Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My cabin shell (shed) - into living space
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
countryred
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 09:47

There was alot of work and planning to get your place and your lifes up and going. Hang in there, next few months will be tough but its easy to see after that you should be in great shape.
Maybe Derksen could make you a sales/ demo rep. Many folks are going with them and to see the finished product would help make a few sales.

Rifraf
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 10:29

CountryRed,

Thanks , I've been talking with the Derksen owner John Berryman, and the Derksen Engineer for several months. I've sold about 4 units for them but only get a very small referal fee. I do not have an ideal LOT space available.

countryred
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 12:40

I was thinking maybe a demo type thing, have people come by and check it out. Or maybe a Q and A type page on their website as far as interior finishing and construction etc.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 11:49

Hey Rifraf, any feedback on your Rheem water heater since you have been using it?? How is the power consumption? Any Issues??
Dave

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 12:38 - Edited by: Rifraf

Power consumption.. well my last electric bill was 80.00 with a full month of baths for 5, and AC 24 hrs a day, hot water for dishes and all that, as well as kids on the TV, Video games, computers ect.

It makes scolding water as long as you want it.. it starts out heating I think at 15amps and works up to 38amps in a matter of seconds.. Pretty much for as long as you use it your kicking out 38amps.

You could not use this unit for power washing because the water temp is dependent on how long it resides in the heating element.. faster the water the less time it has to heat. I have no issues with my faucets though they dont push it out fast enough to notice any cooldown , in fact I had to put the heater on 3/4 power

The only things worth noting on the heater is that is does crackle a bit when in use(electricity zapping the water and all), and it can add some air in the hot line from evaporation, also if you turn off the water for say 3 seconds then turn it back on the following 3-10 seconds of water is so hot it can seriously burn you.. I think the unit heats what is in the elements for a few seconds even when the pressure stops.. so when you start it back up again that super hot water comes at you.

I love it though, and it takes no space in my tiny home. My washer and dryer will eventually sit in front of it.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 22:18

Do you have it on a dedicated circuit? What amp? And one more thing...I leave my cabin unheated in the winter while I am gone...can the water be drained out of this unit? Thanks Dave

Rifraf
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 01:20 - Edited by: Rifraf

Dave,

yes the 9kw version has to run on a dedicated 40 amp line. Wiring is simple though the unit has three leads coming from it already , you dont have to crack the case open to wire it up, just attach you in and out pipe, connect your power and wha'la!

well I dont see why you couldnt drain it.. no different than any other part of your plumbing. It does not have any gates that prevent water from being purged. The heating elements are just metal tubing that the water passes through. For that matter you could unscrew your in and out pipes, disconnect from power and take it with you if you wanted to.

Slodave
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 07:01

a couple questions.

1. Did you have to have anything inspected by the code nazi's ?
2. Did you install a septic system? If so how much did it cost you?
3. Did you have a well put in? if so how much did it cost you?

Just trying to get a figure on the costs of stuff. Main thing im really interested in is the legality of using the Derksen buildings as a perm home. Have not been able to find much online about building codes for these.

Rifraf
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 13:57 - Edited by: Rifraf

Slodave,

Im in Wright county Missouri, no codes to deal with at all on the home, the wiring or internal plumbing.. and so no inspectors there

I had a lagoon installed and inspected, - 1400.00
I had a well drilled/dug to 420ft - 4100.00
I had the well pump and tank installed - 2100.00
Power Company installed my transformer and pole box - 200.00

My residence is 100% legal and accepted. I am registered with the 911 emergency (that's how you get an address ), the power company has my power installed, and I am receiving all my mail here at my Derksen shed home. In this county you can call the health department to find out what you have to do.. in my case anywhere outside of a town city limits there are no codes or regulations on the dwelling, and because my house is a portable shed nobody cares to come determine taxes aside from the land tax

The only rules they have are for waste water.. You have to have 3 acres minimum for any type of system, lagoons have to be at least 35ftx35ft from water edge to egde, and a minimum of 75ft x 75ft clearing for air and sunshine to get to the site, around here if you want a 1000 gallon concrete septic installed it will cost about 3500.00

Another very neat aspect of my location is, although im out of city limits im only 4 miles from the border, I have DSL internet lines here.. I really have not had to sacrifice anything aside from home size for this change.. granted there are lots of small adjustments to live in a 320sq ft home with three kids but nothing unbearable or life altering, the two 12x12 lofts are a lifesaver for us they provide the two older kids bedrooms.

I want to start collecting what I need to go off grid if ever needed, im paranoid about the economy and want to be prepared.. but thats a few years away for me at best.

cityconvert
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 10:58

Quoting: Slodave
a couple questions.

1. Did you have to have anything inspected by the code nazi's ?

Slodave,

I had the same question. I am considering building a very similar cabin. However, it would be entirely off-grid. I have my heart set on a 12x24, but if that includes being harassed by inspectors I may have to scale back the size a bit to avoid permits.

countryred
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 20:42

I think in rural Mo. inspections only happen for the septic tank / lagoon issues.

Slodave
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 10:35

Rifraf Thanks for the information. Really comes in handy.

countryred
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 10:55

How's the project going these days?

