Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Vermont Cabin Project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
sabiggs
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 18:19

Well, first weekend at the cabin with the family is in the books. And it was a great time (except from about 10-12 midnight Saturday night when my 2 year old daughter woke up and refused to go back to sleep).

We stopped at the Yankee Candle flagship store on the way up and that place was a blast. It's like the Disney World of candle stores. I've never seen so many candles in my life. We probably were just for close to an hour but you could probably spend almost the whole day there.

We got to the land and immediately, my daughter was having a blast in the cabin. It was close to 35 degrees when we arrived but within 30 minutes we had the wood stove going and it was pushing 70. My daughter likes to say it was "nice and toasty". We checked the trail cam and got our first action--a healthy looking fox that meandered his way across the line of sight some night. We went out, walked the property trails, did some sledding, then came back and had some hot chocolate. We made our way to the dinner place and had a great time.

By the time we got back, my wife and I just stayed up and played board games and cards, building the fire up so it would be hot before we went to bed. We must have done a pretty good job because we basically turned the cabin into a sweat lodge. It was mid-80's in there. Layers were coming off quickly. The stars were out in full affect and they were amazing! We even had a little passing snow shower. It was great!

It was pretty satisfying laying in bed with my family, in the cabin I helped build for just such occasions. It's moments like those that make remember how good life really is.
Looking up from the "Big Cabin" proposed Site
Looking up from the "Big Cabin" proposed Site
Looking out the Cabin Door
Looking out the Cabin Door
Looking down Our Street
Looking down Our Street
Snowshoes and Sled
Snowshoes and Sled

wactober
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:12

I've been looking at the two dog model pretty seriously for my 12x16.....is that what you are using? About how much do you have in the piping if I might ask? Also, does the door handle get real hot? Anything pro or con you could share would certainly help. Thanks.

sabiggs
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:19

Hey wactober.

Yes, that's the 2dog. We're very happy with it so far. It get plenty hot, without much work. In fact, so far, it has proven to have the potential to get too hot. The handle does get very hot, good call. Not sure what you mean about "how much we have in the piping?" If you mean cost, I think the cost for everything start to finish was between $500-$700, but that includes stove, piping roofing materials, etc. We've got it about 18 inches from the back wall and about 14 inches from the side wall. I've noticed it definitely get much hotter on the sides than the back. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions you've got.

It's very easy to use it as a "hot plate" sort of thing to put a fry pan on and cook.

wactober
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:57

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you very much. What kind of bricks do you have the stove on?

sabiggs
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 20:18

It's basically on 1/2 deep cobblestones. But, there's not much high heat under the stove. Or behind either. Like I said, most of the serious heat escape has come from the sides. Take a look at how we positioned the homemade cement/tile heat shield. The back one is more than adequate at the position it's in but the side one needs higher coverage because there's serious heat pushing out and up from the stove on the side.

wactober
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 20:48

Your observations about the heat splash are great. I've been thinking about placing whatever stove I end up getting perpindicular to one side wall about midway in the cabin. Won't have to worry about the sides, just the back. The two dog sounds like it just might be the cat's meow for my purposes.

Mr. Troll
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 22:03

Hi sabiggs we did the same thing ,built a little shed/ cabin to use while we built the so called big cabin.It was a lot better than tenting it .I feel the same way you do about having family at the cabin ,its all about the shared experiances and memory making.Your woodstove by the door is smart to cool off while you cook,that thing must roast you out like ours did .good luck with the (big cabin) ,enjoy the process (i should be better about too)and i look forward to seeing more pictures of your progress .

sabiggs
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 20:49

Back from a killer weekend in VT.

We were able to shiplap the entire ceiling and the underside of the loft. And we were able to build an outhouse today. Not bad for a weekend.

The shiplap went very smoothly (once we got back from the lumber yard). Our truck was overloaded with wood we thought it was going to spill all over the road. It got so bad that I had to ride in the bed of the truck for 30 minutes in 10 degree weather. But, we made it back safely and the ceiling looks great. Now the walls look horrible because the ceiling looks so good. Next time.

Today, we went back to the lumber yard and picked up a few things to build an outhouse. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing, but a man can only take so much pooping in the woods before enough is enough.

The weather was cold but beautiful and the stars there never cease to amaze me. Might be my favorite thing of the cabin.

