Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Another small cabin (TLC) - CRIPPLE CREEK CABIN
creeg
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 12:15

I recently purchased a small cabin that will be a fixer upper project. The structure is about 70 years old and needs repair work. Previous owners really let some areas get into bad shape. ( I'll post some pictures ) Since the price was within what we could manage.. my wife and I are going to give it some proper TLC.
I'll post the progress...... I am not a builder or really have any experience doing this so...if you have any tips or advice for me ..I would appreciate it.
front view
front view
left front
left front
back view
back view
old outhouse...now shed
old outhouse...now shed

naturelover66
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 12:47 - Edited by: naturelover66

congratulations! the place has character..... how big is the property?

customrunner
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 13:40

congratulations and welcome to the cabin club looks like a great start were is it located?

hattie
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 14:59

This place looks great! I can't wait to follow your progress with it. Our cabin is 100 years old this year and when we purchased it, all the walls inside were covered in graffitti, it had no electricity, running water or septic. It took a lot of work to bring it back, but what a labour of love it was and we have never regretted it. We have been living in our cabin full-time for going on 5 years now.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 21:18

I like the looks of your cabin. It just has the "cabin" look. As far as you not having a lot of experience with building things like this...that will make you just about like most others on here.

My son (Old Buddy) and I have had such a great time building our cabin which his family, my daughter's family and my wife and I can enjoy. It never really seems like work....until I would get home and my back would be aching!

I think you'll find it very rewarding. There are many beautiful cabins on this thread and then there's a lot like ours too. Just a small cabin for hunting and camping with the grandkids. Maybe a little shooting too!

Good luck with your renovation!

Old Old Buddy

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 13:04

we only own the cabin....its 1 of 25 cabins located at the bottom of a valley with a spring fed lake in the center. we have hydro and can tap into the artisan wells for water. all cabin owners are members of a group that split the property tax of the land. Its located in upstate New York. Amish Country. the only real rules are you are not allowed to erect any kind of Fence ( fine by me ) from what we can tell so far everyone seems friendly.
thanks for the reply.

creeg
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 13:11

Hey Old Old Buddy

I hear you..

I have already started to clear out the stream that runs beside it...which has lead to the name of or cottage....the "CRIPPLE CREEK CABIN."

Borrego
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 16:14

Now this has character! good luck with the work and fire away with questions....

creeg
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 16:36

Foundation post troubles....just wondering what would be the best way to correct this mix n match of post foundation poles..some are bricks stacked up, some are hard wood poles, some are actual tree stumps....with the odd brick an shim mixed in. The ground always appears to be wet around the entire raised section of the cabin. It is starting to show some sagging but this cabin is not ready to fall over yet..it appears solid at the same time. not sure if I would be able to pour new concrete sono tube posts to replace or not....as soon as i start to dig, water is going to appear no doubt. any ideas?
post_foundation_1.jp.jpg
post_foundation_1.jp.jpg
post_foundation_2.jp.jpg
post_foundation_2.jp.jpg
post_foundation_4020.jpg
post_foundation_4020.jpg
post_foundation_5.jp.jpg
post_foundation_5.jp.jpg

creeg
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 16:42

Here are a few more shots
004.jpg
004.jpg
015.jpg
015.jpg
019.jpg
019.jpg

oldbuddy
# Posted: 8 Feb 2012 21:53

I was wondering if you had enough clearance to bolt three 2"X8"'s together and run underneath the cabin and use concrete blocks to support the beam in 3 or 4 places throughout the width of the 2"X8" beam? I can't tell how long or wide you cabin is. If It was 16' or less the beam would or could work. If you had more clearance you could use 2"X10"'s.

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend vs. how much time are you really going to be there and how much will it increase the value of the cabin once you're done. You know what I mean?

I guess you could crawl underneath the cabin, dig holes to a footer depth and pour concrete pads where your concrete blocks will set. If it was me, I would use a large beam on either side sittin on concrete blocks with hardwood shims. In any event..if you use a man-made beam...make it out of treated lumber...you'll never regret that.

Olde Old Buddy

creeg
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 09:15

Good idea Bud,
At this point I just want to make sure the structure is sound and the roof won't leak. I'm goin nuts just waiting for May to roll around. What you are suggesting makes sense and is worth investigating. My only problem may be how wet the ground is near the posts, I'll find out soon i guess what I am up against.
thanks for the advice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.