end, this is the better and smarter route to take.

We did dig a few practice holes and also picked some wildflowers from the meadow across the street. The soil couldn't be better--sand and clay. We also ate a whole lot of Cape Cod BBQ chips. Damn those things are addictive.

Next weekend, my wife, daughter and I are going up to meet with the guy who will take these trees down for us and camp out for a night. The following weekend is now the plan for augering and concrete.
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG
Wildflowers in the Lookout Spot
Wildflowers in the Lookout Spot

sabiggs
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:29 - Edited by: sabiggs

So, we just got back from a 4 days trip to Vermont. It has been very rainy here this spring, so we have been slowed. We hoped to dig the pier holes and do concrete this weekend but it was just so wet. Our last two days were gorgeous though and it was just amazing being there for such nice weather.

Instead of the concrete, we focused on other areas of the project. We cleared the lookout spot and it looks great. We also had more trees taken down so the area where the cabin will be is now larger. It looks great. We're going to have some more water re-direction done within the next one-two weeks before we try for the pier holes and concrete. We also built a small woodshed and split about 2 cords of wood for the future.

Even though the concrete didn't get done, the vision is still clear in our minds. This project has been so much fun and we can't wait to get back.

Steve
New Cleared Land and Cabin Outline
New Cleared Land and Cabin Outline
Lookout Spot
Lookout Spot
Down the driveway at dusk
Down the driveway at dusk

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 06:58

Quoting: sabiggs
We cleared the lookout spot and it looks great.

like the chairs. torches and cooler, what more could a man ask for :-)

cabin spot looks nice too.

we need rain so bad here in the south.

what kind of VIEW from the lookout spot????

sabiggs
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:38

Hey turkeyhunter. There's a picture of the view from the "lookout" in the very first post.

dvgchef
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 09:52

Looking great - keep up the good work!

sabiggs
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 16:28 - Edited by: sabiggs

So here's an updated pictorial on the building site. The three pictures are in three separate phases (pre-clearing, first clearing, current clearing). All three pictures are taken from just about the same vantage point for perspective.

We were originally a little worried about the cabin being a little too close to some big pines and falling limbs were a concern. We've got some breathing room now. 2 weeks until concrete.
Pre-Clearing
Pre-Clearing
1st Clearing
1st Clearing
Current Clearing
Current Clearing

sabiggs
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 08:43 - Edited by: sabiggs

Well, we've come to a new decision and direction with the cabin build. We're going to postpone until 2012. It's frustrating, but it's the right thing to do. The weather has just not cooperated with us this year and we just haven't had the chance to get a concrete truck up to the site.

Instead, we'll continue to spend the summer doing other projects....building an outhouse, burning pile after pile of downed brush, and maybe even make a 10x12 shed.

The hope is that by snowfall we have the concrete work done for the cabin. That way, we can start the actual build early next spring and don't have to wait on the concrete.

That said, this past weekend was a New England gem. We spent Saturday night at the site, did some odd jobs, burned a few piles, and mainly relaxed. We even took the boat on the local reservoir. It was gorgeous. We even saw a bald eagle. My first ever. We also realized we have hundreds of wild raspberry bushes growing on our property. Almost ripe.

We'll continue to go up every 2 weeks and I'll continue the updates, but a grand cabin may not be happening just yet. Our dream will wait just a few more months....but won't that make it that much sweeter?

check out the blog at: halifaxcabin.blogspot.com

sabiggs
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 08:49 - Edited by: sabiggs

Pictures from the weekend.
Looking up to the site
Looking up to the site
Small brush fire
Small brush fire
Raspberries
Raspberries

BlaineHill
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 22:45

sabiggs,
The real beauty is in the land anyway. Thanks for posting "Looking up to the site". That is an amazing place.

sabiggs
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 18:02 - Edited by: sabiggs

Just returned from a VERY successful day in VT. It was an abbreviated trip to meet our tree guy for a day or work with the heavy machinery. We got several small projects done, including: a trench for water re-direction that surrounds the building site, the side yard was cleaned and leveled, culvert installation for water re-direction in another area further up the driveway, extended driveway installation and more small tree removal, the "firepit" area was expanded, graded, and cleared, and the future shed spot was cleared, leveled, and opened up nicely.

