Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 24 Missouri Cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
missouriboy
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:35

This week I started on the trim for the windows, door and baseboard. Unfortunately I probably will not be able to get down there to finish the trim for a week or more.
276.JPG
276.JPG

MJW
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:25

Very nice!

rockies
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 19:20

Hi, I'm looking at the picture "loft rails" and it looks like a steep staircase goes up to a triangular platform that connects to a loft? I see a door underneath on the right that isn't red and looks like it goes to a back room. I was wondering if you added a second loft at the back of the cabin? I can see a loft over the front red door in pic "004", but what is happening in pic "loft rails"?

missouriboy
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 20:41

Rockies, those are pictures of MJW's cabin he posted showing how he used tongue and groove. His cabin looks great but it is not my cabin.

missouriboy
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 21:29

Thought you all might like to see a picture of a B2 Bomber. Since my cabin is not to far from Whiteman Air Force base as the B2 flies I see them on a regular basis. It is always pretty cool to see them fly by.
DSCF5746.JPG
DSCF5746.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 18:05

Finished the trim last week. This weekend my wife and I put the countertop on the cabinets and added the shelves in the kitchen. So I am basically done with the cabin. The only big item left to do is stain the porch. The rest is just to enjoy.
299.JPG
299.JPG
292.JPG
292.JPG
302.JPG
302.JPG
300.JPG
300.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 11:53

I had the perfect weather Saturday to stain the front porch. It was sunny and in the upper 60's with little to no wind. Could not have asked for a more perfect day. The day started out with a 2 hour walk around the farm. The first thing I found was where something had Turkey for dinner. All that was left was a leg bone and some feathers. I saw two coyotes. I watched one as he was hunting for his breakfast about 40 yards ahead me. Never knew I was there as the wind was in my favor. I saw over a dozen deer. The best part was when one jumped the fence 20 yards in front of me and started walking straight toward me. A little 4 point buck, he got within 10 yards of me and only when I pulled the camera out did he stop. Slowly turned around and walked off. All in all a beautiful morning for a walk through the woods and fields. And to top it off I got the porch stained before I left. Here is the deer and a before and after picture of the porch.
009.JPG
009.JPG
305.JPG
305.JPG
318.JPG
318.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 20:38

Bummer! So no codes to worry about in the county where my cabin is but I did get a notice from my insurance company. I need to add a handrail to the steps on the front porch or they will cancel my liability insurance. Guess I have another project now.

missouriboy
# Posted: 23 Nov 2013 21:43

Insurance company should be happy now.
323.JPG
323.JPG

neb
# Posted: 24 Nov 2013 08:06

Looks very nice!

missouriboy
# Posted: 24 Nov 2013 10:07

Thanks Neb.

beachman
# Posted: 24 Nov 2013 17:14

Yes, insurance companies do not want any risk. I hope you never have to make a claim. It is a good thing you put on the railings. If your place was hit by lightning, the Insurance company might deny any claim if the place was not up to code. Good luck!

smithk
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 21:07

Your cabin looks very nice. Love the ceiling and floors.

missouriboy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 22:15

Thanks, It has been fun building it.

Taiwin
# Posted: 30 Jan 2014 21:56

Great job

knock
# Posted: 31 Jan 2014 21:30

I like the counter tops. What did you use? Did you make them yourself?

ErinsMom
# Posted: 31 Jan 2014 22:34

love the red door. I have one at my house!

missouriboy
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 08:08

Thank you for the comments. Knock, I did make the countertops. They are made of maple. I made them in 3 sections then joined them together. If I had to do it over I would still do 3 sections but do 3 the entire length instead of 3 in full width. It was hard getting the finger joints to go together and by doing the full length I would not have to deal with that. It was a good learning project though.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 10:01

nice looking project. congrats on the countertop. that's a tough project.

razmichael
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 12:11

Quoting: missouriboy
Thank you for the comments. Knock, I did make the countertops.

I was going to ask the same question as knock - they look great. I'm planning the kitchen cabinets and counter for the early spring and have been debating how to do the countertops. One thing I was considering is using solid wood flooring pieces and, after a light sanding, adding a couple of additional coats of varnish to seal the cracks. my concern is how well it will hold up to the unheated winters and damp summers. Other option is hardwood plywood finished.

knock
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 22:44

raz - I am going to use hardwood flooring to make my counter tops. I have about 45 sq ft of unfinished white pine that I have left over from a flooring job on my old house.

Good way to get rid of the leftover and have a piece of our former house.

Rossman
# Posted: 3 Feb 2014 08:10

Quoting: missouriboy
This week I started on the trim for the windows, door and baseboard. Unfortunately I probably will not be able to get down there to finish the trim for a week or more.
276.JPG

I *love* this wood ceiling, the "blue stain" effect is great!!

missouriboy
# Posted: 3 Feb 2014 09:11

I have a friend that used left over flooring for countertops on cabinets in his workshop. They work great but for a kitchen I would be concerned about the cracks getting crumbs and spills, etc. in them. You might want to consider gluing them tightly together so they cannot expand and contract as they do when only nailed. Great way to use up left over flooring and can look really great.

missouriboy
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 19:21

Finally the weather broke enough to get down to the cabin. It was 64 yesterday and about 54 today. Last night it got down to 26 but the little electric heater kept it very comfortable in the cabin. Got a few errands done. Took down a small table I made (the top only) to use for a kitchen table. I got the base off Craigs list and painted it. Everything is brown, although the native grass is pretty this time of the year. But, I am ready for spring and for things to green up.
Native_Grass.JPG
Native_Grass.JPG
021.JPG
021.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 2 Apr 2014 08:46

So I finally had time to start on the outdoor shower. I was using left over posts, wood and brick for the floor. I will have to buy a few more boards to finish it out. The front area will be a little changing area and the shower on the other side.
006.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
009.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 13 Apr 2014 12:00

Finished up the outdoor shower this past week. My wife also made curtains for cabin. Glad to have them. At least they will stop any snooping at the inside when we are away. Looking forward to some time at the cabin in the next couple of weeks doing some crappie fishing and mushroom hunting. I think Spring is finally here.
352.JPG
352.JPG

ErinsMom
# Posted: 17 Apr 2014 07:14

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Apr 2014 08:22

shrooms (morels) and some nice fried crappie slabs will be tasty!!!! your camp is looking good!!!

missouriboy
# Posted: 30 Apr 2014 11:16

The weather has taken a turn for the colder side but the good news is I did find a good mess of mushrooms and pretty good luck with the crappie fishing last week. Hopefully I will get a chance to go again next week. I also added a couple of benches around the campfire with some left over wood from a deck my brother had built and some wood I had. Free benches other that the time to build them is a good deal to me.
359.JPG
359.JPG

missouriboy
# Posted: 2 Jun 2014 13:00

Thought I would give an update on the Ecotemp L5 instant hot water heater for anyone interesting in getting one now that the outdoor shower is done and we have had a chance to use it several times. Here are the negatives I have experienced with it. We have a well on our property but no pressure tank. We run a hose straight from the faucet on the well to the ecotemp. Because there is no pressure tank the pump cycles on and off, which in turn changes the pressure going to the Ecotemp. As the pressure changes so does the water temperature. The other issue I have had is even though it is inside the shower house, which is pretty open, (See pictures above) if it is very windy it will blow out the flame which heats the water. That will wake you up pretty quick. Besides those two issues I have not had any other issues. It will produce water so hot you can't stand in it if you are not careful. It is hot within one or two seconds after turning it on. So with a couple of negatives I have to say I would highly recommend it. It is great to have a nice shower after working all day and the wife loves it.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.