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 11:30 - Edited by: Rifraf

Progress on hold, its livable and comfortable but im looking for work, wife and I are sharing one car while she drives 40 minutes to work each day of the week. My two year old stays at home with me. Kids are getting broken into county living walking about 1/2 mile to the nearest bus stop each morning.

The most I think I will get done before winter is insulating under the cabin, insulating and heat taping my plumbing and making a small stick built well house with thermostat plug/heat lamp inside.

Money is a pain.. we'll finish eventually. I have feelers out there to do labor on weekends for folks but nothing yet

countryred
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 14:35

Hang in there, you are doing great. You are a true Pioneer, the winter stuff can wait and by then all the cards will be lined up.

My wife and I just changed jobs too. We went from driving 120 miles a day to less than 8. We have been doing the bean and rice plan since we have been married and finally are debt free, except the house. Even took my old credit card to the woods to meet a 16 gauge shotgun. I have it mounted!

We think about your cabin and our future acreage and cabin everyday.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 14:43

Quoting: Rifraf

Money is a pain.. we'll finish eventually

When is it not?

countryred
# Posted: 15 Sep 2012 08:03

good point. Things will turn around though.

Rifraf
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 09:27 - Edited by: Rifraf

Things are looking a little better. Money is still very tight but it's getting colder and were not insulated under the cabin, or around the plumbing or well. So that is what i'm working on right now. Attached are some current photos.

My well house is slow going, I dug a 2 foot trench and leveled a base in that with quickcrete for a starting point. The skirting im just framing from the cabin outmost edge to the ground like you would frame a wall, using treated 2x4s , then putting in fiberglass insulation and osb siding on that.. ill paint the osb later

I do have a question about the plumbing insulation..

my water lines run parallel on the long side under the cabin , only about 9-10 inches in from the outer sheathing.. but will have skirting insulated with r13, and foam pad insulation around the pipe itself.. will that be enough or should i use heat tape as well??

or perhaps a small infrared heater on a thermostat plug to warm the crawlspace ?

wellhouse base

[img=]skirting started[/img]skirting started

countryred
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 20:04

I would think the heat tape would do the trick.

Rifraf
# Posted: 3 Oct 2012 07:46

Thanks CR, I hope so.

Here's my latest video it shows more of the plumbing and how its run close the the outside edge of the cabin

youtube video link - skirting 1

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 09:06

my latest progress on the outside. Still a long ways to go. Have to paint the skirting pretty soon too.

cabin shot

countryred
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 08:13

Looks good!

Rifraf
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 16:37 - Edited by: Rifraf

Aside from mounting the door, im done with the well house .. may tweak the roof next spring. The roof may look odd to you, thats because I made it so that two people can slide it off and set it on the ground. Under it is another flat roof with a trap door you can open above the well pump, to pull it if need be .

WELL 11

WELL 10

WELL 12

countryred
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 12:35

Looks great! Should be much easier to work on that way.

Rifraf
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 21:51

Thanks,

Got all my heat tape wired and plugged in just in time, should reach about 25 deg. tonight. Also got a small 200 watt heater in the wellhouse.. Probably the last work outside ill have done until spring.

winter work done

smallspacelover
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 17:03

Hi Rifraf,

Your small home looks great.

I have a question if you don't mind. The price you gave for your well, pump and tank seems very good. Do you mind sharing who you used to do the work?

Did the same company drill the well and install the pump and tank?

Thank you for your help.

Rifraf
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 20:59 - Edited by: Rifraf

SmallSpaceLover,

Thanks, it was two different people, one for digging and one for installing the pump and tank. However this is a small region, lots of land but not heavily populated and these guys work the same jobs all the time, so from a customer perspective it was very much like using the same company. In fact the digger Brian was not available when I got my money to pay so I gave his money (cash) to Robert and Robert just gave it to him when they saw each other next.

Also, when I got the quote from them both, they drove out to my place together in one truck.

(note, you dont have to pay these guys with cash, they just did me a favor as it was easier at that time to get cash from the bank, I was out of checks and didnt get a cashiers check ahead of time. )

Are you in southern missouri ?

Their names are

Brian Grabber (digger)
Robert Stevens (pump + tank installer)
417 - 924 - 8944

They are nice guys, and appear very very honest. I got their information from another local who had hired them as well.

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 20:09

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site! I wasn't sure that I was just being foolish for thinking that I could try to convert a Derksen Portable building into a suitable dwelling place; it would be the perfect size as far as I am concerned. But I see here that others are doing that. I am grateful to see that!

Rifraf
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 20:04 - Edited by: Rifraf

I have a youtube channel I post my cabin stuff on. From there I have gotten requests to update the interior video. Its not changed much but I made a new one for it, You can see them here if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnECUWJU5A&list=PLE09044622B9409EB&index=32

This one just shows still photos in sequence, better if shaky cam makes you queezy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhCTwfXn6VQ&list=PLE09044622B9409EB&index=33

BigDuke6
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 21:54

Great thread, and nice job on your cabin! Two questions. Have you had any issue with the vents and insulation in your ceiling? And, what material did you use to finish out your ceiling?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.