The trench that was dug around the building site is intended to take most water run-off from the hill and redirect it around the cabin so the trench that was dug is about 100-150 ft. above the building site and probably runs about 250 ft from one end to the other. It should almost completely remove water from the building site and move it to other "safe" areas on the land. There was already signs of water in the tench before we left so it seemed to work immediately.

A side yard has been created to the right of the building site. It is a great space that was kind of created accidentally but we're developing it to use as a driveway, barbeque/ picnic area, recreation space.

Two culverts were installed. One new one at the road/ entry, and the older one from the entry was moved to a needed spot up the driveway that was previously just trenched. There was a big discussion as to whether or not we should use it because it's pretty decrepit, but we finally decided to use it and in the end, we were glad we did. It looks so much better than just a big trench dug across the driveway.

The driveway now extends about 200 feet uphill to a newly created shed site. Stumps were removed and the driveway was graded leading up to the shed site. We took a few trees down near the shed site and it really opened things up so it's not only going to give us space for the shed, but also another small open area in the middle of the woods. Pretty cool.

Lastly, the "firepit" area was cleared, expanded, and graded. That is also a great new usable open space. We can use it for parking, bonfires, playspace, and just general enjoyment...as long as we can keep the ferns under control.

The raspberries were in full effect as we were able to pick handfuls at a time and it seems that in about another week or two, they'll be in full bloom.

Next time up we're going to focus once again on the concrete piers. We're hoping this stretch of hot and dry weather will hold, so the pier-digging will be easier and the concrete truck can make it to the site.

More pictures and stories posted on the blog:
www.halifaxcabin.blogspot.com
Sideyard looking to the site
Sideyard looking to the site
New Shed Site
New Shed Site
Culvert Installation
Culvert Installation
Driveway Extension
Driveway Extension

sabiggs
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 09:52

Here's a few more pictures from the weekend.
Transporting an old culvert
Transporting an old culvert
"Firepit" area
"Firepit" area
View of trench (right side)
View of trench (right side)
Standing where shed will be
Standing where shed will be

sabiggs
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 18:58

Just returned from a long awaited trip to the land. We moved 10 yards of wood chips and about 4 yards of crushed stone. We also set up a huge bonfire for next weekend and did trail maintenance. Lastly, we set up a rope barrier across the driveway.

The chips were sorted on the "landing" area and the "lookout spot", which is now complete. The crushed stone finished the driveway.

We're having a huge end of the summer bash next weekend with about 40 people there so it should be fun. Then, we start the shed.

for more pictures and info, check out our blog:
http://halifaxcabin.blogspot.com
Landing looking toward the driveway- wood chips done!
Landing looking toward the driveway- wood chips done!
Looking down driveway with the stone done
Looking down driveway with the stone done
View from top of road
View from top of road
Finished Lookout spot
Finished Lookout spot

hattie
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 19:10

Looks like you are making great progress!! Keep the photos coming!

sabiggs
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 19:35

Here's a few more pictures from this weekend.
Wild blackberries
Wild blackberries
Bonfire Pile
Bonfire Pile
Looking Up driveway
Looking Up driveway
Landing at the top of driveway
Landing at the top of driveway

Montanan
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 11:42

Lookin' good! The party sounds like great fun.

sabiggs
# Posted: 3 Sep 2011 12:08

Well, we're heading up to Southern VT tomorrow to assess the damage to our site after Irene. We're in the worst section of damage in New England, though I think our actual land will be OK. The worst I'm imagining is the culverts may have been washed away and there may be a lot of downed trees. Just getting there will be rough as the last 10 miles of highway we usually take is now closed. In addition, several roads along the way have been closed or simply no longer exist.

Just 1 town over, there has been devastation. A whole town nearly wiped out, streams turned into rivers and re-directed where the road used to be. I've been reading that a major throughway in southern VT has been closed indefinitely, leaving people with literally no way in or out. I ate at a breakfast place last Friday and then by Sunday afternoon it was basically gone. Very sad.

We're actually bringing up some supplies to help with recovery. I'm bringing my camera so I'll try to share what I see.

