Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Log Cabin
elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 6 Jan 2010 18:28 - Edited by: elkdiebymybow

We have been working on our cabin for about 7 years. I'm ready to add the final chinking between the logs(Chincker's Edge) after an application of insect control.(Penetreat). We spend time hanging out year round, no water or electricity but I hope to add a solar/wind off grid system in the future. For my foundation, I excavated 3 feet into the earth, filled that with crushed stone and ran 2x12" pressure treated lumber which I set the first log course on. Logs were lagged with 1/2" re-bar after coped into place. For the inside floor, I motared large 3" thick slabs of stone in place over the crushed stone. It keeps it roughly 18 degrees cooler in the summer than outside temps. It was -1F last week outside and 28F on the inside.
Trees down!
Trees down!
looking like the model?
looking like the model?
Putting up some firewood
Putting up some firewood
Big Snow in 2008
Big Snow in 2008

Jerry
# Posted: 6 Jan 2010 19:11

Looks great!! What's the exterior dimensions, and where are you located? did you add the loft like in the small model? Just curious cause it's similar to my plan. thanks

Jerry

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 6 Jan 2010 19:20

Some more pics....
stone floor in process
stone floor in process
saw'n
saw'n
Hanging out
Hanging out
thanksgiving dinner
thanksgiving dinner

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 6 Jan 2010 19:28

Jerry- It is 14' x 24' with a loft at the back that is 12' deep and a small upper loft to the front that is about 4' and a little higher than the main loft. It is pretty much like the model we built but we set the stove on one side in the middle for better heat. We are located in Central Idaho.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 09:36

That's a great log cabin, elkdiebymybow!
Thanks for sharing pictures.

steveqvs
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 09:47

Wow very nice. Did you fell the trees and debark them? I hope to someday have an awesome cabin. I like the way you did the roof.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 10:10

Steve,

Yes, I cut the trees from the site and used some old fashioned draw knives I bought at an antique shop to peel the bark. It peeled off easily when the trees were green. I stacked piles and let them dry for a year before i began construction. We typically get 4-6' of snow up there and the roof covers a nice area both in front and on the back of the cabin. The sides get a little tight with all the snow falling off the roof but there is just enough room to stack up a winters supply of fire wood. I would have liked to have been able to extend the roof out a bit more on the sides but were didn't want to block views out the window. Had my walls been a bit taller, this would have given me a little more room under the roof along both sides- but it works pretty well for a guy that only built forts in the woods as a kid!

marr708
# Posted: 10 Jan 2010 19:03

Wow, your cabin is the coolest! I always wanted to do a cabin similar to yours, however, on my land in New Mexico all we have are spindly little Pinon pines. Hardly the tree of choice for a magnificent cabin, such as yours. Great job on the floor and the furniture. The elk hide is a nice touch as well.

JRanch
# Posted: 10 Jan 2010 21:12

marr709,
Where in NM is your place?

I have some land about 20 miles north of Quemado, NM

Keith

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 11 Jan 2010 15:19

Thanks Marr! You should consider an adobe cabin or something to fit that NM environment. I try to use all items from animals and not only does the elk hide look nice as a wall hanger it provides a little insulation as well. I've got several hides throught the cabin- it is very much a trapper-esk motif! My favorite is a big bear I tagged 30 minutes east of the site. My wife gets credit for the furniture.

mar708
# Posted: 6 Feb 2010 03:22

JRanch, I'm in Santa Fe county in the Sangre de Cristo's. I've hunted in Unit 12 above Quemado, so I kind of know the area. Bigger trees in the higher eleations. Very nice place to build. Good luck.
-Marr708

mar708
# Posted: 6 Feb 2010 03:40

Elkdiebymybow, Fortunately, I already live in an adobe monster house. So, I'm also going [cabin-wise] towards the trapper-esque-man cave. Since we are moving several cabins to our property, my wife and I each get our own. Hers will be a Ralph Lauren cozy rustic rereat, straight out of Sundance catalog. My cabin will be more like a cross between Cabela's and a Stripper Hall of Fame. Elk skins, whiskey bottles, dart boards, nudie calenders, rifle racks and any politically incorrect signage shall grace the walls of my cabin. Ideally, it should look like a real dangerous Cracker Barrel restuarant, Ha!

joseeanneb
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 14:00

Very nice cabin! Last year we bought a log house at Timberblock... we didn't had the time to build it ourselves like you did!

Nice job!
Josée-Anne

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.