More pictures and stories at:
www.blogspot.halifaxcabin.com
Finished Ceiling
Finished Ceiling
Ceiling and Underside of Loft
Ceiling and Underside of Loft
Testin' It Out.  So Far So Good
Testin' It Out. So Far So Good
Finished (or nearly) Outhouse
Finished (or nearly) Outhouse

neb
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 20:54

Looks good. Do you have the hole dug yet???

sabiggs
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 20:59 - Edited by: sabiggs

No hole yet Neb. For now, we may go the bucket route with bags and wood shavings. I'm cringing as I write this.

Hopefully, in a few months, once we get a thaw, we can dig.

Still, better than the alternative, right?

TomChum
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 21:59 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: sabiggs
It was pretty satisfying laying in bed with my family, in the cabin I helped build for just such occasions. It's moments like those that make remember how good life really is.

Mr Biggs you just said it all , or mostly all. A new outhouse is satisfying too.

Just
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 22:34

sabiggs
Your out house looks to be the same a mine, I'M thinking of adding a heat bulb just over the throne to make winter use much more plesant. heat bulbs produce radiant heat that will warm you instantly. i only have a small soler system but i think it may be worth it at - 10 c.let's see 250 watt bulb x 5 min. = happy wife ???

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 08:19

ceiling and outhouse look great---good job!!!!!!!

Max Patch
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 18:58

Hey Love the cabin. I am thinking about building either a 10 x 12 or a 12 by 16. Do you find that your 10 by 12 is big enough for weekend use or are you wishing it was just a little bigger? I like your idea on the small windows for security. I got some free large ones so I will probably just put some shutters on them. I am hoping to get my cabin in the dry for about $2,500. We will see. ---Elliott

sabiggs
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 20:30

Hey Max Patch,

Thanks for the comments. Of course I wish I had a bigger cabin....I wish it was huge!

But, 10x12 is fine for us (my bro and I). The loft is key though. Key. And the futon is key too as it serves as seating and a bed. Your financial number is very doable. I'd say we're around there ourselves.

Best of luck to you. It's a hell of a fun process. That's for sure. Enjoy every second. To this day I still think back (almost daily) about little moments I remember from the build with my brother. Moments that sucked at the time (building walls in the pouring rain for an entire day and then sleeping in a tent in the cold rain) are now moments I wish I could go back to and relive. Probably the most rewarding experience of my whole life, excluding building my amazing family.

It's not every day you can have a dream and then see that dream realized right in front of your own eyes, by the work of your own hands.
My Bro Standing Where the Cabin Now Is
My Bro Standing Where the Cabin Now Is
The Cabin, Where my Bro Stood 6 Months Ago in the Other Pic
The Cabin, Where my Bro Stood 6 Months Ago in the Other Pic

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 20:39

Moments that sucked at the time (building walls in the pouring rain for an entire day and then sleeping in a tent in the cold rain) are now moments I wish I could go back to and relive. Probably the most rewarding experience of my whole life, excluding building my amazing family.

Totally agree!!!!
It's not every day you can have a dream and then see that dream realized right in front of your own eyes, by the work of your own hands

Yes...it is sooooooooo true!!!!!!!!

sabiggs
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 13:47

We were able to cut the hole for the outhouse and add a toilet seat. We also picked up some bags and pine bedding. That's enough details you probably want to hear. We also caught a few pictures of a porcupine on our trail cam. I'll try to post those later. All we need to do is find some scrap metal roofing for the outhouse and we're done! We'll, until spring when the thaw hits and we dig the hole and remove the bucket.
Thinking Seat
Thinking Seat
The Throne
The Throne

Tim
# Posted: 8 Mar 2012 20:39

I am not sure that outhouse is going to work.................there is no moon cut in the door!

manny
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 09:14

No moon in the door

adakseabee
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 17:08

Based on experience, when you are getting ready to dig the hole for the outhouse consider locating it further away from your cabin than it is now. Use a little sawdust on the deposits to help keep the smell down. If you plan on drilling a well for potable water, the well should be no closer to the outhouse than 100 feet. My shabin is 135 feet from my outhouse, a little too far for nighttime walks, but at least we do not have to suffer any smell and those cheap landscape lights along the path provide sufficient light to avoid trip hazards.

sabiggs
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 17:13

Good advice adakseabee. That's our plan too. The outhouse isn't too heavy for the two of us so we plan to move it next time up....somewhere "downhill" from a proposed well site. And Tim and Manny, the moon in the door is still to come.

sabiggs
# Posted: 20 Mar 2012 13:25

Well, it's been just about 1 year to the day that we started "doing things" to our 10 acres in VT. I have to say, it has been a very productive 1 year, though at times it felt like we were running in place.