For those of you who live where the news hasn't given coverage to this event, you should research Windham County in Southern Vermont, specifically the towns of Brattleboro, Wilmington and Marlboro. There's many ways to help, even from far away. The Reformer, the local newspaper, is a good resource with lots of good stories, both very sad and also heart-warming.

sabiggs
# Posted: 4 Sep 2011 19:14 - Edited by: sabiggs

So, we just got back from a day in Southern VT. The damage up there is extensive and also isolated and we were lucky to come away pretty lucky. Some downed power lines, but no downed trees. The worst of it was that water had eroded part of the driveway culvert and also part of the driveway. That can be fixed though, so all-in-all, not so bad.

We drove to Wilmington and were able to see the damage firsthand. It's real and crazy to think about what it must have been like. Every building was damaged, many boarded up, others practically gone. But, people were working, generators were running (still no power) and hope seemed to be around. These are amazing people and an amazing community. I find great strength in their work.

Below are some images from the area.
Driveway erosion
Driveway erosion
Downtown Wilmington--Working on a Sunday
Downtown Wilmington--Working on a Sunday
More downtown Wilmington
More downtown Wilmington
Common
Common

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Sep 2011 20:45

Glad you did not have much damage.
Thank you for sharing pictures-Wilmington looks like a very quaint old town(even with the damage). I'm sure the community will be stronger than ever after working together to clean up.

bobrok
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 02:43

This entire region seems to have been affected depending upon topography. Southern VT & Eastern NY have been hit very hard. I know CT also has seen flooding and MA can't be too far behind. The low-lying and valley areas suffered a lot with the flooding; elevations and all areas with blowdown. Roads are still closed; towns are completely cut off; governors are making visits to affected areas and promising speedy help. I heard that NY has suspended APA building regulations in the Adirondacks in order to speed up road and property repair. NY governor Cuomo said that if Rte 73 into Lake Placid isn't open in 10 days (at least 1 lane) heads will roll. That is amazing. This is a hard hit to an already economically depressed region.

sabiggs
# Posted: 24 Sep 2011 20:34 - Edited by: sabiggs

Up for the day with my Dad, stepmother, and brother to start work on the 10x12 shed. We'll probably use the shed as a cabin as well for a year or two as we build the cabin. It will be nice to finally have a roof over our heads when this is done.

We got to the land and had already had some wood delivered so we got started framing right away while some of us dug the holes, leveled the stone and cement blocks and prepared the skids. The weather held out, but of course, it has been rainy here for about a week. This rain has been a problem all year....what a wet year it has been here.

The leaves are starting to turn. We have some beautiful red leaves and I can't wait to see them next weekend when we go back up. The plan is to frame the walls, barn doors, and steel door.

The damage from Hurricane Irene is still extensive and the repairs are ongoing. Roads are being rebuilt and I think they're working 7 days a week to get things done before the first snowfall.
Shed Site
Shed Site
Framed Floor
Framed Floor
Cement Blocks and Skids
Cement Blocks and Skids
Leaves starting to turn across the way
Leaves starting to turn across the way

sabiggs
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 18:01 - Edited by: sabiggs

So, for those of you who have been following my posts here or our blog, you know that we had to delay building of the cabin due to weather. But we have decided to do the shed this fall before snowfall. This weekend we took a few steps forward in construction. But, like it seems to always be the case, it was raining. Ughhh, I'm tired of the rain.

We got the rigid insulation in and spray foamed all the cracks. Floor was finished, and then all four walls were framed and put up. We'll get the plywood up on the walls next and the barn doors and also the steel entry door on the side.

Things were very wet up there and we were ankle deep in mud a few times. This has been of of Vermont's rainiest years ever. There were a few times it was pouring on us while we worked. Plus, last night while in the tent, we were dry but would hear the raining pounding all around us.

For now, we're happy with progress and it looks like there may only be one or two more nights in a tent before we can get into the shed for coverage and warmth.
Working on insulation
Working on insulation
Flooring done
Flooring done
First wall up
First wall up
Done for the Day.  We're soaked
Done for the Day. We're soaked

Montanan
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 15:59

Your story gives me flashbacks to our experience last spring. Rain, rain, and more rain! The mud was terrible. It looks like you made good progress, though. You'll be so happy to get inside the "wooden tent." What kind of roofing material will you use?

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.