Mud season has come early in VT. Very early. The snow is almost completely gone and probably will be by this weekend with the temps hitting 70 here every day (have I mentioned before how RIDICULOUS this weather has been....we're breaking warmth records every day here in the northeast).

My wife is 5 months pregnant with our second daughter so I probably only have a few weekend trips left with my brother before he has to go it alone and I go on "hiatus". The plans are to finish the inside (both drywall and old barn boards), paint the outside and finish it, and then jack the cabin up to dig out piers (that one will be rough).

We were up last weekend and cut down a few trees and had a large bonfire, as we're slowly chipping away at the brush from the clearing we did last summer. Things are wet up there and very muddy. But, given the warm and dry weather we've had I'd say it will only be about another month before it's all systems go.

Get pumped.
The snow is Almost Gone
The snow is Almost Gone
Muddy, Muddy, Muddy
Muddy, Muddy, Muddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 20 Mar 2012 13:48 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Have you guys considered putting the pier foundation outside the perimeter of the existing cabin walls? Here's a thought, Measure out say about a foot or less on either side of the 10' width and dig your piers holes. Set the piers and concrete in the holes, jack up the cabin and run 2X12's (or larger) underneath the structure. Tie the 2X12's beams into the piers and at that point you'll set the cabin back down on the newly installed beams and then have an overhang that you could build a deck off of (more post hole digging anyone?) or just leave as is. I have to imagine that digging under a structure to install them would be a total PITA!?

Just my thoughts...

sabiggs
# Posted: 20 Mar 2012 14:03

Nice idea DaJTCHA. I like that idea a lot. I never thought of that, but that's very very interesting. Thanks for the comment.

I'll keep ya posted.

sabiggs
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 19:56

Anybody have an idea if this is the work of a buck or a bear? I have no idea but came across it this morning on a walk through the property. Pretty cool. Our land is labeled as a "deer wintering" area so who knows.

I do know that at my primary residence outside of Boston I have a tree where deer must rub their antlers and it does not look like this.

Thoughts?
Bear or Deer #1
Bear or Deer #1
Bear or Deer #2
Bear or Deer #2

jvgo
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 20:58

Looks like maybe a porcupine.

old buddy
# Posted: 31 Mar 2012 23:32

If a deer made it, it's the highest rub I've ever seen.

tbjohn
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 08:17

That is where a moose has eaten the bark.

sabiggs
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 08:26

Yep, I think you're right tbjohn. I just did a little research and it looks to be exactly that. Thanks and nice call. We have seen moose scat on the property before.

I'm glad we set the trail cam up right there. Hopefully we see another one.

larryh
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 09:15

I find your project very interesting and well done. I do have a thought or two. You might do some reading on the Sawdust Potty method of the Humanure Handbook. I long had pit privies and the idea of personally composting the waste didn't appeal much. However after fighting cold weather and bugs and the smell I decided to give it a try. I would never go back. The only thing you would need in addition to your set up is a Compost Pile (2 connected by a bin for cover material is nice). I have had mine operating for two years now, one temporary and the other semi permanent. No odor from the toilet and none from the compost. Its heating up nicely now and beginning to work. Eventually after another year or so you can simply spread it over the woods or use it for flower beds. Those who are confident that the temperatures have been hot enough to kill any possible germs have used it for vegetable gardens but I am not sure about that. I use peat moss after a poor result using wood chips which don't cover the odor well or compost well. I dampen the bucket of peat to make it reasonably dust free. (I have found two kinds of peat moss here, one is very fine and covers best, the other is more like patches of greens dried and while will work needs more of it to cover well. Emptying the bucket is a matter of turning it over and a few shakes, then pour some water over the sides and rinse a couple times..

The other thing I wonder about after long years of wood heat, is the heat shields. If I am right I recall that a solid mass attached to a wood wall transmits the heat directly to the wood and may after use eventually cause the wood to ignite. I hope that is not how you have it but just wondering. If not I would read up on the net about proper heat shield construction for bottom and sides to prevent the transfer of heat through the shield.

Enjoy your cabin, you have a great location for sure.

Larry

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.